JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this pistol for my older brother as a Christmas present, and the gentleman I bought it from purchased it brand new and only shot it twice. I was wondering what the value of this pistol is? I got it pretty cheap because the man was on hard times.

E165CC14-F88A-4033-BF4A-67E55192FA06.png

When cornered down a dark alley by a bunch of hooligans that revolver maybe priceless. :s0062:
Don't worry about the value just shoot it and be happy. :D

I bought this pistol for my older brother as a Christmas present, and the gentleman I bought it from purchased it brand new and only shot it twice. I was wondering what the value of this pistol is? I got it pretty cheap because the man was on hard times.

View attachment 1794665
Moot question, because its your brothers now.

Unless you opted not to give it to him, and now wish to sell it.

According to "True Gun Value" website charts, with over 70 sold recently.

Average New Price $716.00

Average Used Price $615.79

I figure the warranty from a reputable firm such as Ruger is worth $100 to me. So if someone buys a gun new , then turns around and sells it new in box with all paperwork and goodies having never fired it, I would need to see a price at least $100 lower than what I could get the gun for buying brand new from a gun shop.

But in actuality I would want to see the price lower than new by more $100 because there are additional risks buying from an individual and a stranger. The gun could be stolen. The seller could be lying about not having fired the gun. The first owner may have played with the gun a lot even if he never fired it. And if its a revolver, closed the cylinder by flipping the gun like in the movies and caused the lockup to be damaged or gun to go out of timing. Or caused damage to the cylinder stop lever or cylinder stop grooves in cylinder. Finally, getting a gun someone else bought, then rejected selects for lemons compared with guns the first buyer keeps. In addition, if there are tritium sights they may have faded if the first buyer has sat on the gun for some years. And batteries in optics might have run down. How much any of these things are a worry depends on how much I believe what the seller tells me. If the gun is being sold to me, an Oregonian without my own FFL, by a seller who also has no ffl, my fee for the participation of a local ffl plus background check will cost me $50 more.

So I'd suggest a price at least $100 lower than brand new for a gun that is being resold by a first buyer I trust if I lived somewhere that didn't have transfer costs imposed by the state and $150 since I live in Oregon.

Exceptions: If I can't easily buy the gun from a local gun store without ordering it and committing to it sight unseen. Or if the gun comes with extra goodies such as extra magazines and/or a holster.

If you want to buy someone a gun as a present, I suggest doing it in such a way that they are the original buyer of record and they have a good warranty. Such as go with them to the gun store and let them pick out the gun they want after telling them how much you will contribute. That way they can get a more expensive gun if they are willing to cover the difference themselves . And they are the original buyer of record.

I agree with all of the above 👆

Buds has the 6 shot with
wood inlay grips for $874.00

$700-800 for a local sale because it is a 7 shot and hard to find.

Copied from rugerdotcom

ruggp.JPG

Last Edited:
7 shot .357s never really command a premium.
Are you crazy? "NEVER"?

Well, you're wrong there buddy. Because I've got a pre-lock S&W 686 plus 4" barrel and I'm commanding $7,500 for it. (Okay, so I may never actually get that, but that's sorta the idea and why I'm "commanding" that much.) :p

I figure the warranty from a reputable firm such as Ruger is worth $100 to me.
I'm not sure I understand this sentence. Ruger warranties their guns. It doesn't matter if you bought it new or second hand. My first revolver was a used New Model Blackhawk that had a timing issue. Ruger didn't care that I'd bought it second hand and repaired it at no charge. I believe that most manufacturers do, too. It's likely a liability issue.

I agree that I'm not likely to pay retail for a gun that's been in someone else's hands first.

I recently bought another 686. I really wanted the 686+ to replace the one I used to have, but I couldn't find one. Of course, one popped up about a month later...

Are you crazy? "NEVER"?

Well, you're wrong there buddy. Because I've got a pre-lock S&W 686 plus 4" barrel and I'm commanding $7,500 for it. (Okay, so I may never actually get that, but that's sorta the idea and why I'm "commanding" that much.) :p
If it's a 4" and you drop that last zero, I'd like to talk to you. :)

Hello @Oregun

Thanks for bring up the point about whether all gun manufacturers have a perpetual warranty. The last time I bought a new gun was decades ago.

The ruger website doesn't say anything about the warranty I can find. Various ruger forums say different things. One says they have no written warranty but generally will repair their guns if bought in USA or Canada for the life of the gun. And the warranty was automatically transferred to subsequent owners. But it didn't cover all models. You can call their service center and find out if your gun is covered. I could find nothing about a warranty on the ruger site. Meaning with no written warranty they have no legal obligation except those established by USA law, and can cancel or change their current practices at any time. But judging by the current forums and your experience apparently if there is something wrong with the original gun they will fix it for free whether you are the original owner or not. And you don't need proof of purchase either.

Info on the SW website says their warranty is a lifetime warranty to the original owner only.

Info in a FAQ on the Colt website said there was no express warranty but there are USA laws that apply. And their guns are under warranty to the original purchaser only for one year.

So it sounds like if you are buying a used SW or Colt from a first owner, you have, indeed, lost the warranty. And since the SW warranty is for life of the original owner and SW is good and honorable about warrant work that's significant. But sounds like with a Ruger you don't lose the warranty by being second owner. Taurus has such a horrid rep for warranty work that I wouldn't consider their warranty worth anything whatever they say about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top