JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So everyone knows 1MOA is the benchmark of pretty good shooting at 100 yards off a bench or bags or what have you. Is there a generally accepted proficiency for shooting offhand, leaning against a tree, etc., from which a hunter may have to take a shot? Obviously, a lot goes into this, such as field conditions, your level of fitness, how exhausted you are, etc. But at what level of shooting would you be impressed by real world conditions shooting? I've never shot an animal beyond 100 yards, as it was nearly impossible to see farther than that where I hunted growing up back east. However, where I live currently, I can see over 300 yards in several directions on the property, so I feel like I need to improve my skills. I figure anything beyond 150 or 200 yards will allow me to establish a more stable rest if I'm careful, so my goal is to be able to hit an 8" target at 200 yards. That's 4MOA, which seems doable, and is my goal. But all that aside, what's considered good at that range shooting from offhand or using a tree trunk as a rest?

With my trusty .300 winny I put 4 rounds into the base of a pop can at it's zero which is 300 yrds. Nowadays I am honestly not as steady and will use a steady rest of what ever is available. I have been a shooter all my life and pride myself on one shot kills. If I have any doubt I pass on the shot. I have become a big fan of quality bi-pods.

I go by how far I keep a full magazine on a pie plate (standard 9 inch plate) under field conditions as the maximum distance I'd shoot at a deer. I call it "minute of pie plate". This changes depending on the rifle and shooting position. For me shooting a standard 7 1/2lb rifle with a 6x scope, thats about 100 yards off hand, 150 yards kneeling, 300 yards seated off shooting sticks or prone with no rest, 400 prone with a rest.
This is a great way to do it!

Bottom line is you should be confident that you can make a clean an effective kill at the moment you take the shot no matter what the situation, position, or weapon. Ive been around people that make incredible shots in the heat of the moment and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at the range, I've also been around people that do great at the range and panic when the pressure is on. For me It's not about how well you can shoot it's about knowing and understanding your limitations.

If you can shoot a 4 in group at 100 yards off a bench thats pretty good ... And if you can consistently hit a 8in plate at 100 yards shooting off hand your doing pretty good ... Now with open sights the stander should be about the same ... But bottom line dont take a shot your not comfortable with...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.nFCtLCqSktlgu0zGyRClqQAAAA%26pid%3D15.jpg

So,when you shoot at a soup can and miss it by one inch, is this a bad shot....LOL!
My shooting pard and I often shoot at clay's with iron sighted muzzleloaders at 100 yds. off hand.We hit it often, and when we miss it's usually by an inch or two. It will be a killing shot with a hit or slight miss. Unless we are aiming at some place other than the boiler room.:rolleyes: We don't try sniper shots on game. More than just accuracy to take in to account at long ranges.Be a hunter first and you won't need to be a sniper. (In most cases)

I'm sure your point is quite valid, smoothbore, but what you wrote doesn't totally make sense to me...

"So,when you shoot at a soup can and miss it by one inch, is this a bad shot...It will be a killing shot with a hit or slight miss."

In the case of this thread, the point of taking the shot is to hit the target. If you miss, its a bad shot. Everyone knows that.
If a shot misses, it cannot kill....because....it misses.
Sorry, and don't mean to come off mean, but what I quoted just threw me. It doesn't make sense.

I'm sure your point is quite valid, smoothbore, but what you wrote doesn't totally make sense to me...

"So,when you shoot at a soup can and miss it by one inch, is this a bad shot...It will be a killing shot with a hit or slight miss."

In the case of this thread, the point of taking the shot is to hit the target. If you miss, its a bad shot. Everyone knows that.
If a shot misses, it cannot kill....because....it misses.
Sorry, and don't mean to come off mean, but what I quoted just threw me. It doesn't make sense.

Well, If your target was the heart, and you missed it an inch or two left,right,up or down, the results would be dead deer. Better than a pie plate;)

Most people can master a scoped rifle enough to kill out to 200yds or so in a fairly short amount of time unless prone to "buck fever", 2 moa will get it done. It is up to each individual to know their limits and pass on shots they do not feel confident to make. Practising with the same load and rifle from the bench and in different field positions will help your confidence as your marksmanship improves. Even though under 1 moa is rarely needed, I find it really helps to know you and your weapon are capable of such accuracy. Sucessfully harvesting animals under different conditions and distances really boosts confidence and broadens your lethality. I think these long range hunting shows really send the wrong message to new hunters. Being a marksman is part of being a good hunter but first and formost should be learning the skills to sneak as close a possible to ensure a clean kill. I get as much or more satisfaction from sneaking within bow range of my quarry and making a clean kill than making a clean kill with a long shot. It is good to know you are capable of longer shots if necessary but in my mind you should never settle for a long shot if you know you can close the distance for a shorter shot. I have hunted with some pretty accomplished hunters over the years, many that I know I can outshoot. In the end they often harvest older more mature animals than I because of their savvy in the field. My .02 worth anyway.

Most people can master a scoped rifle enough to kill out to 200yds or so in a fairly short amount of time unless prone to "buck fever", 2 moa will get it done. It is up to each individual to know their limits and pass on shots they do not feel confident to make. Practising with the same load and rifle from the bench and in different field positions will help your confidence as your marksmanship improves. Even though under 1 moa is rarely needed, I find it really helps to know you and your weapon are capable of such accuracy. Sucessfully harvesting animals under different conditions and distances really boosts confidence and broadens your lethality. I think these long range hunting shows really send the wrong message to new hunters. Being a marksman is part of being a good hunter but first and formost should be learning the skills to sneak as close a possible to ensure a clean kill. I get as much or more satisfaction from sneaking within bow range of my quarry and making a clean kill than making a clean kill with a long shot. It is good to know you are capable of longer shots if necessary but in my mind you should never settle for a long shot if you know you can close the distance for a shorter shot. I have hunted with some pretty accomplished hunters over the years, many that I know I can outshoot. In the end they often harvest older more mature animals than I because of their savvy in the field. My .02 worth anyway.

:s0101:
I cannot like this enough, Nailed it!
When growing up and learning all the skills of the hunt, the one thing always impressed upon me was the shooting requirement, being a 'Rifleman" that can make a clean kill no matter the range! We were taught the skill of shooting with Iron Sights and were not allowed to use any type of optic from binos to scope, you had to get close enough to see and identify your animal and then decide when/if to shoot! This forced us to learn if we wanted to be successful. It also taught us to stalk close and to take our time to line up the shot, ensuring a clean ethical kill!
TO many new hunters never learn to shoot properly, they never learn to use Iron Sights, and they rely in their scope to "TELL" where to aim and shoot, often causing a less then ideal kill if at all.

See now i hate shooting clays with rifles ... Looks like trash it is trash ... Shoot steel cuz when you miss steel you miss steel ... When,you miss a clay you could still break the clay ... And when you hit steel you get a nice satisfying ding ... When you hit clays you get a mess ...

...the SOB might run for a while before actually dying, though....but I see your point now. Thanks for clarifying it.

Dean
Thing is, it may run 50 yds or so with a heart shot.My last deer was killed with a 62 cal. round ball.Complete pass through and a big old nasty hole out the back side.He just walked a few yds and keeled over,but if he had run away's, the blood trail would be easy to follow.If you can hit a soup can, or scare it..... off hand, at 100yds, your good to go on deer or elk. Wouldn't get you Olympic gold though.:) Have a good one friend!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top