What is the standard for good shooting in hunting conditions?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by 2DaMtns, May 16, 2018.

1. 2DaMtns

2DaMtns
    Eugene-ish, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

So everyone knows 1MOA is the benchmark of pretty good shooting at 100 yards off a bench or bags or what have you. Is there a generally accepted proficiency for shooting offhand, leaning against a tree, etc., from which a hunter may have to take a shot? Obviously, a lot goes into this, such as field conditions, your level of fitness, how exhausted you are, etc. But at what level of shooting would you be impressed by real world conditions shooting? I've never shot an animal beyond 100 yards, as it was nearly impossible to see farther than that where I hunted growing up back east. However, where I live currently, I can see over 300 yards in several directions on the property, so I feel like I need to improve my skills. I figure anything beyond 150 or 200 yards will allow me to establish a more stable rest if I'm careful, so my goal is to be able to hit an 8" target at 200 yards. That's 4MOA, which seems doable, and is my goal. But all that aside, what's considered good at that range shooting from offhand or using a tree trunk as a rest?

2. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Minute of Heart at whatever range your shooting at;)

3. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I go by how far I keep a full magazine on a pie plate (standard 9 inch plate) under field conditions as the maximum distance I'd shoot at a deer. I call it “minute of pie plate”. This changes depending on the rifle and shooting position. For me shooting a standard 7 1/2lb rifle with a 6x scope, thats about 100 yards off hand, 150 yards kneeling, 300 yards seated off shooting sticks or prone with no rest, 400 prone with a rest.

4. SIG34

SIG34
    Lynnwood WA

My dad always used to say !
    If you can’t hit a “Soup can” don’t take the shot ! :D

3MTA3, Jamie6.5, 156256Hunter and 6 others like this.
  5. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If the critter falls down its a good shot. If you let it get back up you made a mistake.

6. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    non-snowflake millennial constitutionalist/patriot Gold Supporter

1 shot 1 kill is what i aim for :D

usually minute of pie plate

7. Stomper

Stomper
    SHUT YOUR FACE!!
    SHUT YOUR FACE!! Gold Supporter

These right here.... ;)

8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

minute of turtle

th?id=OIP.zpusGVjT0SOi10s9F1DLaQHaE0&w=238&h=154&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

9. Twodogs

Twodogs
    portland Or

it's funny that I can make one good shot on an animal that I couldn't do on paper,grew up head shooting squirrels and rabbits it made deer seem easy never really shoot past 150 yard on anything.

DeanMk and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. IOM

IOM
    ONP, Wa

There is no one rule for shooting positions for hunting...:eek:

One to live by though is the clean kill shot, don't let the animal suffer, take the shot ONLY if your competent and comfortable with, the range is based on skill level...:)

11. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Practice...
    Practice off the bench ...
    In different lighting...
    After hiking a bit...
    In the wind , rain , etc...
    Practice with the load you want to hunt with , in the rifle you are going to hunt with ....
    Find the load you hit the most often with , with how you shoot and practice some more with it ...till how you shoot and handle your rifle is "second nature" / muscle memory.
    Practice in the off season , take a hike with your rifle , scout with your rifle , when possible and safe to do so...Take a few practice "hunting shots" while scouting...

Granted this all takes time and money...but you owe it to the animal hunted to be the best hunter that you can be.

What this looks like for me is :
    When hunting with my Hawken rifle if I can get within 100 yards , I usually feel pretty good about the shot.
    Can I shoot further than that...yes...But I do not practice enough at that range to be comfortable shooting at a game animal at that distance.
    What this looks like to you , can be different ....it all comes down to how you practice....
    Andy

12. Colts4me

Colts4me
    Valley floor

Jeff Cooper set a standard for a good rifleman many years ago. He said a good rifleman should be able to hit a tea cup at 100 yards on demand from any rifle shooting position. It was back when rifles were a common subject.

Tully Mars, Joe13, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  13. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

I can hit a tea cup at 400 yards. With a few magazines :)

14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff

We were always taught a version of the "aim small, miss small" mantra, that usually translated to about 8 inch circles or an old #10 can lid! I follow Andy's standards, practice the hunt with the rifle and loads I'm going to use, and in the area like I'm going to be hunting. Weather conditions are the only thing I cannot accuratey replicate, but if I do every thing else exactly the same, I should be good! Where I hunt, there are lots of clear with no underbrush and few trees to help brace from, so the Riflemans sling and stance are the most efficient for me unless the distances force a more supported shot, then it's the old sitting and resting the rifle on a knee with the sling locked in tight, or prone if able to get down on my pack and get a good sight picture! My rule of thumb, if I cannot make the shot with irons, it's too far to take with a scope and guarantee a clean and ethical kill!

15. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

^ Agreed. Our home range is up the hill and at times I've deliberatly set and starting shooting right way as it was after a mild hike. That and on occasion have purposely trained in the craptastic weather (wet, wind, snow, etc.).

16. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

just never take a shot you haven't practiced beforehand. All other things being equal, you should 'know' you can make the shot on any animal you hunt...

17. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR

during my Black Powder shooting days it was common to use a small styrofoam coffee cup at 100+ yards as a target in a shoot off. I could hit one maybe 8 out of 10 times with my Hawkin (34" Green Mountain target barrel 1-72" round ball twist) standing. Never tried it kneeing or sitting.

2DaMtns and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Capn Jack

Capn Jack
    Wet-Stern Washington

I think we've all kind of over looked the cardinal rule. The one that talks about, "Being sure of your target." :eek:
    Accuracy of bullet placement is secondary to this.:rolleyes:

JustSomeGuy and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. IOM

IOM
    ONP, Wa

4 Hunting Rules.jpg

Ura-Ki and Capn Jack like this.
  20. Twodogs

Twodogs
    portland Or

Hunting coyotes has helped me get good with shooting sticks, seeing a lot of guys using a tripod.

Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.