JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So everyone knows 1MOA is the benchmark of pretty good shooting at 100 yards off a bench or bags or what have you. Is there a generally accepted proficiency for shooting offhand, leaning against a tree, etc., from which a hunter may have to take a shot? Obviously, a lot goes into this, such as field conditions, your level of fitness, how exhausted you are, etc. But at what level of shooting would you be impressed by real world conditions shooting? I've never shot an animal beyond 100 yards, as it was nearly impossible to see farther than that where I hunted growing up back east. However, where I live currently, I can see over 300 yards in several directions on the property, so I feel like I need to improve my skills. I figure anything beyond 150 or 200 yards will allow me to establish a more stable rest if I'm careful, so my goal is to be able to hit an 8" target at 200 yards. That's 4MOA, which seems doable, and is my goal. But all that aside, what's considered good at that range shooting from offhand or using a tree trunk as a rest?

I go by how far I keep a full magazine on a pie plate (standard 9 inch plate) under field conditions as the maximum distance I'd shoot at a deer. I call it "minute of pie plate". This changes depending on the rifle and shooting position. For me shooting a standard 7 1/2lb rifle with a 6x scope, thats about 100 yards off hand, 150 yards kneeling, 300 yards seated off shooting sticks or prone with no rest, 400 prone with a rest.

minute of turtle

th?id=OIP.zpusGVjT0SOi10s9F1DLaQHaE0&w=238&h=154&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

it's funny that I can make one good shot on an animal that I couldn't do on paper,grew up head shooting squirrels and rabbits it made deer seem easy never really shoot past 150 yard on anything.

There is no one rule for shooting positions for hunting...:eek:

One to live by though is the clean kill shot, don't let the animal suffer, take the shot ONLY if your competent and comfortable with, the range is based on skill level...:)

Practice...
Practice off the bench ...
In different lighting...
After hiking a bit...
In the wind , rain , etc...
Practice with the load you want to hunt with , in the rifle you are going to hunt with ....
Find the load you hit the most often with , with how you shoot and practice some more with it ...till how you shoot and handle your rifle is "second nature" / muscle memory.
Practice in the off season , take a hike with your rifle , scout with your rifle , when possible and safe to do so...Take a few practice "hunting shots" while scouting...

Granted this all takes time and money...but you owe it to the animal hunted to be the best hunter that you can be.

What this looks like for me is :
When hunting with my Hawken rifle if I can get within 100 yards , I usually feel pretty good about the shot.
Can I shoot further than that...yes...But I do not practice enough at that range to be comfortable shooting at a game animal at that distance.
What this looks like to you , can be different ....it all comes down to how you practice....
Andy

Jeff Cooper set a standard for a good rifleman many years ago. He said a good rifleman should be able to hit a tea cup at 100 yards on demand from any rifle shooting position. It was back when rifles were a common subject.

Jeff Cooper set a standard for a good rifleman many years ago. He said a good rifleman should be able to hit a tea cup at 100 yards on demand from any rifle shooting position. It was back when rifles were a common subject.

I can hit a tea cup at 400 yards. With a few magazines :)

We were always taught a version of the "aim small, miss small" mantra, that usually translated to about 8 inch circles or an old #10 can lid! I follow Andy's standards, practice the hunt with the rifle and loads I'm going to use, and in the area like I'm going to be hunting. Weather conditions are the only thing I cannot accuratey replicate, but if I do every thing else exactly the same, I should be good! Where I hunt, there are lots of clear with no underbrush and few trees to help brace from, so the Riflemans sling and stance are the most efficient for me unless the distances force a more supported shot, then it's the old sitting and resting the rifle on a knee with the sling locked in tight, or prone if able to get down on my pack and get a good sight picture! My rule of thumb, if I cannot make the shot with irons, it's too far to take with a scope and guarantee a clean and ethical kill!

Is there a generally accepted proficiency for shooting offhand, leaning against a tree, etc., from which a hunter may have to take a shot?

just never take a shot you haven't practiced beforehand. All other things being equal, you should 'know' you can make the shot on any animal you hunt...

during my Black Powder shooting days it was common to use a small styrofoam coffee cup at 100+ yards as a target in a shoot off. I could hit one maybe 8 out of 10 times with my Hawkin (34" Green Mountain target barrel 1-72" round ball twist) standing. Never tried it kneeing or sitting.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews