JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Could I remove the part of the gas key that would normally slip over the gas tube (see photo) and retain the non gas related function of the gas key?

I would be removing the portion of gas key covered by the green tape.

20190725_115619.jpg

I'm thoroughly confused with what you're asking hear?

Are you trying to turn your AR into a straight pull bolt action type thing?

Best thing to do would be to block gas port on barrel. That way you will not get useless gas getting chamber dirty. You could remove gas tube and purposely misalign gas block, to block gas port temporarily. If you wanted it permanent you could weld up gas port or buy barrel without gas port drilled. You could also get an adjustable gas block with complete gas shutoff. This would be the most versatile.

I'm thoroughly confused with what you're asking hear?

Are you trying to turn your AR into a straight pull bolt action type thing?
Short answer yes.

The question is, what is the function of the gas key besides directing gas. It looks like the portion of the gas key where the gas key screws are, would keep the carrier from rotating in the receiver. If you look at the portion where I placed the tape it seems that it would not all be necessary to manually charge the rifle.

Best thing to do would be to block gas port on barrel. That way you will not get useless gas getting chamber dirty. You could remove gas tube and purposely misalign gas block, to block gas port temporarily. If you wanted it permanent you could weld up gas port or buy barrel without gas port drilled. You could also get an adjustable gas block with complete gas shutoff. This would be the most versatile.
I am trying to understand all the functions of the gas key besides directing gas.

Take it off if you like as it serves no other purpose but direct gas into bcg to unlock bolt. If I was going to make a single shot I would probably use a side charger of some sort.

Thanks for all the suggestions on disabling the gas systems. I have that portion covered. If anybody knows what all the non gas functions of the gas key, please share. It appears to me that the bottom portion of the gas key keep the carrier from rotating in the receiver. The upper portion of the gas key that rides in the charging handle are the mystery. Is that portion of the gas key necessary to keep the charging handle straight or does it fit in the charging handle to keep the bcg from tilting side to side?
Take it off if you like as it serves no other purpose but direct gas into bcg to unlock bolt.
What would keep the carrier from rotating in the receiver if the gas key removed?

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions on disabling the gas systems. I have that portion covered. If anybody knows what all the non gas functions of the

What would keep the carrier from rotating in the receiver if the gas key removed?

The carrier keys sole purpose to redirect gases from the gas tube into the carrier (cylinder) to operate the bolt (piston), it does not prevent rotation and touches nothing except CH & slightly the gas tube. The rails on the carrier is what guides it inside the upper receiver. Note the "G" lube points on the following diagram...

Last Edited:
Well that is a good point as you will also need a portion of it intact to use charging handle. But as I stated earlier it would not be the best way to stop the gas system from acting on the bcg anyway so leave it and block gas port on barrel.

The carrier keys sole purpose to redirect gases from the gas tube into the carrier (cylinder) to operate the bolt (piston), it does not prevent rotation and touches nothing except slightly the gas tube. The rail on the carrier guide it inside the upper receiver. Note the "G" lube points on the following diagram...
View attachment 603410
Hey tits, here is a photo to look at. The piece of green tape is on the bottom part of the gas key and demonstrates where the gas key rides in a channel on the receiver. If I removed the gas key there would be nothing on the carrier that would ride in that channel and keep the carrier from rotating in the receiver.

20190725_125711.jpg

Well that is a good point as you will also need a portion of it intact to use charging handle. But as I stated earlier it would not be the best way to stop the gas system from acting on the bcg anyway so leave it and block gas port on barrel.
I thought that it might be necessary for charging handle operation but the charging handle has it's own channel to ride in and there is a shelf on the carrier that the charging handle makes contact with to draw the carrier rearwards during charging. So I am thinking I could remove the entire top part of the gas key if I wanted to, without disabling the manually charging operation of the system. But I just want to remove a portion so that it would make the gas key unusable for a gas system again.

I had to look but it is true gas keys only function is to direct gas, so remove at will. I still say it is not the best way to disable gas system as you will get useless gas into action, needlessly getting things dirty.

I had to look but it is true gas keys only function is to direct gas, so remove at will. I still say it is not the best way to disable gas system as you will get useless gas into action needlessly getting things dirty.
I still don't get what would keep the carrier from rotating inside the receiver if the gas key was completely removed. see pic the part of the gas key with tape appears to be what keeps the carrier from rotating.

20190725_125711.jpg

I had to look but it is true gas keys only function is to direct gas, so remove at will. I still say it is not the best way to disable gas system as you will get useless gas into action, needlessly getting things dirty.
here is what the carrier would look like with no gas key, there doesn't appear to be anything that would keep it from rotating in the receiver.

It sure looks that way but I will defer to Mr tits as he has way more knowledge than I on these matters.
I posted the question over at AR15.com. One sure way to know would be to rip the gas key off and try it but I would bet a $1.29 that the carrier would rotate in the receiver without the bottom part of that gas key in place. I just don't see any other feature on the carrier that would prevent it from doing so.

You still could just cut tube part off the top. It appears the square mounting base of gas key is what prevents rotation the way i see it with your pics and other diagrams I have looked at. I will reserve final judgement until I look at a physical specimen when I get home.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top