JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't believe that the gas key or protrusion in the 9mm bolts is related to charging handle function. I did think that until closely looking at it today. I will find out tomorrow after I remove the gas key. My belief now is that the little shelf on the carrier is what the charging handle grabs on to to draw it rearward and also draws the charging handle forward when released. See pic.View attachment 603507
You're right. I had forgotten. It's been awhile since I've played around with the AR.

You are right about that function of the cam pin. I was just observing that it also rides in the same channel that the gas key rides in and may also keep the carrier from rotating.
You're right. I was thinking about rotation of the bolt itself rather than the carrier.

Here's the results of taking the gas key off. Gas key (bottom part) is absolutely necessary. Without the gas key, the carrier will rotate a partial amount (maybe 20 degrees in one direction) once the bolt is almost home. Without the gas key and cam pin the carrier will rotate 360 degrees.

As far as the charging goes. The charging handle charged the rifle perfectly without the gas key installed.

I dug through my RC car junk and found some old bearings. They were 5x10mm and the perfect size for fitting in the receiver channel. Check out the pic my son took of the set up. It functions perfectly and smoother then the gas key set up. I am going to try and track down some slightly longer screws, maybe some pan heads but it works fine as is.

If anybody knows a welder in the Wilsonville, Tigard or Tualatin area that will make a couple of welds in exchange for a couple of boxes of 9mm, please PM me some contact info.

IMG_4514.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads