JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For all around usefulness , its tough to beat those Mossberg combo shotguns with the 28 inch barrel and 18-20 inch barrel set.

For those inclined to load from the muzzle , a older , but well maintained .54 caliber Thompson Center "Hawken" rifle or Lyman Great Plains Rifle is tough to beat for all around use.
Andy

What is the perfect balance of price to function firearm to own? Ya, you get ONE gun and $ is a factor, what is it going to be? Let's hear those opinions!

One gun for what purpose? There is no "one size fits all". A good pump shotgun is pretty versatile.

One gun for what purpose? There is no "one size fits all". A good pump shotgun is pretty versatile.

That is actually intended as part of the question and will affect the different answers from people. This really is saying if there was a "one size fits all" what is it? But keep cost a factor.

For me, my mind goes to, personal protection, target use, something I can use to hunt with if I had to eat etc.

Another vote for a pump shotgun here. Although... if we're talking defensive carbine that takes cheap ammo and isn't a big loss when the police takes into evidence :rolleyes: maybe a Hi Point carbine? But these days pretty hard to beat the AR15 kits and completes for under 500. Some even under 400.

Edit. There's also the break open single shot centerfire rifles and shotguns from the likes of Harrington and Richardson (H&R Pardner series) as well as New England Firearms (same as H&R actually) ; think you can get combo barrels for same receiver that allows you to shoot 20ga ammo, and up to .45-70 centerfire rifled barrels?

For a hand gat I hear that the Taurus G2c and their new G3 are doing stellar. They've brought back their limited life time warranty to. There is also the Canik ONE series which is sub $300. Shields can be found for under $300 as well. Stoeger makes a Glock/VP9/M&P clone thats under $300. Could maybe find a Makarov pistol to though like the Nagant I think prices/supply are an issue.

For scatter gat a Maverick 88 is pretty bare bones but will git'r'dun.

I would say a Mosin Nagant rifle but those are getting more an more scarce along with higher in prices. Most of these should land about the sub $250 mark or under $200 even. As pointed out above you could likely find a AR on the sub $400 range. PSA/M&P/Aero make good entry levels.

Last Edited:
I'd take a Glock in 10mm. It could still be used a concealed weapon, but it has enough fire power to take game. You would lose your ability to carry if you only had a shotgun/rifle.

I'd take a Glock in 10mm. It could still be used a concealed weapon, but it has enough fire power to take game. You would lose your ability to carry if you only had a shotgun/rifle.
And this is why I bought my Glock 40 Mos. Still chest or shoulder carry, 15 rds. take dangerous prey as well as medium game.

If wife had the takedown 10-22 and daughter a bow and a gill net...

An AR15 lower receiver. It has the potential to be a pistol or a rifle in the widest array of calibers, and you can pick one up for under a hundo.

Mic drop...:s0140:

Well yes----but OP wanted the "Perfect balance of price to function" and your lower, while at a very
attractive price point, has the functionality of a paper weight.

On the right track. OP didn't say anything about "accessorizing" after purchase, so-----I would buy a Braced AR pistol. Pretty cheap right now--not sure you can build one cheaper than buying it. From there you can convert it to a rifle, back to a pistol, use any of a PILE of uppers in calibers from .22 to 50 BMG. You can even get a .410 shotgun upper for it.

@USMC-03
Yeah a .30-30 Carbine was in my thoughts as well...but they are not near as common as they once were or as budget friendly...sad to say on both accounts.

I can't really say much for rifles ....
As my taste in rifles is no longer in vogue....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR