Buster Beaver Cerakote
J&B Firearm Sales
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
HighLine Firearms
Sporting Systems
Oregon Rifleworks
Defensive Arts
Advertise on Northwest Firearms

What is the best way to cut this alum rail?

OP
CHLChris
Reactions
@Reno
The rail fit. The problem is it couldn't rotate enough to remove the barrel. I think the BRN1022TD receiver was less radiused (by thousandths, probably) than the Ruger receiver. It was tantalizingly close! But I wasnt about to file on the receiver, though that would have worked.

OP
CHLChris
Reactions
With a Brownells receiver and bolt, and a simple BXtrigger, I'm hoping this is a tack driver (for a takedown with just a red dot, that is).

It is just a hair over 4.5 pounds, too!

@2A2Dend You even installed the Type1 QD inserts like me! The height of the dot requires the higher cheek rest for me, but at least two sizes are included with this Backpacker stock!

Reactions
@2A2Dend You even installed the Type1 QD inserts like me! The height of the dot requires the higher cheek rest for me, but at least two sizes are included with this Backpacker stock!
Not exactly. I did a visual mock-up for YOU to SEE what you could essentially have for final appearance of your endeavor. :)

OP
CHLChris
Reactions
By the way, for future reference if others check this thread out when they are in the same boat as @2A2Dend and me, another reason to turn this forward, even if it functioned properly, is that the design of that Backpacker stock makes the barrel extension go.into the stock. Then that cantilever rail would stick downvelow the shoulder pad, sort of hurting the great form factor.

Then another reason to cut it short is that when the barrel end is off and in the stock end, the long rail makes reaching the release buttons kind of awkward. But with the rail cut off now, the buttons are super easy to reach!

OP
CHLChris
Reactions
Not exactly. I did a visual mock-up for YOU to SEE what you could essentially have for final appearance of your endeavor. :)
Are you saying you're like a photo shop master working some voodoo magic? Wow! People need to realize that your photo was posted BEFORE I did the work! Color me amazed!

Reno

Reactions
@Reno
The rail fit. The problem is it couldn't rotate enough to remove the barrel. I think the BRN1022TD receiver was less radiused (by thousandths, probably) than the Ruger receiver. It was tantalizingly close! But I wasnt about to file on the receiver, though that would have worked.
Could have filed the underside of the rail?

Doesnt matter now, it’s done and hopefully works well!

DB is Here

Reactions
  • Air Force
  • Gun Owners of America
  • National Rifle Association
  • Second Amendment Foundation
I'd use a bandsaw, with the cut line taped on both sides.
This or a hacksaw would be my second choice, then file to clean. If you want it pretty then hit it with a wet sandpaper to 400 grit.

OP
CHLChris
Reactions
Just so you know, I think you had it on backwards before cutting.
Perhaps you didnt read all of the posts. I knowingly turned it around backwards for 2 reasons. 1) it wouldn't allow the barrel to detach and 2) it would stick out below the stock when stowed in the Backpacker stock, very awkward in a backpack.

OP
CHLChris
Reactions
Could have filed the underside of the rail?

Doesnt matter now, it’s done and hopefully works well!
I suppose filing the rail's underside would have worked, and I admit I didnt consider that option. But my 2nd reason was how it looked in its cantilever position when stowed as the Backpacker is designed.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Oakanogan Gun Show
Oakanogan County Fairgrounds
175 Rodeo Trail, Okanogan, WA 98840, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is awesome. He's helped me with two Form 4 transfers so far. I live 45 minutes away and happily make the drive to support such a great vendor!
  • TJ Gun Sales
    2.00 star(s)
    My form 4 cleared on 04/10/2020 I had to fight tooth and nail for TJ's to find my tax stamp. There was never any urgency or concern in their...
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent service
  • 36 Pit
    3.00 star(s)
    I'm probably just reiterating what others have said, but I like hearing (seeing) myself speak. This gets 3 stars because when the place isn't...
  • Cascade Loan & Sporting Goods
    3.00 star(s)
    I am giving this review because at one time I was a really big customer there. Back in the day, I bought at least a dozen used guns from Cascade...
Top Bottom