JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm tearing down my Berthier and one of the butt plate screws is beat to death, with nearly no slot left.

As the top of the screw is almost flush with the plate I can't just use a hacksaw to make a new slot. Maybe I can use a dremel with a slitting disc?

Any ideas on this?

20221226_233053.jpg

So I'm tearing down my Berthier and one of the butt plate screws is beat to death, with nearly no slot left.

As the top of the screw is almost flush with the plate I can't just use a hacksaw to make a new slot. Maybe I can use a dremel with a slitting disc?

Any ideas on this?

View attachment 1335951
Put it in a vice, with protection of course. Then use a punch and hammer to work on the screw. If it does not move easily little oil and light heat. Work it some more. If you can get it to start to move you're there, just keep working it around until you can grab it with something.
If it still will not move drill a small hole in the center and use an Easyout.

This is gonna sound stupid, hear me out. That looks like a pretty soft screw so you should be able to take a fairly thin ended screwdriver and pound the blade into it like a chisel. Should expand the slot that's already there and give you a bite. Bonus is, the pounding action may help loosen the threads if they're a little stuck. This is a fairly common method I use with great success and no extra tools or damage

Similar to the pounding a small screwdriver into the screw head method... without the pounding and possibly buggering up the threading in the wood...... use a sharp chisel the approximate full size of the screw head. Simple downward pressure may be enough to get the chisel to "bite" and remove the screw. If that's not enough, you can tap it lightly to score the metal and give your chisel some more bite, but don't pound excessively.

Penetrating oil is likely to be helpful but I would not use any heat. Heat will degrade the wood in the screw hole and likely require it to be drilled, plugged and redrilled when you are ready to remount the buttplate.

The least invasive is your better option if you plan to recut the slot (once it's removed) and reuse the screw.

1) Are you sure that you need to take that buttplate off ?
That battered screw head is part of the rifle's story.
2) If so, it looks like you could clean up that slot with a Dremel and a cut-off disk.
3) Use a hollow ground gunsmith screwdriver, not a hardware store screwdriver.

Last Edited:
Similar to the pounding a small screwdriver into the screw head method... without the pounding and possibly buggering up the threading in the wood...... use a sharp chisel the approximate full size of the screw head. Simple downward pressure may be enough to get the chisel to "bite" and remove the screw. If that's not enough, you can tap it lightly to score the metal and give your chisel some more bite, but don't pound excessively.

Penetrating oil is likely to be helpful but I would not use any heat. Heat will degrade the wood in the screw hole and likely require it to be drilled, plugged and redrilled when you are ready to remount the buttplate.

The least invasive is your better option if you plan to recut the slot (once it's removed) and reuse the screw.
This....... From the picture that looks like a brass screw so it should be soft and clean out the slot fairly easy. Just make sure you use a very tight fitting screwdriver when removing as said elsewhere above.

Dremels should not be allowed in the same room with a gun.

Trying to use a Dremel to recut a slot in a sunken screw will most likely cut grooves or make Dremel tracks in all the surrounding metal, too.

:)

Bruce

1) Are you sure that you need to take that buttplate off ?
That battered screw head is part of the rifle's story.
At some point it was covered in a polyurethane. Not even a good job, big drips and sags. I have to strip that garbage off and give it a respectable finish.

Last Edited:
I would use a small needle file to clean up the slot. Much less chance of harm to the surrounding area than with a Dremel. Then a proper screwdriver as mentioned before. The gun appears old enough that the wood has probably shrunk enough that the screw isn't very tight. I wouldn't use heat. The chance of harm far outweighs the likelihood of help.

Here's my patented technique -guaranteed to work.
First, calmly try to explain the current state of gun regulation.
Next add some political discourse.
Then pour a little cheap whisky on it.
Repeat the process, getting more and more agitated. Make sure to yell a bunch. Perhaps punch something.

Now take a closer look and most likely you'll have gotten your screw loose.

At some point it was covered in a polyurethane. Not even a good job, big drips and sags. I have to strip that garbage off and give it a respectable finish.
Ouch, damn shame. Many here have obviously used the "Tim the Tool Man" approach in the past. :s0140:
Dremel will work wonders IF the one operating it does not attack the project for one. Another is light heat. I have to guess some here have used torch for this, again ala Tim Tool Man style. Light heat is something like a hair dryer or even a heat gun, if again the operator can use it without burning things down :D
Go VERY gently with whatever you try and get it to start to move. Many guys seem to think the bigger hammer is always the first thing to try. Then of course we all now the outcome there. Go slow and easy and it will be able to be taken out. When you get it cleaned up make sure to post some pics of it when its all nice too!

Put in padded vice. Find sharp-ish screw driver. Gently tap screwdriver into slot with hammer while gently twisting. Be patient you should be able to remove it without further damage.

The same idea as this nifty little impact driver. The video may help explain my advice.
impact driver on amazon

I padded my vice, used a fine 1/4" chisel to open up the slot. Ground a screwdriver to be extra thin then used that. It unscrewed nice and easy.

Thanks everyone.

Now I just need to strip off all that polyurethane.

20221227_184200.jpg

Last Edited:
Now for reassembly --- remember to leave the BFH in the drawer...

Just teasing, glad "it" worked out.

Don't forget to share the restoration.

I padded my vice, used a fine 1/4" chisel to open up the slot. Ground a screwdriver to be extra thin the then used that. It unscrewed nice and easy.

Thanks everyone.

Now I just need to strip off all that polyurethane.

View attachment 1336334
Maybe send/message me the dimensions of that screw I have quite a selection of old original butt plate screws and may have a match I could send you. May even have a butt plate, you never know with pack rats.........:s0131:

Deadeye

Thanks for the offer but I've recut the slot in it and it will work just fine now.

I've even got that polyurethane off of it. Just have to stain and linseed oil it now.

20221230_120532.jpg 20221230_121001.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top