JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all! I'm pretty sure this rail is aluminum. The Volquartsen barrel came with this rail. It is designed to clear a 1022 takedown receiver, but I'm using a Brownells receiver and it just doesn't have enough clearance. So I turned it around forward. I'd like to cut it.

What tool should I use? I've got about everything here but a metal chop saw. I've got a vise, a grinder, a Dremel, even a hacksaw. And then what should I use to smooth the end? I've got that same Dremel...or even a bunch of good files.

Any ideas?

20200521_214036.jpg

Last Edited:
check if its really aluminum. if so it can be cut on wood cutting blades, like a chop saw. Its just scary to do. i would clamp it down and not have my hands on it type of thing.
Otherwise, dremel and files, and lots of time.

I've cut aluminum closet rods with a wood blade before. Yes, a rain of sparks!

Since the barrel is designed as a lightweight carbon fiber, I cant believe it would be a steel rail. I've never even seen a steel rail...

If your grinder is an angle grinder get an aluminum abrasive cutoff disc. That'll cut it easily and use can use it to shape it after the cut. Carefully as the cutoff disc can shatter if you use too much lateral force. They're meant for cutting only but they work for shaping. Use a file for final dressing.

If it's a bench grinder, scratch that. Hacksaw to cut, dremel to shape, file for final dress.

Clamped in a vise of course.

I wouldn't use a chop saw. Too much risk trying to hold it with your hand and by the time you're done clamping it, you'd be through it with a hacksaw.

Wd40 makes for an ok cutting fluid, works in a pinch but you won't need it for the hacksaw and definitely don't use on the abrasives.

Wrap it in a rag or make some soft jaws for your vise out of wood or aluminum.

pocket knife and a few bandaids?

Chop/bandsaw and a bastard file with some black krylon.

I liked the dremel idea best. However, there are machine and welding shops in most communities that might be able to do it perfectly for about $25 bucks including the polish to smooth it out. I don't know what is open around the State, but you might try calling around. I did this for some brackets for a some shelves I was building and they came out custom and really nice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top