JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smith or Ruger.. for different reasons.
The Smith's are super sweet and I'd love to get a lightweight one but I've had too much trouble with the old 4" 29's to really want one again for a shooter.. they are fragile compared to a Ruger but have great DA triggers.

If you wanted one for multi purposes ... hunting (coyote, deer, feral dog, ...), home/personal protection, woods carry, and just plain shooting range punching paper.
Sounds like 2 different pistols to me.
Hunting/Range -- Ruger Super Redhawk or Super Blackhawk with 7.5 or 9" barrel. Either can be scoped.
Home/Carry-- Ruger SRH Alaskan or S&W 29 (w/ 4")

Up close, all that unnecessary barrel just slows/weighs you down.
Long range you want all the barrel you can comfortably carry/handle.

A multi purpose gun is a compromise.
for what you want, I would chose a Ruger Redhawk (not super) in 4"
redhawk1.jpg

Last Edited:
Kind've like asking a preference between Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.:)

The .44 I shoot the most, and is the most fun to shoot is a Super Blackhawk, in either 4-5/8" or 3-3/4". Not an easy gun to master, but an incredible gun once ya learn it. They're still a (relative) bargain.

The .44 I shoot the best is my S&W 629 6".

I've gone the Redhawk/Super Redhawk route too. Tanks, but good shooters.

For folks that are slightly more well heeled, the Freedom Arms .44 is reported to be the best of the single actions.

Not ever an easy choice, so pick one. Eventually you'll own the others, too.

WAYNO.

on second thought, the best choice might be a marlin lever gun. The best I shoot with a 44mag by far.
but... this is handguns discussion...

Last Edited:
P8050037.JPG
A multi purpose gun is a compromise.
for what you want, I would chose a Ruger Redhawk (not super) in 4"
I didn't bring that one into the discussion since Ruger no longer produces them.
But that would be a serious contender.

Although it wasn't stated earlier, I prefer DA revolvers if used for protection work, so the SA guns are off the list when going for the single solution compromise.

Of course you will probably get 2 or 3 'cuz they're small.

Last Edited:
I would say Ruger and then have the action worked over.

However, I have carried heavy .44 Mags in the field, and I quickly got tired of it. After a while I got to a point where if a handgun is too heavy I left it at home.

So I bought a S&W 329PD.

Definitely not something that is fun to shoot, at least not with ammo that will be good for anything more than shooting holes in paper or taking a rabbit. But it is light enough that I don't hesitate to carry it - I am just not that eager to shoot it.

Make your choices and pay the piper one way or the other.

Elmer Keith liked the 4" Model 29.. he used it like a rifle too.. well, a .44 magnum carbine anyway.
For real rifle work he invented the precursors of the .338 Weatherby magnum etc.

I was talking to an old timer that shoots a lot of cowboy shoots and stuff like that. He is always talking up the blackhawks. He said he has never felt the least bit uncomfortable loading them very hot. He also said he has one with unknown round count (too many to keep track) and he has never had to do anything to it besides clean it, he has never replaced a spring. Unlike his colts he said he replaced springs a few times a year every couple of thousand rounds.

I think either a 4" barreled S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk would both fit your needs. Both are stainless steel and double action (not a fan of SAO for self defense) It's true there are some rounds the Ruger can handle that the S&W can't, but do you really need to shoot those rounds? Both Garrett and Buffalo Bore sell 300+ gr. hardcast ammo that can be shot out of the S&W. It's only their top, most powerful load that is suggested for Rugers.

I much prefer the looks of the S&W, but like the simplicity of the Ruger. Ruger is not currently manufacturing the Redhawks, and the 4" guns have always been harder to find. There is however a used one on gunbroker right now and it has been Mag-na-ported (a plus in my book). S&W is still making the 629 so you can buy a new one (if you don't mind the lock), and they have been making the 4" 629 for well over 30 years so finding a used one is not a problem. If you want a collector/investment gun, the 4" 629 "no dash" model that came with the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders is the one to buy. However they are in the Colt Python price range and pretty hard to find. S&W also made a 4" 629 "Mountain Gun" that was a little lighter weight than the standard 629 and may be exactly what you are looking for.

carried and shot a 624 for years, 44 special can be loaded to near 44 mag specs and it was nice to have something a little different. Would not hesitate to get a 29/629 if I had a use for it, S&W makes a great gun.

That being said I'm getting pretty sick of the "what's the best....?" threads

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads