JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think 1-10 is the "normal" twist for .243 in contemporary production. Which supposedly is good up to or a bit beyond 100 gr. weight bullets. However, longer bullets 90 gr. and up like a faster twist. This can be an issue now what with the many "long range" bullets.

I think 1-10 is the "normal" twist for .243 in contemporary production. Which supposedly is good up to or a bit beyond 100 gr. weight bullets. However, longer bullets 90 gr. and up like a faster twist. This can be an issue now what with the many "long range" bullets.
About 100 gr would be the sweet spot ? I did find 20 boxes in my hoard lol

It has been many years since I have experimented with .243 loads. My memory isn't great, but one thing that stands out in my mind was when I showed up at my dad's place one summer day. A friend of his had just purchased a .243 rifle for his girlfriend to hunt blacktails with. I think it was an older Model 70. My dad had a benchrest in his front yard pointed toward a hay field, and a reloading setup in the basement/garage of his house. When I pulled in, they were all perplexed by the inability to put together any type of respectable group with the rifle. I took a peek through the spotting scope and noticed the bullets were "keyholing" in the paper. They were shooting heavy for caliber bullets, so we decided to try some significantly lighter bullets. That did the trick as far as the grouping, but the friend was not really anxious for his girlfriend to use the lighter bullets on deer.

I have two rifles in 243 win and have ammo from 57ge to 87 a-maxx factory Hornady what is the best weight to use this will be for paper at this time
For paper, the best is either the cheapest or the most accurate. Try what you have then decide. Do you want to blast, or group?

Bruce

About 100 gr would be the sweet spot ?
If they are not too long. The newer, longer bullets tend to need more spin to stabilize. See post #4, above, "keyholing." Anything that is "very low drag" design will tend to be longer. Better for flying through the air but they must be fired in a barrel that gives sufficient spin to stabilize.

I have two rifles in 243 win and have ammo from 57ge to 87 a-maxx factory Hornady what is the best weight to use this will be for paper at this time
Its my understanding that, generally, lighter bullets will be more stable in flight (ie, accurate) with slower twist barrels like yours.

If you want to know for sure use the Berger stability calculator to estimate your SG value.

The 243 is new to me as in finding what it likes . I do have 270's and 308's that prefer certain weights .... but have a Sako and a Browning X bolt that will handle whatever gr bullet you put in it .

You won't know what bullet shoots best until you shoot a few bullets. Weight recommendations based on twist rates are only ballpark, as bullet design is at least as important.

1 in 10 is pretty standard for a factory .243, and though meant for 85-100 grain bullets, surprisingly tight groups can be had with lighter stuff.

If I was starting cold turkey with a .243 and looking for tight groups, I'd try a light Ballistic Tip, BlitzKing or VMax in the 70-75gr range.

Best combination of accuracy combined with big-game capability in the .243 Winchester is the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. It thrives in the 1/10 twist, and combines explosive expansion with enough needle-like length to get to the far side of even an Elk's ribcage.

It produces the best "shock-kill" results that I have ever seen (used also in the 6mm Remington) on Muleys, Whitetail and Antelope.

I have these and found like 20 boxes of 100 gr
1712507095235.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews