JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I only have the Sissy Stainless 629, which works for me, I am using 240 grain Underwood Ammo. I do think a Redhawk to be a more big bullet gun than the Smith.

That said a certain Inspector Callahan did okay with a 29.

I only have the Sissy Stainless 629, which works for me, I am using 240 grain Underwood Ammo. I do think a Redhawk to be a more big bullet gun than the Smith.

That said a certain Inspector Callahan did okay with a 29.
That is because:
He loaded it with 44 Specials, (it is a line from the movie).
Ruger didn't make the Redhawk until 1979.
Ruger didn't make the Super Redhawk until 1987.
The 454 Casull wasn't available in a double action pistol until about 1990 (unsure when it became available but it was just offered in SA pistols for decades).

If the Ruger SRH Alaskan had been available in 1971, Insp Callahan would have whipped that puppy out and let it BARK!

Smith 29, 629 and so on are, I am told, known for their accuracy and trigger. Do not reload them hot, I have seen pics of the entire backstrap blown off, and the cylinder blown into 2 or more pieces.

Rugers are known for their strength. Hot 300 grain loads for bear, will do.

Dan Wessons, esp. the Monson, Mass. seem to be right up the middle. My research shows he really was into what he was doing with the 44. I am sure there are others.

Smith 29, 629 and so on are, I am told, known for their accuracy and trigger. Do not reload them hot, I have seen pics of the entire backstrap blown off, and the cylinder blown into 2 or more pieces.

Dan Wessons, esp. the Monson, Mass. seem to be right up the middle. My research shows he really was into what he was doing with the 44. I am sure there are others.
Never seen a Dan Wesson in 44, when were they produced? Anyone have any ideas about the number manufactured? Barrel kits like the 357?

I had a DW 44 - blued, 6" barrel, vented.

It was a pain with cast bullets - you had to remove the shroud and clean it every 50 to 100 or so, and if you didn't you might not get it off.

Just the same, it was a nice gun, very accurate.

I liked the fact that you could swap barrels, but I never did get around to getting a second barrel. For a while I was thinking of getting one in .445 SuperMag, but then they stopped making revolvers for a while. By that time I had lost interest in carrying around a huge heavy revolver.

had an older ruger .44 magnum and traded it off, will die with my 29 Smith with an 8 and 3/8 barrel still in my possession. I love the trigger on that thing.

I have noticed that a Super Blackhawks recoil is brutal due to its design and the Red Hawk is not bad at all due to its design. The S@W 29,,, Do you feel lucky ? well do ya!

Last Edited:
I have found the "Best One" is the one I kept because "I" like it best! Try a few and pick the one YOU like. You will get a hundred different opinions just like what is the BEST car? Ford, Chevy etc. Be your OWN judge. Most top of the line gun shops will let you shoot a gun before you buy or a fellow gun guy will let you shoot his.

aaaaa22110.jpg the interarms Virginian dragoon is the very best single action 44 mag ever made. far superior to a ruger with a safety that allow 6 loaded rounds and still has a real single action trigger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top