JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, the one time I bought a gun from Cabela's I was there until after they closed waiting. :rolleyes:

I always just go to the DMV 10 minutes before the doors open and I'm almost guaranteed to be helped in the first wave. So probably like 10-15 minutes is the max I usually have to wait at the DMV.

Never bought a gun at Cabelas, but have picked up a bunch of orders at the pickup counter nearby there BGC area.

There order pickup is like a Pakistani post office at times, so I will therefore vote that the DMV is quicker...

Edit adding: last week I ran up to Tigard pawn for a trade, and then to Northwest Armory to buy a Ruger LC9S pro ($299!). Both transactions done in under an hour (maybe 20 minutes at the Pawn, and 10 at Northwest Armory). On the way back, picked up an order at Cabellas...and well there BGC process looked pretty darned bad. Folks waiting in line & folks setting in chairs.

Last Edited:
still faster than DMV. DMV is like Wal-Mart; 27 lanes, 3 checkers

21 checkers, only three of them open.
[edit]
You know, you can buy the gun and come back later for the BGC. Put it on layaway.
Early Sunday mornings are a breeze.
I had a shotgun and a lower in layaway - the state BGC system was down when I got them, so left them. Went in this Sunday at Noon after getting back into town. 45 minutes from walking into Cabelas to walking out the door. I thought their service was awesome.

It's not like it's Christmas time or anything. Oh, wait a minute...
I wasn't talking about Cabelas. I was talking about DMV. I've been there holding 475 and they're still calling in the 300's, two people being helped at the counter, dozens of people behind it. Some days are bad.
I just walked out when it was like that, after first walking around outside looking for a tag that someone discarded in the low 400's.

I wasn't talking about Cabelas. I was talking about DMV. I've been there holding 475 and they're still calling in the 300's, two people being helped at the counter, dozens of people behind it. Some days are bad.
I just walked out when it was like that, after first walking around outside looking for a tag that someone discarded in the low 400's.
I heard that some of the DMV's in WA will let you set an appointment ahead of time. Not the solution to every situation, but good to know. I don't know about OR though.

Ahh. I don't bother when it's like that. I usually check wait times before I go, or go first thing when they open, and not on a Monday, Friday or beginning nor end of a month.

Depends......if you are registering a vehicle or buying a gun?

DMV is probably faster than Cabela's if you're trying to register a car.
Cabela's is probably faster than the DMV if you're trying to buy a gun.

They're probably tied, if you're trying to order a burger and fries to go.

Oh!....and speaking of Depends...You just may want to consider wearing some if you plan on waiting in line at either place ;)

Last Edited:
Once I got to the counter everything went thru in about 5 minutes. It was the standing there and nothing happening behind the counter.... the kid helping me said that last weekend at some point the system went down and people were waiting for hours.

Only thing worse is Disney Land!!! Pay over $100 per person, per day, stand in line for 1 ride for 1 hour, and figuring that there are 20 rides you might wanna go on!!! I would still take the DMV over that! Only ever been to Cabelas 1 time, and it wasn't all that exciting or that good a deal!!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top