JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Will do...:D
I'd love to own and hunt with a Bernardelli Brescia Hammer gun in 20 gauge....however that ain't gonna happen...:D
Andy
Had to Google that one. Nice!

I always regret not buying one of those nickel plated NEF Snake Charmers in 410. Definitely in the complete opposite side of the spectrum as that example. Nonetheless, i really need to invest in a 410, as crackpot shoots with my rimfire don't always result in a dead grouse.

Had to Google that one. Nice!

I always regret not buying one of those nickel plated NEF Snake Charmers in 410. Definitely in the complete opposite side of the spectrum as that example. Nonetheless, i really need to invest in a 410, as crackpot shoots with my rimfire don't always result in a dead grouse.
Gotta be quick with a .410 on grouse...good light guns...not a lot of "payload".
A fella had a nice side x side .410 at the last gun show...that or your "snake charmer " would make for a dandy grouse gun
.22LR and a headshot works....I often use a ,22 rifle for grouse.
Andy

I changed my mind on children kinda thought they were all into tactical stuff which they are but... broke out a Savage 99 and my son got pissed why did you only bring 20 rounds dad ! It was cool seeing the boy light up with a 308 lever action !

I changed my mind on children kinda thought they were all into tactical stuff which they are but... broke out a Savage 99 and my son got pissed why did you only bring 20 rounds dad ! It was cool seeing the boy light up with a 308 lever action !
I was surprised to find that a beat up truck gun I bought, a 22lr/l/s Henry lever, turned out to be my favorite 22 rifle for lots of stuff - primarily plinking but it's surprisingly accurate.

Lots to think about in this topic.

I'm in the minority, I practically never carry concealed. I've had the permit since 1987. Being a federal employee, having a weapon on premises was cause for dismissal. Taking kids to schools, going to school functions, etc., no guns on campus. No guns in county offices. No guns in medical establishments. Etc., etc.

I'm going to deescalate, run
For me, this ^^^ but more important ...

I stay out of bad neighborhoods
This ^^^

I think the following is very good advice:
1: Carry a firearm you understand and can control

2: Be aware of your surroundings/plan ahead

3: Don't get involved or involve a firearm unless absolutely necessary/know the laws

4: Deescalate as best you can if possible

5: Get some sort of legal protection

6: Carry less-lethal options

7: Keep it brief with law enforcement
To which I add no. 8., don't go out at night.

The following is fairly reflective of my situation:
I don't really carry anymore. Body hurts, and having something strapped to my hip just doesn't work anymore. I also try to be better to people because of my own issues, so I'm trying to not look at everywhere I go as an issue. The perpetual fear of the unknown is a great tool to utilize in being prepared, but it is also extremely exhausting to always think something bad will happen. I stopped watching the news and stopped isolating the sources of propaganda to which I do give some of my time. It's no wonder some can get so caught up in fear if you watch only one side of the propaganda machine. I almost feel sorry for anyone that listens to Alex Jones on the daily. Even NWFA can be exhausting as it's become a one sided environment and the place has really let itself go.

I've gotten the following impression over the years here in Wash. state, as the barrier to getting such a permit is fairly low. Hot-heads and people who don't know the law on use of lethal force.
This is where things will get interesting non permit carry starts in June for Florida and there are plenty of hot heads.

I am well aware of the concept, "You never know when you will need one." I play the odds.

When I go to shoot in the woods, I ALWAYS carry open. Too many tweakers and other assorted no-goods that can come up on you. Open carry so they can see from a ways off that I'm armed. Years ago, I had an acquaintance from the gun show who went shooting by himself, was never seen again. They found his truck and broken eyeglasses. No guns, no guy. Never did find a body. Probably thrown down a mine shaft.

With the increased and continued decay of society, along with the increased variety of mass shootings, my opinion has changed from, "carrying when I go to sketchy parts of town," to "ALWAYS being armed when I go out."

I was already at the point of carrying most the time back in 2016. But one week I needed to go to the Cascade Mall for some stuff and I was trying to decide between going on Thursday or Friday. Fortunately, I chose Thursday. Friday some lunatic shot up the mall. And that is as close as I ever hope to come to being in a mass shooting. But I've carried everyday since then.

I also pretty much carry a 4.25" M&P Core w/red dot and two 17 rounders, exclusively. The only time I ever carry anything smaller is if I have to put on a suit for some reason...which is just about never at this point...maybe once a year.

Coming from CA my mind hasn't changed as much as my legal rights have. Someone in CA might decide not to abide my unconstitutional, illegal, tyrannical laws. One might carry off body in a sling bag on the way to work and then lock the bag in a safe location (Maxpedition makes a nice sling bag). In said bag could be a gun, extra mag, knife, flashlight, a fan for riding the train when the AC is broken, etc., more than you could carry in your pockets and on your waist. Situational awareness is way more important so no one takes your bag. On the weekends one might use an Urban Carry Holster so a compact, 14rd, 4" pistol could be fully concealed. One also might plan, if they need to defend themselves to do so and, if deadly force was necessary, flee as to not be arrested and prosecuted by a tyrannical government. Luckily I don't know anyone personally who has had the need to pull a gun.

I used to have an FNK 9C1 G2, the second generation. I was in denial about its reliability. It was very ergonomic and plenty accurate, I really liked it. But it just wasn't reliable. Luckily I eventually got a Kahr CW9 and a Shield in 9mm. Both were very reliable. Now, if I have a pistol that malfunctions and it's clearly not the ammo, it's likely to be sold or tossed in the back of the safe.

As soon as I moved to OR I got my CHL. I started out carrying my Shield, then upgraded to the plus because of higher capacity, but eventually ended up pocket carrying an LCP. The reason was because, even though I'm not short myself, I have a very short waistline. AIWB is not an option for me (I've tried several set ups, they all stuck into me uncomfortable). I'm OCD about printing and I couldn't find a gun/holster combo that would conceal on my waist to my liking. I tried a lot of things.

NOW, I carry a P365 with red dot. It concealed very well at 3 o'clock with a IWB holster and a loose shirt, has 11rds in the gun, and the red dot helped me with accuracy further away. I'm still trying to find a comfortable way to carry a BU mag comfortably - regular. I'm also trying to carry mace as well but I get uncomfortable with too much stuff in my pockets and on my belt. No knife or flashlights.

Last Edited:
I'm gonna go with "use my other gun hand" since I've got two of them.

Seriously though, if I'm reduced to a knife fight, I'm not young or a Marine or anything, I'm probably screwed. Besides, I'm on blood thinners and might cut myself. s0092.gif
I cut myself all the time and I don't even carry a knife. 🤕

I can't remember the FBI did a little study and it was something like if a person has their knife out and was 20 feet away and you still have to draw your gun you're gonna get stuck.
I don't know about you but if I see someone running at me with a knife, I'm running the other way. I can draw while I'm running, MF'r ain't catchin me.

Will stop eating your crayons for second...I keep telling it is not about being fast, it is about being sneaky and it isn't a primary it is a BUG.
This is good advice. From my knowledge, most situations happen when a robber pulls a gun and says "gimme yo stuff beach". If you think you can draw faster than someone can react and pull a trigger, I hope you're never in that situation because you gonna die. Now, stall and distract, then draw and fire.

You can go on the internet and find many examples of what I'm talking about. Never once have I seen a video where the robber had eyes and gun on the good guy with gun and the good guy drew a pistol and won the fight. All those videos the good guy never even got his gun out the holster. But the videos where the robber was distracted and the good guy drew fast, good guy wins. Now there could be other situations out there, they just seem to be few.

It's called the 21 foot rule. It's well known and has been proven repeatedly. Myth Busters even did a segment on it.

Unless you are Jerry Michalec (spelling) or you are a serious draw from CC practitioner then a person with a blade (even not in hand) is a major threat.

Look at 21 feet and you will quickly realize that most conflicts you may have are likely to be inside that number. I had an instructor that would stand at 21 feet and all I had to do was put my hand in front of my face as soon as he moved. Long story short I never was able to beat him when he was up to me and had a fist a 1/4 inch from my nose, and I knew it was coming.
while this 21' rule is useful I think people read the outcome wrong. This is not how typical robbing happen. So, because someone can run fast with a knife in their hand a gun is completely useless? That's how people who don't understand it make it out to be. My mind tells me, don't bring a knife to a gun fight, because, You can run the other way to bide your time. If someone is running at me with a knife I'm not just going to stand there, are you?. And you could deflect with your off hand while drawing. There are plenty of situations where someone with out a weapon managed to disarm an attacker with a knife. I don't think I could, but I know I can run fast.

This needs to be revisited with the victim defending themselves properly, not just standing there like a dumb dumb. Come one, we're supposed to be smarter than this.

Sometimes you can use verbal martial arts it worked when I worked in the prison many of times. I prefer this rout and involved way less paperwork which I absolutely despised ! I also agree just because you have a firearm you should not think you are Superman and start stuff and know when to just walk away. This is where things will get interesting non permit carry starts in June for Florida and there are plenty of hot heads. I know you folks have been to the range and noticed that guy that while can legally own a gun shouldn't well these are the same people that will be carrying

Verbal martial arts don't work when someone is intent on robbing you.

Switched from right hip owb to appendix iwb for better concealment.
Switched from hellcat to hellcat pro for EDC, easier to control a slightly larger firearm.

Lost a lot of weight which makes me print more so if my shirt is snug I may pocket carry the 3" 357 on occasion.

I carry the 4.25" m&p with 17+1 OWB right hip when I Mountain bike because I have no eff's to give when in the woods.

There are plenty of situations where someone with out a weapon managed to disarm an attacker with a knife. I don't think I could, but I know I can run fast.
You let someone closer then 21' from you that is intent on doing you harm (not necessarily rob) and idc how fast you run, I wouldn't bet my life on not getting said knife stuck in my back before I got more then 4-5 steps at best.

Maybe you are the exception.

But I doubt it.

For those who carry a gun, much of our learning is driven by hands on experience. We get started knowing very little (maybe even thinking we know more than we really do), our approach makes contact with reality, we identify deficiencies, and our perspective evolves. When this happens we may find that ideas that we once considered infallible are really not so great. Sometimes the change is subtle; other times it's a complete paradigm shift. But there isn't a single one of us who thinks, acts, and carries with the same perspective that we did the first time we strapped a gun to our hip.

So looking back at your own personal journey of carrying a gun, what have you changed your mind about? How has your perspective shifted? How has the weight or importance of things changed over time? I'm really aiming for deeper insight into changes of mindset, training, behavior, focus, decision-making, etc. So, simple things like "the gun got smaller" are fine, but if throwing that example down please include the train of logic you used to make that decision, what tradeoffs you considered and how you weighed them, etc.
I started CCW in 1983. Almost everything has changed. Probably the most significant is the thought that" a handgun is just to get me to my long gun."
It wasn't till the mid 90's that I got serious about learning to shoot a handgun well.
The second big change was when I learned about pocket carry. The guns kept getting smaller, and I found I had to work harder to shoot them well.
I finally settled on a J frame revolver and Shield size guns as being the smallest I can shoot well. These have been my Everyday carry for about 6 years now.
DR

Our culture has changed, dramatically, as the years have rolled by beneath me.
I, like most folks, often resist change. But I've had to adjust. It's uncomfortable and
often awkward. My self assessment is that I'm still viable mentally. However,
physically is another issue and very concerning. I can not run and I have trouble
on uneven ground. I've hunted for well over 60 years as much and as often as
I can. When much younger I never carried a pack, just ammo, a knife and a
length of rope. Thought I was tough. Now when I'm least able I carry a very
weighty pack that will hopefully let me survive if I go down in the woods. Around
town I am very uncomfortable realizing that I am a target as I walk with an uneven
gait. I think most fit 12 year olds could whip my azz. I look at my surroundings
before getting out of the truck, park as near as possible to my destination, and
try to make my business always done in daylight. I fired my rifle in Vietnam and
never knew if I hit another. I don't want to shoot a punk, and man, there are a lot
of them nowadays. But if nut comes to crunch I'll do my best to keep myself
together. And with the slow but methodical loss of gun rights it will become
more and more difficult to survive. Perhaps, for me, it's getting close to check out time.
@Ruger Rich -- Consider getting the right walking/fighting cane. Mine is a Kingsbury from Cane Masters:

I started using a cane when I developed double vision, and could only see out of my dominant eye. This made it difficult to keep my balance on uneven ground without a cane. Now I also just need the cane as a walking cane. The Kingsbury has all the features of a basic fighting cane. But it also has a derby handle, which makes it much better for walking or hiking. Or for helping me get up from the ground when I'm in the plant breeding field or on hands and knees on a tarp inspecting dry bean plants. The Kingsbury is 1" thick hickory that supports my full weight easily. It has a wide hook and bird beak carving that looks ornamental but provides features useful in a fighting cane. The hook is very useful. If I need both hands it quickly loops over my wrist. If I'm sitting on my porch opening Amazon boxes I can pull the boxes to me without getting up from my chair.

Such canes are legally medical devices. You can even take them on planes. It is against the law for anyone to deny you entree anywhere or require you to give up cane before letting you in. Not true with canes shaped like a cudgel, incidently, a stick with a knob or weight at the end like the Irish blackthorn walking stick. Those are often defined legally as weapons.

With a good walking/fighting cane your gait will no longer be uneven. And if any punk tries anything you have a weapon in your hand already.

@Ruger Rich -- Consider getting the right walking/fighting cane. Mine is a Kingsbury from Cane Masters:

I started using a cane when I developed double vision, and could only see out of my dominant eye. This made it difficult to keep my balance on uneven ground without a cane. Now I also just need the cane as a walking cane. The Kingsbury has all the features of a basic fighting cane. But it also has a derby handle, which makes it much better for walking or hiking. Or for helping me get up from the ground when I'm in the plant breeding field or on hands and knees on a tarp inspecting dry bean plants. The Kingsbury is 1" thick hickory that supports my full weight easily. It has a wide hook and bird beak carving that looks ornamental but provides features useful in a fighting cane. The hook is very useful. If I need both hands it quickly loops over my wrist. If I'm sitting on my porch opening Amazon boxes I can pull the boxes to me without getting up from my chair.

Such canes are legally medical devices. You can even take them on planes. It is against the law for anyone to deny you entree anywhere or require you to give up cane before letting you in. Not true with canes shaped like a cudgel, incidently, a stick with a knob or weight at the end like the Irish blackthorn walking stick. Those are often defined legally as weapons.

With a good walking/fighting cane your gait will no longer be uneven. And if any punk tries anything you have a weapon in your hand already.
Looks NICE! Pricey but looks very well made. When walking my dogs I carry one made by Cold Steel that it looks like they don't make any more. Same curved head so looks like a normal cane. Made out of some kind of composite material that is heavy and impossible to break. I weigh #250 and I can put all my weight on it and it does not give at all. Seems a shame they stopped offering them. Any well made cane like this can be a GREAT tool that most don't give a second look

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top