JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In regards to self defense and or home defense...
I haven't really changed my mind on anything.
There are plans and firearms that I like and am good with so I will stick with those...since they have worked in the past.

That said...
When I first started carrying many moons ago...
I first used a Ruger Security Six with 2 3/4 inch barrel....then moved to a Smith & Wesson 19-3 or a 1955 dated Highway Patrolman depending on where I was at .
( Both Smith and Wesson's had 4 inch barrels )
Now I carry my Colt Series '70 Government model...in .45ACP.
Been carrying that for quite a while now...it was my dad's pistol...and the first pistol I ever shot.
Still is the pistol I shoot best with.

In regards to carrying a knife...
Yes , everyday....usually my old Boy Scout utility knife...its old , but sharp...and does almost all that I would need a knife for.
However...I can say from experience , that a dedicated knife for defense can be worth its weight in gold.
Like anything if you decide to carry one....choose one that works for you....and practice with it often.

And with that said...
I have never really been given to thinking a lot about home or self defense with a firearm.
I am willing to do what is needed with what I have....and that works for me.
Firearms for me at least....mean a lot more that how it can be used defensively.
They are first and foremost fun...and I am intrigued by the many designs and history behind them.

As far as firearms in general....
At one time I did collect and shoot WWI and WWII firearms , along with sporting firearms from the 1950's and '60s.
For a long while now my tastes have been with my first firearm "loves"....traditional muzzle loaders , both antique and modern and .22 rifles....along with the never ending search for the "perfect " grouse shotgun....:D
Andy

I hear you on build up of stuff on the red dot. My p365 with red dot builds up junk fast on the optic in IWB holster. I use a lens pen little brush and bulrush it out every so often. It surprising how fast crap builds up on it.
That's why I disliked it for EDC and at one point only championed for it for range use.. but now, it's hard to argue the ease of sight picture it provides. I've came around on it a bit and carrying off body has helped eliminate the debris issue

Glocks. Used to be the only thing I would carry and have several. Haven't holstered one for carry in a couple years now. I find double action, hammer fired firearms much more my flavor.

Not so much a "Change of Mind". Rather, more like an "Expansion of Thinking".

IMHO.....
There should be a expansion of thinking (even perhaps/including a few changes to the laws). To include the use of DEADLY FORCE in the protection of property (and maybe even including, after the suspect turns and runs).

Aloha, Mark

PS............BTW, did you hear?

Last Edited:
Our culture has changed, dramatically, as the years have rolled by beneath me.
I, like most folks, often resist change. But I've had to adjust. It's uncomfortable and
often awkward. My self assessment is that I'm still viable mentally. However,
physically is another issue and very concerning. I can not run and I have trouble
on uneven ground. I've hunted for well over 60 years as much and as often as
I can. When much younger I never carried a pack, just ammo, a knife and a
length of rope. Thought I was tough. Now when I'm least able I carry a very
weighty pack that will hopefully let me survive if I go down in the woods. Around
town I am very uncomfortable realizing that I am a target as I walk with an uneven
gait. I think most fit 12 year olds could whip my azz. I look at my surroundings
before getting out of the truck, park as near as possible to my destination, and
try to make my business always done in daylight. I fired my rifle in Vietnam and
never knew if I hit another. I don't want to shoot a punk, and man, there are a lot
of them nowadays. But if nut comes to crunch I'll do my best to keep myself
together. And with the slow but methodical loss of gun rights it will become
more and more difficult to survive. Perhaps, for me, it's getting close to check out time.
It seems to me that you have gotten better in an important aspect of self-defense: your situational awareness has improved over time... As we get to our older years, a honest assessment of our physical limitations and planning accordingly is needed.

I've learned that the ever narrowing price difference between surplus and new production ammo pretty much makes surplus an unnecessary hassle. It can have powder that's become acidic and overpressured, internal invisible rust, often have corrosive primers that are time consuming to clean up after, voids factory warranties, and many have steel cores that increase sparking/fire danger. For example, when 8mm was 15 cents a round, easy decision. When it's nearly 70 cents, I'll go new production for a quarter more per round.

This thread has taught me that I should start carrying a fire extinguisher. 'Cause who knows, it might save your life someday when you're attacked by someone with a flame thrower. And more is always better.

Last Edited:
I can't remember the FBI did a little study and it was something like if a person has their knife out and was 20 feet away and you still have to draw your gun you're gonna get stuck.
I like pepper spray but even the small bottles are nuisance sized, They have a safety lever that needs to be manipulated and depending on the wind there's about a 25% chance you're going to get a taste also. I Carry what I consider to be a pretty nice knife, a bench made auto so It can be completely manipulated open and closed with one hand. I Carry the same knife and I use the crap out of it daily, it's by far the deepest sunk muscle memory I have for what would be considered a viable weapon. As far as Swiss Army knives they have their place but I don't carry any knife with a blade that doesn't lock open or in a struggle I think you're asking for trouble.
It's called the 21 foot rule. It's well known and has been proven repeatedly. Myth Busters even did a segment on it.

Unless you are Jerry Michalec (spelling) or you are a serious draw from CC practitioner then a person with a blade (even not in hand) is a major threat.

Look at 21 feet and you will quickly realize that most conflicts you may have are likely to be inside that number. I had an instructor that would stand at 21 feet and all I had to do was put my hand in front of my face as soon as he moved. Long story short I never was able to beat him when he was up to me and had a fist a 1/4 inch from my nose, and I knew it was coming.

I can have a knife in hand faster then I can draw any of my CC guns and I am (to my mind) extremely proficient with one.

So anyway…. My grandfather was a great man and role model - he is who I have strived to be all of my life even though he is 20+ years gone now.

He believed that a pocket knife (one of those old standard 2-3 blade things, mine are all assisted lock blades now) and a handkerchief was a mandatory minimum to even walk out of the bedroom.

I have done that since I was around 16, a bandanna and a pocket knife.

Things that have changed:

I carry a larger gun with more capacity but still in 9mm.

I carry a 'work' knife or 'dress' knife and a defense knife everywhere (sometimes 2 defensive knives depending on the day and location)

As my daughter is now an adult I have a knife in the house in every place I may go just on the off chance I'm in sweats or something. VS I never left a knife anywhere but in me or in the bedroom in a safe place.

I always have a gun on or near me vs when I would get home the gun would go into the safe - hey times have changed and it is a very comforting feeling to know if someone knocks and then kicks in my door that I'm well prepared for that.

Maybe the biggest change is my go bag. I don't have one stashed in my rig or anything, it is literally with me anywhere I go now. Sometimes the size or look of the bag changes but I always have it. It holds my leatherman cuz I got tired of it on my hip lol.

I keep everything I would need to walk home in it - way overboard for most but when someone needs something, I generally have it.. it is a small burden to carry and a great comfort to know I have just about anything at my fingertips.

I'm not what most would consider a soft target and I've worked my whole life with my head on a swivel because I've always done field work and never know where I may be and at what time. So I've never in 28 years of field work needed to pull or draw anything.

I make eye contact with everyone and nod or say hello, treat even the worst looking street people with basic human respect and have never had to de-escalate a situation that got even close to out of hand.

Be the person you want to be every day and you do you (people in general) and I'll do me.

Cheers

My mentality to conflict/confrontation. Staying humble and avoiding altercations. Emotional control.

Medical is just as important if not more so then the firearm.

As my family grows the importance of carrying and training rises rapidly.

Taking a honest and realist look at the consequences of using a firearm in a legal and justified shoot and coming to peace with the fact of what I may face if I am forced to use a firearm.

Run away if possible.

Getting into jiu jitsu and I am just trying to add as many tools to my belt as possible.

A gun shouldn't be the only tool you have to resolve conflict.
Sometimes you can use verbal martial arts it worked when I worked in the prison many of times. I prefer this rout and involved way less paperwork which I absolutely despised ! I also agree just because you have a firearm you should not think you are Superman and start stuff and know when to just walk away. This is where things will get interesting non permit carry starts in June for Florida and there are plenty of hot heads. I know you folks have been to the range and noticed that guy that while can legally own a gun shouldn't well these are the same people that will be carrying.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top