JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's simply a secondary tool for self defense.

What happens when you're in a physical altercation or in your vehicle and your "gun hand" gets pinned and you don't have an access to your firearm? A blade on your "weak side" fixes that problem.
If you are close enough to have your gun armed pinned, you're close enough to eye-gouge. There's nothing wrong with carrying a knife, but if we are talking that close of an altercation, putting a finger through an eye socket would suffice.

I don't know how a male can get along without a knife I use mine probably 20 times a day for everything except Knife fighting, it's s30v and razor sharp.
You have to read the whole exchange. The question is not whether to carry a knife. It is whether the tool like a Swiss army knife suffices compared to a lone blade.

Also, knives and their usefulness aren't exclusive to males.

If you are close enough to have your gun armed pinned, you're close enough to eye-gouge. There's nothing wrong with carrying a knife, but if we are talking that close of an altercation, putting a finger through an eye socket would suffice.
I'd rather put a blade in the side of their neck.

Edit - a motivated individual will fight through an eye-gouge.

Last Edited:
Are you just being argumentative because you can drive a nail with a shovel too it just doesn't work as well.

When I first started carrying I lived in a crummy apartment rife with meth heads and domestic violence. Drug addicts would smoke cigarettes on the landing at all hours. There was an angry meathead that used to beat up his ex-wife (who was also an a*hole, fwiw). Sometimes they would argue in the parking lot and he did not like me walking out to my car and interrupting him. It occurred to me he might one day mistakenly conclude I was banging his ex-wife, because he was paranoid. I carried a full size 1911 in 45ACP and I practiced with hot loads, and got pretty good.

These days I live in a quiet neighborhood in the suburbs, and I carry a .380 with a laser. Most of the people where I live now can probably be handled with a wiffle ball bat. I stay out of bad neighborhoods, and that has changed everything.

Are you just being argumentative because you can drive a nail with a shovel too it just doesn't work as well.
Nah, I'm saying that we can cook up a large number of "what if scenarios," and that if people are carrying a knife with the intention of using it defensively, that's an option, but it's not the only option instead of a gun that would still be effective.

It would be curious to see the videos of effective defensive knife uses where a firearm didn't/couldn't work. Typically the knife things I've seen have been 1 person armed with a knife attacking another unarmed person, typically the unarmed person was the victim.

Last Edited:
Nah, I'm saying that we can cook up a large number of "what if scenarios," and that if people are carrying a knife with the intention of using it defensively, that's an option, but it's not the only option instead of a gun that would still be effective.

It would be curious to see the videos of effective defensive knife uses where a firearm didn't/couldn't work. Typically the knife things I've seen have been 1 person armed with a knife attacking another unarmed person with a knife, typically the unarmed person was the victim.

I'm guessing he has a bit more experience then all of us combined.

It's simply a secondary tool for self defense.

What happens when you're in a physical altercation or in your vehicle and your "gun hand" gets pinned and you don't have an access to your firearm? A blade on your "weak side" fixes that problem.
I'm gonna go with "use my other gun hand" since I've got two of them. :p

Seriously though, if I'm reduced to a knife fight, I'm not young or a Marine or anything, I'm probably screwed. Besides, I'm on blood thinners and might cut myself. :s0092:

Seems like the trend is people are downsizing what they carry. I have done the exact opposite.

I originally started carrying very minimalistic cause comfort was a priority over capability. Now I care much more about capability than I do comfort.

Full size Glock 9mm w/ Surefire X300
(2) extra 19 round mags
Fixed blade - Amtac Northman
Folder - cheap kershaw
Handheld light - streamlight
CAT TQ
1-2 packs of Quikclot
Wallet
Keys
Phone.

Last Edited:

I'm guessing he has a bit more experience then all of us combined.
While true, the premise that you have someone in your passenger seat who becomes a threat while you are in the driver's, without advanced warning, seems like it would be a scenario really only experienced by undercover cops/espionage work.

I'm gonna go with "use my other gun hand" since I've got two of them. :p

Seriously though, if I'm reduced to a knife fight, I'm not young or a Marine or anything, I'm probably screwed. Besides, I'm on blood thinners and might cut myself. :s0092:
You carry two guns?

You have to read the whole exchange. The question is not whether to carry a knife. It is whether the tool like a Swiss army knife suffices compared to a lone blade.

Also, knives and their usefulness aren't exclusive to

It would be curious to see the videos of effective defensive knife uses where a firearm didn't/couldn't work. Typically the knife things I've seen have been 1 person armed with a knife attacking another unarmed person with a knife, typically the unarmed person was the victim.
I can't remember the FBI did a little study and it was something like if a person has their knife out and was 20 feet away and you still have to draw your gun you're gonna get stuck.
I like pepper spray but even the small bottles are nuisance sized, They have a safety lever that needs to be manipulated and depending on the wind there's about a 25% chance you're going to get a taste also. I Carry what I consider to be a pretty nice knife, a bench made auto so It can be completely manipulated open and closed with one hand. I Carry the same knife and I use the crap out of it daily, it's by far the deepest sunk muscle memory I have for what would be considered a viable weapon. As far as Swiss Army knives they have their place but I don't carry any knife with a blade that doesn't lock open or in a struggle I think you're asking for trouble.

You carry two guns?
Some folks do. Me - not very often. But, I always carry two hands.

Mostly, I just try to avoid people. And, I always avoid Portland.

I do often carry a knife, but it's a folder and in my front pocket. If I'm sitting in a car, that's gonna be a slow process getting it out and open with one hand.

Back on topic what I have changed lately is beacause I'm getting older my eyes are changing. I ditched the DPP a few months ago I just listed my EOTech, I just can't run red dots anymore. I'm switching to lpvo's and or iron sights

I can't remember the FBI did a little study and it was something like if a person has their knife out and was 20 feet away and you still have to draw your gun you're gonna get stuck.
I like pepper spray but even the small bottles are nuisance sized, They have a safety lever that needs to be manipulated and depending on the wind there's about a 25% chance you're going to get a taste also. I Carry what I consider to be a pretty nice knife, a bench made auto so It can be completely manipulated open and closed with one hand. I Carry the same knife and I use the crap out of it daily, it's by far the deepest sunk muscle memory I have for what would be considered a viable weapon. As far as Swiss Army knives they have their place but I don't carry any knife with a blade that doesn't lock open or in a struggle I think you're asking for trouble.
That's assuming the person with the gun doesn't move while they are drawing. You can turn around and run away while you draw your gun.

In terms of struggle, I don't plan to use a knife defensively, it's ok.

Some folks do. Me - not very often. But, I always carry two hands.

Mostly, I just try to avoid people. And, I always avoid Portland.

I do often carry a knife, but it's a folder and in my front pocket. If I'm sitting in a car, that's gonna be a slow process getting it out and open with one hand.
Can you easily get to your firearm with both hands?

I carry appendix (directly below my belly button) and I struggle getting my firearm out with my "weak hand." It can be done but I won't be able to do it in a full blow, high induced stressful scenario.

That's my main reason for carrying a fixed "defensive" blade. It's not my primary tool but it will be extremely beneficial if I get in a pinch. It weighs absolutely nothing and takes up minimal space on my belt.

I have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Plus the sheath has a fire starter built in if I were to ever need it.

Short version...

1: Carry a firearm you understand and can control

2: Be aware of your surroundings/plan ahead

3: Don't get involved or involve a firearm unless absolutely necessary/know the laws

4: Deescalate as best you can if possible

5: Get some sort of legal protection

6: Carry less-lethal options

7: Keep it brief with law enforcement

Long version...

I've been a Marine since 2007 when I was fresh out of high school, and have only been carrying civilian side since 2011. Started off with a basic Gen3 Glock27 and that had been my EDC from 2011-2016 until I got into a defensive shooting and I wouldn't get my Glock back until 2019 after I won at trial, then I continued to carry that pistol from 2019-2022 when I sold it and got a Gen3 Glock22 instead and have been more accurate overall since I can control it better when shooting fast and moving.

I went with the 40s&w because I've seen and know how ineffective 9mm is at stopping anyone or anything unless you empty magazines or hit your target in the dome, which is a very small target to hit in any defensive situation.

I've always been aware of my surroundings and notice details of everything. That was always something I've had, but even more so when carrying a firearm every day. Reading the room, watching body language, where the entries and exits are, forming "what if" scenarios in my mind and how I'd counter if something bad went down, what's in the background in case I had to fire at someone in (X) location. Always having my back against a wall or at least somewhere that I can see all the points of entry.

The most important things I've learned and have changed while carrying is do NOT involve yourself or your firearm unless absolutely necessary. The defensive shooting I was in was in defense of a third party, and although it was justified, I use even better judgement now when considering drawing and shooting. Also know the self defense and firearm laws in your area, state, or where ever you plan to travel.

I also learned to get some sort of financial protection like USCCA. I know I've heard some sh!t about them, but if it's self-defense, it's self-defense, and yet another reason not to involve a firearm unless you have to. I don't start trouble, I don't get involved in other peoples business, I've always been good at deescalating, but sometimes things can't be helped. Just because you can stand your ground, doesn't mean you should, and you really need to pick your battles.

I also now carry mace and also a taser, and I have trained with those. My tolerance has gotten better over time, and I know what any potential attacker will experience. I've never had to use either on any human, but I did scare off 3 dogs over the last few years with just the sound of the taser zapping. I really don't want to have to shoot a dog, or shoot within town or city limits. I also carry a sjambok when I'm out walking the dog. Basically a big whip that is scary and has range.

I made the mistake of going over every detail with law enforcement shortly after the incident, and they used that against me all through the trial, even though my story never changed and I described exactly what went down exactly how it went down. Now I know better to just keep it brief. There's plenty of good advice out there on this, so I won't go on about it.

I'm done. Lol

Last Edited:
FYI for those wanting a backup belly gun this swing out cylinder 22 mag at 6.7 oz fits in your watch pocket, mini pocket holster, belt buckle, knife belt holster, neck holster. Swing out cylinder version is called sidewinder.

In car around here re armed carjackings I have witnessed 3. I normally have a 556 bufferless pistol or pcc/pdw in sling bag that acts as a scabbard/holster. Sing bag easy to take with you so you don't have to leave gun in the car. Takes about 1.5 seconds to deploy. Normally have edc and mini backup gun as well. The carjackings I've seen you have a few seconds at most so most critical element Imo is early detection. Follow the Jeff Cooper four color system.

Last Edited:
Can you easily get to your firearm with both hands?

I carry appendix (directly below my belly button) and I struggle getting my firearm out with my "weak hand." It can be done but I won't be able to do it in a full blow, high induced stressful scenario.

That's my main reason for carrying a fixed "defensive" blade. It's not my primary tool but it will be extremely beneficial if I get in a pinch. It weighs absolutely nothing and takes up minimal space on my belt.

I have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Plus the sheath has a fire starter built in if I were to ever need it.
Truthfully "no" I can't. But most of the time it would have to be my wife pinning my strong hand, because I'm always the one driving. (In fact, when I'm not driving I'm usually with a friend that is also carrying.) More likely someone attacking me in my car would be pinning my weak hand.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it's not a good idea to carry a knife for defensive purposes, I'm just not as preparedness minded as you are. It's not that I don't have any such mindset at all. If I'm somewhere that I'm likely to need a fire starter for instance, I either have one in my vehicle or in my backpack. When I'm out hunting, I've got a ziploc bag that contains all kind of stuff for emergencies - and not just toilet paper. I don't go into town all that often, and stay out late in shady areas very infrequently. I know, I know, it can happen anytime/anywhere - that's why I'm usually packing a gun (always if my family is with me). I suppose I could carry two guns and wear body armor, but weighing the possibilities, I don't feel my approach is unreasonable, and probably better than a large percentage of the population. I spend a lot of my time at home, and that is one place I would make a formidable foe.

To the OP's question: As old as I am, I'm still learning. I've somewhat fallen into the camp of "having a gun is better than not" and often carry a Sig P238 pocket carry. However, as of late I've been having second thoughts about the pocket carry. It's the most convenient/comfortable, but sloooooooooow on the draw. So sometimes I use one of the post type holster/carriers appendix carry. I would rather carry (and sometimes do if I'm wearing enough bulky clothes) a larger pistol with higher capacity with an IWB holster. If I'm out in the woods, like yesterday, I may be carrying a S&W 686 or 629. Love those guns, but a bit bulky and harder to conceal for town trips.

One thing I sorta just learned in recent years is, I approached my neighbor as he was nailing a board back up on his corral (rural area, acreage) and noticed the pistol on his his hip. Now, he's not nearly as much of a "gun guy" as I am, so I asked him about it. We talked about how any yahoo could come walking up off the main road less than 200 yards away, past the numerous "No Trespassing" signs, and do whatever. Not long after that, some freak walked off of Hwy 58 near Pleasant Hill and shot a guy in the face and killed his wife. Since then, I've been more inclined to be armed on my own property outside of the house - like working in the yard.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top