JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks NICE! Pricey but looks very well made. When walking my dogs I carry one made by Cold Steel that it looks like they don't make any more. Same curved head so looks like a normal cane. Made out of some kind of composite material that is heavy and impossible to break. I weigh #250 and I can put all my weight on it and it does not give at all. Seems a shame they stopped offering them. Any well made cane like this can be a GREAT tool that most don't give a second look
Pity. I EDC their Walkabout Stick, with a rubber cane-tip and a couple reflector-tape bands added, and now wonder if it's not "discreet" enough. Funny, the last time I left it on a bus the lady at Dispatch who was holding it for me said she was getting envious looks cast at it all the way from her desk to the door...

Pity. I EDC their Walkabout Stick, with a rubber cane-tip and a couple reflector-tape bands added, and now wonder if it's not "discreet" enough. Funny, the last time I left it on a bus the lady at Dispatch who was holding it for me said she was getting envious looks cast at it all the way from her desk to the door...
Looking at one just now does not look to me like something anyone would give a second look at. Especially with reflective tape looks like you are using it for safety. That looks like its made of the same composite mine is. That is probably great as to a casual glance they just look like any other cane but, damn things will not bend or break. Before I found the one I carry now I bought one shaped a lot like that made out of hardwood. Since I was using it while walking a dog I drilled a hole in it to put a wrist lanyard on it. So when I needed hands free I could still have it hanging from one wrist and not have to set it down. Now with the old style hook I just hang it from my forearm. Never had yet to wack a two legged critter but the damn thing has been GREAT for fending off 4 legged. Many times when some large dog decided they wanted to make a happy meal out of one of my dogs just the threat of the stick held out was enough to keep them at a distance. Couple time I did give one a good wack with it when they ignored it and so far has always made them back the hell off my dog. :D

Cool thread, sorry I missed it earlier.

It did make me think of something though. Has anyone else noticed that many "self-defense" threads have their own Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon going on, where at some point in time we are going to talk about either the 21 foot rule (reactionary gap principle) or the Mozambique Drill (Failure Drill)? Anyone?

Six Pages of 21Mozambique.

In the four years or so I've been using my Kingsbury cane no one has ever commented on its potential use as a weapon. People do notice and comment on it. "Classy looking cane." Cane Masters actually lists it as a walking cane rather than a walking/fighting cane, all to the better, I think. The wood is 1" hickory because that wood is both immensely strong and light. You want a fighting cane to be light so it can be swung fast. The bird head design on the end of the crook provides a ridge along the back of the birds head to concentrate impact. The birds beak ends in a blunt point. You can put that point behind the bad guys neck below the skull and draw him to you. The point is blunt so it doesn't look like a weapon and doesnt break, but concentrates all the force of your pull in that tiny area. The two areas of indentations are hand grips that allow you to keep your grip in various fighting manuevers even if the cane is sweaty or wet. The derby on the hook makes the cane much better for walking but also provides an additional striking surface. I've found the black color ideal because I can touch up scratches or wear marks with black magic marker. And black goes with anything I might be wearing.

My cane is my primary EDC these days. There are just so many places one can't legally carry a gun. I also always carry a Spiderco Endura 4 lock blade pocket knife with a 3 3/4" blade, indoors or out. Great for opening Amazon boxes. Or harvesting or cutting open fruits and vegetables for evaluation in the plant breeding field. I carry it because I need a knife to cut stuff with, not as a weapon. The cane can be used as a less-than-lethal weapon where that is what the situation calls for. And it is great for dealing with an aggressive dog in situations where killing the dog or discharging your gun would be problematic. When I'm carrying a gun, the cane is my nonlethal option. Or the surprise weapon I might need to deploy to make enough space so I can draw a gun.

There are lots of You Tube videos on cane fighting. Many feature young males in their prime who spend huge amounts of time cane fighting and doing other martial arts. But some are beginnerly enough to be useful to the likes of me--a polite considerate elderly gentlelady who has never in her life even flipped anyone off. (Pointed a gun at a bad guy on occasion, ready to kill if the gun and my tactics had not resulted in the desired de-escalation, yes. Been rude, no.)

Last Edited:
As to what I changed my mind about and/or learned:

Plenty of guns arent reliabIe. And I really like light crisp SA triggers and smooth reasonably light DAs. For revolvers I now stick to Colt, pre-lock SW, and Ruger.

I used to be into 22 target pistols. Not any more. I'm not into small game hunting. All my practice is usually combined with hiking. And when hiking I want more than a .22 with me. I'm happy to carry two guns if I'm expecting to do shooting in the woods. However, both will be major caliber, and one will be concealed while I'm shooting the other. I don't ever allow myself to be unarmed when shooting in the woods.

I really hate loading magazines, even with mag loaders. I like reloading revolvers or speed loaders.

I can't shoot small or light handguns well. There is a slight tremor in my extended arms that limits my accuracy with light handguns but is stabilized if the gun is heavier. So forget about the Charter Arms Bulldog, the Glock 23, and the J-frame .38 SW. And forget anything with small sights too. And I need to be able to see daylight on the sides of the front sight in the sight picture. For a snubby I need to file the notch in the back sight bigger and color it with black magic marker in order to get a sight picture I can shoot well with.

For me to be happy with a gun as my EDC I need to have shot it a lot. And I need to be able to take deer or bear with it if I need to. My EDC is the only gun I would likely have on me if I was away from the house and SHTF. And I won't shoot a gun a lot unless its a joy to shoot.

Replacing the springs on a Ruger Security 6 improves the trigger a lot but still leaves it far short of a pre-lock SW. If I want the smooth action of a SW I should buy SWs. Except for Thumper, my scoped 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk. He's strictly a hunting and recreation handgun and rifle substitute. And his SA is crisp. I like the way Rugers scope better than the way SWs do. And for that particular gun I want the option of firing .44 mag +P+. SWs are limited to standard pressure .44 mag. I also have an 8 1/4" SW 629, and feel I "need" another two. A pre-lock Mountain Gun and a pre-lock 6.5" Classic. If I could find a good pre-lock 629 Mountain Gun I might load it with 44sp and use it as my EDC and get out of 357.

The under lugged barrel of a Colt Anaconda .44 and the SW 686 and 629 give a muzzle heavy balance to the gun, even in Buddy, my 686 snubby. I really like that balance. It makes it possible to hip shoot or point shoot without using the sights. My hand can tell exactly where the muzzle is. I like that. And shooting a .44 from the hip is my favorite gun sport.

I hate magnaported handguns. They send more noise back to the shooter. I ruined a good Colt Anaconda .44 by having it magnaported. I care about the noise much more than the recoil.

Recently bought CZ P07. Not obvious where it fits in. Maybe as backup if I'm elk hunting with my scoped Super Redhawk (tottering after 'em with my cane) and get attacked by a pack of giant amoebas. Wanted a plastic wonder with high cap mags and a supressor. And figured and better get one now before they become illegal.

Last Edited:
Looking at one just now does not look to me like something anyone would give a second look at. Especially with reflective tape looks like you are using it for safety. That looks like its made of the same composite mine is. That is probably great as to a casual glance they just look like any other cane but, damn things will not bend or break.
IIRC CS uses polypropylene plastic. And it DOES get legit medical use, too--I have about 3 or 4 days a year that I never know when they're going to happen, but hip pain so bad it starts to make tearing my own femur out of its socket and beating myself unconscious with it seem like a more pleasant alternate option. :)

IIRC CS uses polypropylene plastic. And it DOES get legit medical use, too--I have about 3 or 4 days a year that I never know when they're going to happen, but hip pain so bad it starts to make tearing my own femur out of its socket and beating myself unconscious with it seem like a more pleasant alternate option. :)
That means you can carry it with you anywhere you go and in a pinch makes a good weapon. When Wife and I go to the dog park no one gives mine a second look as I "act" like I am actually using it. Couple times when I first started using one Wife stopped to ask me what was wrong? My "act" was convincing enough she thought I really needed the cane. Nice part of getting old and gray, no one gives a cane a second look. :D

My mentality to conflict/confrontation. Staying humble and avoiding altercations. Emotional control.

Medical is just as important if not more so then the firearm.

As my family grows the importance of carrying and training rises rapidly.

Taking a honest and realist look at the consequences of using a firearm in a legal and justified shoot and coming to peace with the fact of what I may face if I am forced to use a firearm.

Run away if possible.

Getting into jiu jitsu and I am just trying to add as many tools to my belt as possible.

A gun shouldn't be the only tool you have to resolve conflict.

thumbnail_20230831_160302.jpg

When I first started carrying I lived in a crummy apartment rife with meth heads and domestic violence. Drug addicts would smoke cigarettes on the landing at all hours. There was an angry meathead that used to beat up his ex-wife (who was also an a*hole, fwiw). Sometimes they would argue in the parking lot and he did not like me walking out to my car and interrupting him. It occurred to me he might one day mistakenly conclude I was banging his ex-wife, because he was paranoid. I carried a full size 1911 in 45ACP and I practiced with hot loads, and got pretty good.

These days I live in a quiet neighborhood in the suburbs, and I carry a .380 with a laser. Most of the people where I live now can probably be handled with a wiffle ball bat. I stay out of bad neighborhoods, and that has changed everything.
You B readin my mail ...

I don't really carry anymore. Body hurts, and having something strapped to my hip just doesn't work anymore. I also try to be better to people because of my own issues, so I'm trying to not look at everywhere I go as an issue. The perpetual fear of the unknown is a great tool to utilize in being prepared, but it is also extremely exhausting to always think something bad will happen. I stopped watching the news and stopped isolating the sources of propaganda to which I do give some of my time. It's no wonder some can get so caught up in fear if you watch only one side of the propaganda machine. I almost feel sorry for anyone that listens to Alex Jones on the daily. Even NWFA can be exhausting as it's become a one sided environment and the place has really let itself go.
So much truth in what you say.
Avoid bad places at all costs. Take the long way home.
Avoid putting yourself in bad situation.
Avoid people that have even a remote chance of being loud & violent.

Situational awareness has a cost. :) :) :)
Loud & aggressive people are vexations to the spirit.

thumbnail_20230831_160302.jpg

For those who carry a gun, much of our learning is driven by hands on experience. We get started knowing very little (maybe even thinking we know more than we really do), our approach makes contact with reality, we identify deficiencies, and our perspective evolves. When this happens we may find that ideas that we once considered infallible are really not so great. Sometimes the change is subtle; other times it's a complete paradigm shift. But there isn't a single one of us who thinks, acts, and carries with the same perspective that we did the first time we strapped a gun to our hip.

So looking back at your own personal journey of carrying a gun, what have you changed your mind about? How has your perspective shifted? How has the weight or importance of things changed over time? I'm really aiming for deeper insight into changes of mindset, training, behavior, focus, decision-making, etc. So, simple things like "the gun got smaller" are fine, but if throwing that example down please include the train of logic you used to make that decision, what tradeoffs you considered and how you weighed them, etc.
I learned that mudskippers have lungs so I continue to carry the 9mm Lunger with confidence.

That means you can carry it with you anywhere you go and in a pinch makes a good weapon. When Wife and I go to the dog park no one gives mine a second look as I "act" like I am actually using it. Couple times when I first started using one Wife stopped to ask me what was wrong? My "act" was convincing enough she thought I really needed the cane. Nice part of getting old and gray, no one gives a cane a second look. :D
Fortysomething, advanced graying and horrible Male Pattern Baldness--I have screaming nightmares about waking up to see what looks like a b*stard gay lovechild of Danny DeVito and Mr. Spacely from The Jetsons looking back at me in the mirror.

Seems like the trend is people are downsizing what they carry. I have done the exact opposite.

I originally started carrying very minimalistic cause comfort was a priority over capability. Now I care much more about capability than I do comfort.

Full size Glock 9mm w/ Surefire X300
(2) extra 19 round mags
Fixed blade - Amtac Northman
Folder - cheap kershaw
Handheld light - streamlight
CAT TQ
1-2 packs of Quikclot
Wallet
Keys
Phone.
Quoting myself cause things have changed due to injury and I can no longer carry what I did and have had to downsize…. Unfortunately.

Glock 48 w/ Streamlight TLR7 sub
(1) extra mag in a NeoMag carrier
Cloud Defensive CDH handheld light
Amtac Northman
Amtac Minuteman
CAT TQ
Quikclot

My mentality has remained the same.

I don't carry a 9mm gun anymore - not since using one on a critter here at the farm. Took several shots to make it stop moving. Yeah, I know about shot placement.

Nowadays my carry guns are either .357 mag or 45acp. I've taken deer with a 357, and they dropped in their tracks.

I'm not a veteran or a police officer, and don't plan on ever being either of those. What I am is an older gent with enough injuries and arthritis that I can neither run away nor engage in physical combat without injuring myself.

So I carry the hardest hitting thumper I can handle and shoot well. I really liked the S&W 640 I carried for awhile. Shouldn't have sold that revolver. Might replace it soon.

I keep pepper spray in the car, just in case I take a wrong turn and end up in the middle of a riot. This country is on a fast track to becoming a third-world bubblegum hole, and I don't think any politician of any stripe is going to fix things. I expect things will become worse - especially if the leftists stay in power for much longer.

Last Edited:
These "how to..." videos gotta lead to some people meeting the same fate as that poor fella.

I watched one on YouTube years ago where the guy was doing an inspirational presentation and as part of that he had a bit where he was showing how to disarm someone with a gun to his head. 😆 🤣

Of course the gun he was grabbing was a prop gun. The comments on the video were priceless.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top