JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm headed up to Southeast Alaska this summer to run a charter boat taking cruise ship passengers fishing. The schedule won't be too terribly demanding and I should have time for recreation. If you were going to Alaska for the summer what guns would you bring along? Anything is legal, I'll be traveling on the ferry with my car from Bellingham so there won't be any Canadian border crossings to worry about.

So far I'm bringing:

M&P9C (daily carry)
S&W 500

What else should I bring? I'm thinking about a 10/22 Takedown and a .45 with suppressors for both. I'd like to bring my Garand, but I'm worried about rust in the salt air.

The hardest part for me is ammo up there they do have quite a bit of some particular calibers and gauges but if you have a connection up there I would ask what that ammo situation is like stale I know somethings work very very scarce a while back my exes brother-in-law lived up there and I too was planning a trip for a long-range class

If ammo is abundant and price is of no concern I would bring whatever you could to get the most bang for your buck! Pistols shotguns 22's even though it has inflated prices

My plan was to bring my own ammo and get more as I went along if I had to. Ketchikan is a major city by Alaskan standards, and there's always mail order from Freedom Munitions and the CMP.

Last Edited:
The hardest part for me is ammo up there they do have quite a bit of some particular calibers and gauges but if you have a connection up there I would ask what that ammo situation is like stale I know somethings work very very scarce a while back my exes brother-in-law lived up there and I too was planning a trip for a long-range class

If ammo is abundant and price is of no concern I would bring whatever you could to get the most bang for your buck! Pistols shotguns 22's even though it has inflated prices
Most know this but remember,everything is shipped by barge or ship,raising the cost quite a bit.I would bring all the ammo for the guns I'll have,that is feasible.
Same with what guns I would bring. never know when someone wants to take you hunting,then you didn't bring your 375 H&H:(

Does Alaska have some sort of law preventing the same of a firearm to an out of state person? Cause Federal law sure doesn't. You just have to transfer through a FFL just like if I buy from someone in WA. Which I have done twice recently.

Does Alaska have some sort of law preventing the same of a firearm to an out of state person? Cause Federal law sure doesn't. You just have to transfer through a FFL just like if I buy from someone in WA. Which I have done twice recently.

Federal law allows sale of long guns to out of state residents as long as the laws of both states are followed. Oregon law allows Oregon residents to purchase long guns from FFL's in contiguous states only. Alaska is not a contiguous state, hence I can't purchase any firearms.

Stainless short barrel (18 to 20") 3" 12 ga.
Anything could happen to keep you up there and it is a good food getter at the least.
Slugs, sabots, lead shot 2's 4's
Plus its fairly easy to get ammo for anywhere.
I know you have the bear popper if needed, the 12 ga is a W C Scenario tool is all.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads