JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Batteries - AA's, AAA's, D's, C's, CR123 & equivalents... people will realize when power starts going out in places over the rioting / destruction that is almost inevitable in the next 24-48 hours that they need batteries for their gadgets.

Generators, if you can find them will be moving fast too.

I have a USB charger with a large battery so I can recharge my cell phone multiple times. That is assuming that the cell phone network still up or not. When we had heavy winds then snow and ice in the area where I live we lost cell phone service and cable modem service for most of the day one time. I drove to my sister's home and she had working cable but she had a cell phone outages as well but only for a few hours.

I only recall one time that we traveled to Las Vegas years ago and my next door neighbor called tell me our shared fence blew down. They said that power was out for 3 days so when we got back home we threw out all of the items in a refrigerator/freezer inside and then all of the frozen good in the garage freezer when we got home.

I keep a small container in both freezers now that I fill with water, and freeze it, Once the water is frozen I put a quarter on the frozen water and I have lid so the ice does not evaporate. When we have a power failure and the power comes back on I check if the coin is on the bottom which means we had a power outage and the the ice melted and then refroze.

There is already a shortage of pressure treated wood nationwide. Deck screws, roofing materials, sheet metal and plastic (corrugated or otherwise), tarps, etc. spray paint as well as most anything that requires a pressurized propellant is getting short. Meat is finally getting more expensive here, and less plentiful.

With all the wildfires and hurricanes this year, I'm not surprised.

My dad said he went to the lumber store for a couple of 2x6 8' boards and was astounded at the price. $10.

When I remodeled my bathroom last year, they were $5, which I thought was high.

I hear today that the little green propane pounders are in super short supply.
So I bought a 5' hose that is 20lb to 1lb cylinder ended at bimart and no more worries.
There is, as I understand it, a national propane shortage. A lot of pressurized gases are in shortages. Still a shortage on PT lumber, most forms of PPE, and galvanized metals.

I stocked up about a dozen of the little green cylinders earlier in the year. Used one over two days of camping in the summer, so should have plenty for a month-long power outage. Also filled up a couple of 5-gallon gas cans with ethanol-free fuel last month. I have an old Coleman 3500 watt generator that will work fine for recharging stuff in an emergency.

Just picked up another bulk pack of AA batteries as well, and another bulk pack of TP. Cupboards are full of canned and freeze-dried food so am confident I can make it a month solid off the grid if needed.

Zig while they zag. The things people are hoarding will saturate just like they did before. Ignore them once you have your bases covered and replace as you useat stores like WinCo that limit. Surely you learned the lesson last spring and have kept up your stock and can go for several weeks?

No TP means use of "personal rags" and bleach unless you install a bidet or a hand sprayer. Microfiber, baby. traps it all and cleans easy. I use microfiber rags already for wash cloths plus they have tons of other uses.

Overlooked right now are first aid supplies, pain relievers, vitamins, trauma supplies (Quikclot, sutures), medical tools like blood pressure cuffs, scissors, stethoscopes, etc. Also veterinary versions of common antibiotics as things have a very good chance of getting real messy.

Laundry, dish, and bath soaps. Also shampoos.

Water filtration. Outside the preparedness community nobody seems to think about this along with water storage.Get a jug or two every time you go shopping. Plan on two gallons per day per person times the number of days you might need to rely on these reserves if things go wonky or there is a large enough power outage that long enough to keep the towers full or the treatment plants going.

From a security perspective proximity alarms and cameras.Unfortunately a lot of prox sensors use primers :(

Spare batteries for your scopes and flashlights. LED camping lamps and batteries.

Water filtration. Outside the preparedness community nobody seems to think about this along with water storage.Get a jug or two every time you go shopping. Plan on two gallons per day per person times the number of days you might need to rely on these reserves if things go wonky or there is a large enough power outage that long enough to keep the towers full or the treatment plants going.
Don't forget - this time of year you can collect rain water. Some 5 gallon buckets with lids are good to have around.

My anecdotal experience is telling me there's a shortage of all things 45 caliber, be it Colt or ACP—no bullets, no brass, no loaded ammo.

:s0123:

Our Lord Browning said his children were all equals in his eyes.

Rrrrright......how do you know?

Well son. It's all right here.
Book_Of_Browning.jpg

No_Time_Fo_Dat.jpg

Wht yod' say fool? No time for DA LORD?

Aloha, Mark

Don't forget - this time of year you can collect rain water. Some 5 gallon buckets with lids are good to have around.

If you are going to be drinking it or cooking with it you still want to filter and possibly treat it. That's especially true if you are using your roof for collection. Lotsa nasty stuff like bird poop gets collected along with the water.

If you are going to be drinking it or cooking with it you still want to filter and possibly treat it. That's especially true if you are using your roof for collection. Lotsa nasty stuff like bird poop gets collected along with the water.
Buddy of mine almost died from spinal meningitis for drinking rainwater collected from his roof and not treated.

Buddy of mine almost died from spinal meningitis for drinking rainwater collected from his roof and not treated.
I was thinking more for washing and non-potable uses to save on the bottled stuff. But that's a good point. Have some chlorine bleach around in case it needs to be treated.

I was thinking more for washing and non-potable uses to save on the bottled stuff. But that's a good point. Have some chlorine bleach around in case it needs to be treated.

My Big Berkey has filters capable of removing anything shy of a virus, but I'd still want to boil or otherwise treat it. I'd relegate rain water for things like flushing toilets and look to gather potable water from nearby streams and then filtering or treating. I already know which streams are close and clean enough to use.

I'd relegate rain water for things like flushing toilets and look to gather potable water from nearby streams and then filtering or treating.
There's a great thought probably overlooked by a lot of people. You can still use the toilet if you can get water into it, and the water doesn't have to come from pipes. For folks in an urban/suburban environment, rainwater may be the only option. It's a lot more comfortable using the bathroom than a slit trench or cat hole in the back yard, esp. in bad weather!

There's a great thought probably overlooked by a lot of people. You can still use the toilet if you can get water into it, and the water doesn't have to come from pipes. For folks in an urban/suburban environment, rainwater may be the only option. It's a lot more comfortable using the bathroom than a slit trench or cat hole in the back yard, esp. in bad weather!

Trash bag, if needs be...

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top