JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Be patient. Our local sheriff comes to our towns police department once a month to collect CCW applications and do the fingerprinting to save our towns residents a 45 minute drive. I live in a town of 2000 people. Last week the line stretched out the door and down the sidewalk. They're busy

Hello - new member here. Searched around but couldn't find any previous post covering this:

Wondering what recourse one has if their CCW fails to arrive in the legally mandated 45 days. Do you simply go down to the Sherifs office and request a temp, or is there some other action one should take - or perhaps there's nothing one can do??

Thanks for the info!!

Do a google search of 'redneck with a concealed weapons permit' if ur not the dude in speedos on a bed or the dude that shot the senator. You should be safe.

Kind of veering a little off the thread here, or maybe not...

If you're getting a new NFA toy anytime soon, the Federal Form 4's you send to ATF will also need the Sheriff's signature, just like your CHL. If you do that within a month after you get or renew the CHL, remind them they just did your background check. They can waive the second $35 fee for your ATF papers. Works in Multnomah County. Worth asking wherever you apply if you're doing both anyway.

Of course the standard silly Federal fees and waiting will still apply after that.

Be patient. Our local sheriff comes to our towns police department once a month to collect CCW applications and do the fingerprinting to save our towns residents a 45 minute drive. I live in a town of 2000 people. Last week the line stretched out the door and down the sidewalk. They're busy

I heard 26 applications that day. The gal taking prints was saying it was the highest number they had taken in a long while.

Hello - new member here. Searched around but couldn't find any previous post covering this:

Wondering what recourse one has if their CCW fails to arrive in the legally mandated 45 days. Do you simply go down to the Sherifs office and request a temp, or is there some other action one should take - or perhaps there's nothing one can do??

Thanks for the info!!

OH just so you know there is no such thing as a temp.

might be the difference between having a conversation with the cops and not having one.

And you are worried that? I carry in an OWB holster, and have for 42+ years, in WA, OR, ID and a few other states, and if it is not cold enough for a coat, it is right out there...in 42+ years I have had 3 "conversations with LE", all very pleasant, never asked for my CPL, never been disarmed. Wjhat is your problem?

And you are worried that? I carry in an OWB holster, and have for 42+ years, in WA, OR, ID and a few other states, and if it is not cold enough for a coat, it is right out there...in 42+ years I have had 3 "conversations with LE", all very pleasant, never asked for my CPL, never been disarmed. Wjhat is your problem?

do I really have to post the countless videos of legal citizens that end horribly because the cop is having a bad day and saw someone doing something they didn't like, even though it was totally legal. I don't have problems with cops, but that doesn't mean there isn't cops with problems.

They are running behind. I called last week and was told, on Thursday that they were currently processing for the 17th...of December. if they told you 3-4 weeks they meant 5-6.

Ouch.

I had a two month wait just for my appointment, which is coming up in the middle of the month. At this rate, I may be lucky to have my CHL by the 4th of July.

Hopefully I'm not having to buy ten round magazines and try to figure out if I should move at that point.

I am on the same boat with you. My currents permit will expire in Feb 19th. I renewed mine on Jan 25th, if my permit didn't come home before by the 45 days of my recieve then I will open carry.

I renewed mine about a year ago and walked out of the office with the new one in my hand (Clackamas). Did something change and they mail it now?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

So you let the anti's bully you over a constitutionally protected legal activity? Guess what? That is why they are winning....they use fear....If you don't put on a show, no-one will even notice. I have openly carried in Portland when I was down there visiting...never had a problem, not even a conversation.

Also, there is possible redress in the Federal courts if you do get hasseled. Yes, I have heard that some on the Portland PD do need to be educated, (and spanking their pocketbook is how you educate them) but I do not think, on the whole, they are as bad as you think, at least that has been my experience.

To provide some insight on the original question, I recently held a CHL class at my house (had a bunch of friends who wanted one, and I got to add Arizona,) and the instructor mentioned that Oregon law says that it's 45 days from when they "receive the paperwork", and that with the backlogs, they are claiming that from the date that the sheriff proper receives it - not the clerk. So with the backlog, they are taking a week or two for the sheriff to "receive" it. His advice was that you start counting from the day your check clears.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top