JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello - new member here. Searched around but couldn't find any previous post covering this:

Wondering what recourse one has if their CCW fails to arrive in the legally mandated 45 days. Do you simply go down to the Sherifs office and request a temp, or is there some other action one should take - or perhaps there's nothing one can do??

Thanks for the info!!

Don't panic.

Call the CHL unit of your Sheriff's Department and they can tell you where in the process your permit is. It is all computerized and therefore easy to track progress.

You take a deep breath and realize that there has been a massive push and they are doing more now per day than they probably did per month a year ago.

um.... yeeea.... no one is upset here. not sure how i came across that way. i was simply asking a question about what happens if/when anyone (not just me) doesn't receive their CCW in 45 days.

this is an educational question... not an "oh my god i need my permit now what do i do" kind of thing.

I would just call and ask them man.

I know the Clark County Sheriffs office and Multnomah has seen a HUGE increase in applications since the mall shooting and sandy hook. KATU did a segment on the issue a while back.

Wait longer.....I got mine out of Jackson County, it took 9 weeks and that was before it became fashionable.....the counties are severely understaffed lately, especially to handle the resent outbreak.

so wait... the response from everyone to our government not following their own laws (which require a 45day max turn around on ccw permits) is to just let it slide?

don't get me wrong, i certainly appreciate the failure of the oregon legislature to properly fund law enforcement, choosing instead to fund other unnecessary things - but as citizens, we can't simply claim lack of time or money for a failure to obey the law right? why should the sheriff be allowed to??

just sayin. i appreciate the strain all of the sheriffs offices are in, but the law is the law in this regard no?

(keep in mind, i'm not at 45 days yet... just getting close. this is just a larger topic of conversation that i thought needed to be had).

Well if your the kind of guy that screams at the girl at BiMart beacause they are out of .22 shells. I guess you could go down to the sherrfs office and start screaming about how they are not following the laws.

OR you could call once you are actually beyond the 45 days by a couple and get the people working thier asses off a call and politely ask if there has been a problem you can help with or if you are just in the Que and will get your permit when its your turn.

so wait... the response from everyone to our government not following their own laws (which require a 45day max turn around on ccw permits) is to just let it slide?

don't get me wrong, i certainly appreciate the failure of the oregon legislature to properly fund law enforcement, choosing instead to fund other unnecessary things - but as citizens, we can't simply claim lack of time or money for a failure to obey the law right? why should the sheriff be allowed to??

just sayin. i appreciate the strain all of the sheriffs offices are in, but the law is the law in this regard no?

(keep in mind, i'm not at 45 days yet... just getting close. this is just a larger topic of conversation that i thought needed to be had).

I DO understand where you are coming from, it certainly is a double standard and pretty dang absurd if you think about it.

But...

Choose your battles wisely.

If I was a OR resident I would be much more worried about what some of your state reps are proposing be rammed down your throats this session than the sheriffs department being so busy its taking extra time to process your CHL application. Hell, I'm a WA resident and concerned for you enough that I'm joining off this week.

Clark County here in WA sent my CPL on the last possible day they could, I kid you not. This was before all the craziness going on now.

anybody in Multnomah County gotten their permit recently that could give a time frame? I did my finger prints on Jan 3rd and was hoping to go to Salem armed but it didn't come in time. I know that was expecting a lot but I would really like to go to the Feb 8th event with a sidearm. No biggie, just asking.

Hello - new member here. Searched around but couldn't find any previous post covering this:

Wondering what recourse one has if their CCW fails to arrive in the legally mandated 45 days. Do you simply go down to the Sherifs office and request a temp, or is there some other action one should take - or perhaps there's nothing one can do??

Thanks for the info!!

What you do is Openly Carry your siidearm until your CHL arrives. Unlicensed Open Carry, LOADED is legal in OR, even though Portland and Salem my restrict the "LOADED" part, but not the "CARRY" part.

You location is S Oregon...no restrictions...Openly Carry your sidearm, LOADED, (it's usless otherwise) everywhere you go, except into a "Government building" (See ORS 166.360 through 380) and you will be fine.

anybody in Multnomah County gotten their permit recently that could give a time frame? I did my finger prints on Jan 3rd and was hoping to go to Salem armed but it didn't come in time. I know that was expecting a lot but I would really like to go to the Feb 8th event with a sidearm. No biggie, just asking.

No clue man. My wife is starting the process tomorrow. She made a appointment for the " class " down town tomorrow night. Sounds like you are way ahead of her in the process.

not to get off topic here - but in response to the open carry suggestion: what's considered "open".

if i have an IWB holster and carry in that, but without an overshirt or whatever so that it can be clearly seen (by those paying attention anyway), is that considered concealed?

not to get off topic here - but in response to the open carry suggestion: what's considered "open".

if i have an IWB holster and carry in that, but without an overshirt or whatever so that it can be clearly seen (by those paying attention anyway), is that considered concealed?

might be the difference between having a conversation with the cops and not having one.

ORS 166.250(3) openly, in a holster, on your hip, is not subject to the restrictions in ORS 166.250. ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes You should also read ORS 166.260 (exemptions to 250)

They are running behind. I called last week and was told, on Thursday that they were currently processing for the 17th...of December. if they told you 3-4 weeks they meant 5-6.

They are running behind. I called last week and was told, on Thursday that they were currently processing for the 17th...of December. if they told you 3-4 weeks they meant 5-6.

that sucks. I am willing to bet that the days from then on had less people applying because of the holidays. but after the new year was probably a landslide.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top