JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Virgin reloader here 😁 what all do we need to start? Mainly will do 9mm and .223. Not sure what else we need I'm guessing
1 press
2 scale
3 powder
4 Primers
5 brass
6 Brass tumbler of some sort?
7 lead bullets I suppose
what else?

good calipers or case length gauge, case trimmer, case deburring tool, primer pocket brushes, dies, shell holders, lube, lube pad.

buy a good reloading kit, it will have most of what you need.

You have a good list started, and Bionic Knees covered other important items.

The first thing I would get, that I didn't see on your list, is a good reloading manual that describes the process, and what all is involved in the process. This will help you determine what you may actually need to reload for the calibers you plan to, rather than some extra nice to have stuff you may or may not want to incorporate.

Next, I would see if there is a seasoned reloader or someone who teaches reloading in your area to provide some instruction, maybe even before you start buying stuff. I just helped a couple friends near me get started last weekend.

If you decide it's for you, pay attention to the critical safety aspects, and enjoy the journey!

Get the Lyman Reloading Handbook and read the front half, most of your answers will be found there and as a bonus the back half contains the load data you will be needing anyway.

I'll ad, DON'T go cheap on a press. If you decide to get the set-up in pieces! Lee's bottom end press, maybe others, aren't suitable for long/heavy use.

Might want to buy some lotto tickets and a crystal ball while you are at it.

The lotto tickets are to attempt to afford primers. Mileage may vary.

The crystal ball is for finding correct powders and primers.

IOW, it's a bad time to get into reloading, especially with ammo coming back and starting to lower in costs.

Once the ammo stabilizes, usually components follow.

Start collecting what you can now, but for the rest, I'd sit back and wait till things settle down a bit. $0.10 primers really take the budget out of hand loads and at times factory ammo prices per round are comparable or cheaper. At least until primers go back to something resembling normal again.

Might want to buy some lotto tickets and a crystal ball while you are at it.

The lotto tickets are to attempt to afford primers. Mileage may vary.

The crystal ball is for finding correct powders and primers.

IOW, it's a bad time to get into reloading, especially with ammo coming back and starting to lower in costs.

Once the ammo stabilizes, usually components follow.

Start collecting what you can now, but for the rest, I'd sit back and wait till things settle down a bit. $0.10 primers really take the budget out of hand loads and at times factory ammo prices per round are comparable or cheaper. At least until primers go back to something resembling normal again.
There IS this ^^^^. :s0155:

BUT, if you don't care about the out-lay, it can be a very rewarding pass time. Though I have the feeling that we will NEVER see any of our loading equipment or components come down to anywhere near where they were before the rona. I really believe that the politicians are working towards making gun ownership and everything related to it, a very expensive and difficult thing to participate in. Think England like laws and regulations.

So if you've got the money and really sure you want to get into this, I say go for it. Going to gun shows and picking up some of the large pieces used may be a way to save some.

With the above kit you likely need a balance beam scale. For me, personally, when I see a little cheap digital scale with a kit I cringe. They don't even name what model it is.

Case gauge.

For 9mm you can also simply use your barrel. Safely removed from your handgun. (Yes, I had to type out such. Because, well, morons.)

What else? Might take you some time to figure what you want to improve your process.

Progressive press. Especially for handgun. Of course, depends upon how much you shoot.

-Franklin primer tube filler. Pricey for what it is, however worthwhile to me.

Tumbler. I started with a cheapo harbor freight tumbler. Then upgraded it with a homemade drum. Then simply bought a FART. Should have just gone with the FART in the first place.

Brass dryer. Bought a Lyman on special. However sun drying and stove on low works as well. Or a used dehydrator if you can find one.

Last Edited:
You'll get plenty of advice on what tools you'll want so I'll just say buy the best you can afford. I've found no end of annoyance with the cheap brands and when I finally upgraded several steps in quality, I wished I'd done it that way from the start. Just like anything else tool related, the cheapest tools are often the most expensive

Must pad lubes are petroleum based and can damage the powder and primes so you have to make sure the lube is cleaned off after use. Most spray lubes are petroleum free and quick drying and don't need cleaning after use.

Get the Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual
Lots of great general reloading info plus load data for lead bullets. That should be your very first purchase. Read it, decide if you are willing to follow the safety rules of reloading. If yes, then, start accumulating the other stuff.
But seriously, don't buy anything until you read up on all the stuff you need to know first and decide if its worth the discipline.

Must pad lubes are petroleum based and can damage the powder and primes so you have to make sure the lube is cleaned off after use. Most spray lubes are petroleum free and quick drying and don't need cleaning after use.
I will call B.S. on this one as stated before I have used the RCBS lube and pad for over 4 decades without a problem. I have ammo that I loaded in the 70"s that works as well as any loaded yesterday. it is all based on what we were taught to use and what we like. I am not saying that the spray lube doesn't work, just not what I have used for years without issue.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top