JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
image.jpeg My bible since I was 16 years old.

Supposed to rain this afternoon so I am going to leash the dogs up and go see how far we make it before heading home.

i have a very physically demanding occupation and when i get home around 4:30 i chase a 2yr old wild child around for 5 hours till its his bed time then, i run 2-3miles about 9:30pm 5 days a week!

i have a very physically demanding occupation and when i get home around 4:30 i chase a 2yr old wild child around for 5 hours till its his bed time then, i run 2-3miles about 9:30pm 5 days a week!

Talk about a triple punch - demanding job, little kid and then running at night!!!

I'll be very happy just to get around the block a few times today:p

Talk about a triple punch - demanding job, little kid and then running at night!!!

I'll be very happy just to get around the block a few times today:p
ya man. i sleep about 6-61/2hrs a night too LOL. i went into my Dr for a GI issue and i told my Dr. all this and he goes. "well, you definately dont have a thyroid issue!" They did a Lab on me and it all came back normal. idk whats goin on but its irritating. exercise and water seems to help. a lot.

The trick to enjoying a walk is much like enjoying the woods when hunting.

Enjoy the sun in your face. Or the wind. The cold or the heat.
Understand this is the natural world. And trust your body can deal with it.
Feel it. You are part of it. You are made for it!
Not the computer and TV inside of your house. You should crave it. Not be repelled.

You may not see an Elk or bobcat.
But you will see Trees, birds, insects and other animals.
All interesting. And there distraction will help you use your imagination. And purge stress.
Notice them. Look for them!

Taking a walk has less to do with moving your legs.
And more to do with interpreting and being part of the world around you.
And if you can't slow down and do this. Then what is the point?

To go to work? Make money? Get drunk on the weekend?

A lot of people say getting exercise is a mental thing.
But for me I found that my body drove my mind.

Walking got my body's chemicals going.
And my mind is bathed in those chemicals. So I'm not surprised It was easy to keep exercising.

Just think what your normal blood psi and heart rate is.
Now think of what it is when you exercising?
This is what a body should experience. It's what it takes to push the blood to every capillary and cell. And what it takes to pull out all the waist from those cells.

It's what your endocrine system needs to function. And for your metabolism to work at a normal rate.

People often say they can't exercise because there in too bad of shape.
But the truth is there in bad shape because they don't exercise.

Not selling anything here. I'm just a guy that was on deaths door. And came back.

I would like to here from anyone who has walked for 45 minutes a day. For a year.
And hasn't had a dramatic health change for the better.

Damn man! One like isn't enough. And I was thinking I liked you only because of your fine .30 Carbine collection and the offer to help me, with mine.

Exercise? For 30 years I've had a fairly physical job. The repetition, I guess, has my shoulders and neck constantly in varying degrees of pain. If ya' ever saw me it looks like I'm shrugging with just my left shoulder For the last three years or so, if I don't get out and get exercise I can hurt worse than if I work. Luckily, the worst part of the day is getting out of bed. 9 out of 10 times it gets better!

For those that have pain that makes no sense, and the docs just hand you pills? Try some acupuncture. It hasn't cured what ails me, but it really takes the edge off things.

Damn man! One like isn't enough. And I was thinking I liked you only because of your fine .30 Carbine collection and the offer to help me, with mine.

Exercise? For 30 years I've had a fairly physical job. The repetition, I guess, has my shoulders and neck constantly in varying degrees of pain. If ya' ever saw me it looks like I'm shrugging with just my left shoulder For the last three years or so, if I don't get out and get exercise I can hurt worse than if I work. Luckily, the worst part of the day is getting out of bed. 9 out of 10 times it gets better!

For those that have pain that makes no sense, and the docs just hand you pills? Try some acupuncture. It hasn't cured what ails me, but it really takes the edge off things.

OK. The real reason I exercise.

Three neck surgeries. [It's held together with titanium plates now.]
Right shoulder impingement.
Eight bulged, blown, or fused discs.
And Cancer.

Fellas. I'm at a use it or loose it moment in my life! :D

Last Edited:
Nice weather for the next four days. Gona be in the low 60's.
Great weather to get out and take some longer walks.

We had some beautiful sunrises this week. And I notice the bulb's are coming on strong.
The birds to. They have started singing more loudly in the mornings. And the starlings are hard at work making there nests in the column on my front entry.

It won't be long and I will need to give the lawn a shave. And cut back some blackberry's.

I also said hello to a lot more walkers last week. The near 60 degree weather is bringing them out I suppose. Anyway it's nice to see people out. Folks are sparse on my deep winter walks.

We sure do live in a beautiful place.

I was able to get some lifting in yesterday but gassed myself out (bad day to start cutting out sugars maybe) and never got my walk in.

Just got up for the 2nd time today. I think I'll go walk the dogs before I start anything else.

According to my iphone pedometer I usually clock about 3-6 miles a day at work, then get home and chase a 3 year old.
Which ends in me chasing her laps around the house 20-30 times.

I try to spend 30mins to an hour stretching, using a form roller and a lacrosse ball to dig out all the knots (which is painful torture)

And I'm planning on getting back to my sit up and push up routine throughout the dwy at work.
Along with planks and side planks.

When I started to get strong again I didn't go all out with exercise, eating and cutting out all bad habits.

I didn't monitor steps or looked too closely at my heartrate or BP.
I was afraid the instant feedback would be demeaning and throw me off. I made gains. Not daily. But long term. Think monthly. Yearly.

My feedback was gaining 20lbs in three months. Then 30lbs. the first year. Then 40lbs the second year buy adding the Gym.
Committing to one thing [Walking] was simple. And gave me the gains I wanted over time.

It's low impact. And costs nothing but an hour of time.
Time spent bolstering my resolve to get healthier and plot my course. That's a lot of time daily to think how you got to this place. To focus on you. And enjoy the world around you.

Again. Walking is more than moving your feet. And the fact it takes time is one of the ways it works.

Shure I drank protein shakes to supplement my diet. But didn't sharpen my focus on the quality of my food the first year.
There is time for fine tuning later. Just get the organs working. Then your body will respond better to the other changes. And give better, faster feedback.

I made gains. Not daily. But long term. Think monthly. Yearly.

This is the biggest thing to focus on. It took you years to get out of shape, or fat, or unhealthy, etc
You won't be fit and in fighting shape in a month.
Eat right, don't eat fast food and garbage, cut out sugar, drink plenty of water, and move! Doesn't matter what your doing for exercise, just move your bodies.
It's the sedentary life that will kill you and eat away at you.

You look at old folks (65-80) and it's those people that keep moving that are able to get around and live a good long life.
I see them all the time at the gym. Damn old people are in better shape than me.

I met a guy at the gym. Would just sit on the recumbant bike day after day pedaling slowly.
He was about mid 80s.
I asked what he did for a living when he was younger.
He had a little smile on his face when he told me he stormed a little beach in Normandy.

Good God. This fail old man was an American Badarse.
I was speechless and had goosebumps.

I helped push my friends pickup after he twice managed to get stuck while turning around on a logging road. Twice he drove by turnouts saying "there will be another up ahead", and of course they both dead ended with no place to turn around. And of course he picked the worst places possible to try and turn around, so you can guess the results.:mad:

Thankfully it was a two wheel drive S-10, so it was light enough to rock and help muscle out.

Friday- Rode Bicycle
Saturday- Walked dogs
Today- New Sump Pump & Basin. Ugh...

A little over a year and a half ago I was hit by a drunk driver and nearly killed. After four surgeries, a lot of physical therapy, and a lot of work I'm finally getting back out doing what I like.
I'm stuck with a brace on my leg but I'm back doing Overlanding and hiking in my down time.
My wife and I have trips all over the western side of the country coming up this year.
I still have a lot of progress to make but I refuse to be held back by an injury. Nobody will ever be able to say I didn't live a full life.
Congratulations to medic!, clearconscience and everyone else on all their progress!

Walked 1/2 mile. Shoulder exercises with my M-4. Those hurt!:mad:

These shoulder exercises are of a Physical Therapy nature for a badly damaged right sholder. It will wake me up at night and bring tears to my eyes! The pain is savage all the time and especially during the exercises! BUT, I'm already seeing some results! Slept two nights in a row! Had to give up on the rifle and go to little wussy weights though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top