JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just changed my workout schedule from 3 days a week to 4 days a week. I do upper body, lower body, rest day, upper, lower, two rest days. This is my basic workout plan, though I do substitute some workouts between the different days.

Bent over Rows 6-8 reps 4x sets
Flat Bench press 6-8 reps 4x set
Military press 10-12 3x
Barbell curls 10-12 3x
Dips 10-12 3x

Squat 10 reps 4x sets
Deadlift 6-8 4x
Lunges 10-12 3x
Quad extension 10-12 3x
Calve raises 10-12 3x

I've definitely gotten stronger, and this workout plan. It's been combined with a diet plan of 6 meals a day designed with carbs for workout energy, and enough digestible protein throughout the day for muscle recovery. It's been a huge help thinking of food as 'what it will do to help my body' and not just what can I eat that's delicious. Sometimes there's some great overlap too, I've never eaten so many bagels and I'm digging it.

Like most of the 40 and 50 year old guys here my body has a lot of wear and tear on it.
So my weight lifting is sissy lifting for guys in there 20's and 30's.

I'm permanently banned from free weights. Just lifting and manipulating them into position can twist me in way's that hurts me.
So I'm over in the old man machine section. :D

That's OK. I'm not gona impress any one anyways. I'm just there to be the best version of me I can be.
Often I try a machine and find I need to build up to it slower than I want to. Maybe revisit it later? Or just not do it! I'm not into hurting myself.
But I try hard before giving up. You have to be both honest with yourself and willing to try.

During the spring, summer and fall. I feel stronger with less pain. But I need to take two months off in the winter because the cold and my spine don't mix well. Last year I took off January and February. This year December and most of January.

It feels like I'm playing a loosing game when I need to stop for the winter. It brings me down wondering if this is the end of my ability to lift?
Then my neck, back, and shoulders settle down and I'm back at it. And in a weak or two I'm back to my old strength and size. But better for the time off.

It's a balancing act. I don't want to accept my limits too easily. But I also know that I will need to constantly modify my workouts and be content with what I can do.

I have however, never needed to stop my walking. And It dose not seam to cost me.
It always makes me feel better. It's the undercurrent to my overall fitness program.
4 miles a day. 28 a week. Keeps me motivated and in shape. And I can see me walking well into my 90's. Just like my Grandparents did. There the ones that got me started.

I tell you guys. My old age was looking pretty ugly. Or non-existent!
When I look back on how I was aging then. Compared to now? I'm glad I had my health go to crap! I'm better off for it.

Last Edited:
Sunday at the range I got in fewer steps than I thought - about 6500 - about 3.2 miles.
We had about 80 turn out - it was a beautiful day.

Today -
Dead lift and
Bench press.

Got my body weight off the floor 3 times today.

I am spending about 30 minutes in the gym.

I agree with the sentiment - you need to do something. Movement of some kind. And lifting heavy things seems to be the best choice, for most.

If you want to loose weight, check your diet.

WOW! You guys are seriously talking exercise here.:eek: I was going to talk about how I drained down my lead pot for the year because the bullet drawers were full.:rolleyes:

Well, OK...I only had half a Granola Bar with my coffee this morning.:p

Sunday at the range I got in fewer steps than I thought - about 6500 - about 3.2 miles.
We had about 80 turn out - it was a beautiful day.

Today -
Dead lift and
Bench press.

I am spending about 30 minutes in the gym.

I agree with the sentiment - you need to do something. Movement of some kind. And lifting heavy things seems to be the best choice, for most.

If you want to loose weight, check your diet.

I feel more cardio when lifting weights then when walking.

And it makes your bones more dense. Good when your realy old.
It also helps the heart stay strong.
Some studies say it's better than other types of exercise in preventing heart attacks.

But don't go at it too hard and fast if your older like me.:D

Build up slowly. And you to can get swole! :s0140:

My problem is. I just can't lift all year. So walking is my go to.

Last Edited:
Lifting weights is a good way to lose fat too, not just doing cardio.
Most women forget or don't figure that one out. There is a common term we use "skinny fat" just because your skinny doesn't mean your healthy.

And you don't have to lift heavy to get strong or in shape. It's the little things you do that make the big differences.
I used to always lift heavy and try to get big. I worked out with guys that were usually 50lbs heavier than me and I would try to keep up. I got really strong but my knees, ankles, back, and elbows were always hurting.

Quality over quantity.
Usually those big guys full of steroids at the gym are some of the most beat use decrepit broken old people. They give themselves diabetes, kidney failure, all kinds if nasty ish.

But when you start pushing 40-50 years old a HGH or testosterone booster can change your life. Make you feel 20 years younger.

But when you start pushing 40-50 years old a HGH or testosterone booster can change your life. Make you feel 20 years younger.

I'm 48 and don't use any of that stuff. No shortcuts here.
I have energy. Muscle mass. And I'm lean. All with half of what other men have to make testosterone!

From my own personal experience. I wonder how many men using testosterone would need it if they got the kind of exercise I do?

Many will say they need it. But how many have put in the effort to find out?

If you believe the TV adds. Then All men just dry up and quit working at 40! :s0140:
But I think ''Argue for your limitations, and they will be yours.''

How old? How much you weigh?
My problem now is when I was young,lifting my body weight off the ground wasn't much of a challenge. !65-170? not a problem.Last time I went to the gym,and hurt myself,I shrugged over 500 pounds. Squats weren't great with chicken legs but my upper body strength messed my back up.I could roll a 18in backhoe bucket into a pickup
Lifting weights is a good way to lose fat too, not just doing cardio.
I was told YEARS ago that you needed to try to lose weight first. Then someone said ,well muscle burns fat fast,so if you lift,then your muscles are burning more fat

I like weights. I also like using a tractor tire.

My cardio is normally just biking or running, but I do like to go hiking often. A 20 mile hike is fun, just bring a lot of water and snacks.

I wonder how many men using testosterone would need it if they got the kind of exercise I do?

I know of a few (very few really, only 2) that needed testosterone. They don't need it anymore though.

Personally I eat a lot of complex carbs. I also eat lean meats. Only time I eat unhealthy is on a cheat day, and even then its controlled (no triple chocolate cake for me :(). Add that to a proper workout and you'll be in good shape.

How old? How much you weigh?
My problem now is when I was young,lifting my body weight off the ground wasn't much of a challenge. !65-170? not a problem.Last time I went to the gym,and hurt myself,I shrugged over 500 pounds. Squats weren't great with chicken legs but my upper body strength messed my back up.I could roll a 18in backhoe bucket into a pickup

I am 55 at 240lbs - 5-9. Fat around the middle.
Which is my goal to remove, over the 2016 year.

My strength goals include stuff like benching over my body weight - last I did that was when Ronnie was in office and I weighed 165 - and I could bench 200.
Pull ups / Chin ups. Which I haven't tried in a while.
I want to dead lift 315.

Until I can perform a lift 5 times, I do not increase the weight. I have read that some only do one max weight rep. as a way to make progress. I don't know. For me, I need to finish out the sets - like follow thru. Today, I put on my last known max 240 and got that up 3 times. I then changed the weight down 10 lbs for the last 2 sets, which I got up 5 and then 3 times. I"ll do that until I can lift 240 5 times.
I benched 180.

On Tues/Thurs I am more on cardio. I use the elliptical and set it to intervals. Run hard for 2 mins / coast for 2 mins. I have a more challenging plan, includes increasing resistance, but I am not ready yet.

I was told YEARS ago that you needed to try to lose weight first. Then someone said ,well muscle burns fat fast,so if you lift,then your muscles are burning more fat

Chicken - Egg, I knew I needed to start. I have modified my diet, following Gary Taubes. No added sugar. Avoid white --> carbs. Eat veggies for fibre and nutrients. Lunch today was 2 cups of spinach & a broccoli shred I buy at WinCo, for crunch. With a half chicken breast. Breakfast was 3 eggs & handful of mixed veggies (Normandy mix). Dinner is likely to be 4 strips of bacon.
Breakfast can have some carbs - just not sugar - so a Yam or Oatmeal, banana. But I don't eat that later than breakfast.

I find that caffeine seems to mess up my system - impacts my weight loss. So, I am limiting my coffee to 1 (16 oz) a day. That is me - not Taubes.

I had my T level checked. Doc says I came in the 'normal' range. I have all the symptoms they list in the TV commercials. Lifting is one way to increase T-levels.

I am weighing once/ month. Due on Feb 15th-ish. Other measures, I have a shirt which was a bit tight in early January, which fit better on Sunday when I wore it shooting.

If the weather holds - where I can walk in my office clothes - I"ll add back in a half hour over lunch. Getting away from the office helps with general stress level too. And I am able to listen to audio books.

Will this work? I don't know. But am working the plan. And the difference between practice and training is whether you record results and press for improvements - which I am.

@Monica Cowles

RE: Military Basic Training.

I just came across one of Mark Rippetoe's blog entries - he suggests that gym time be spent on building strength. They have to do things like Buddy carries and if you are strong when you start basic you'll do better. The endurance - runs and long marches - comes quickly.

Thank him for his service.

I've never understood the whole "maxing" out, one rep BS.

Seems like just doing a lot of damage for no benefit.

Hey, look how fast I can run 10ft!

These days I don't even know what my max is?
In High School when I was 165lbs I benched 285lbs.

Today I lift what I can control slowly. Both up and down with the weight. I want to affect my muscles to become stronger. Not to be seen throwing up huge weight!

Strong muscle equals less pain in my back and neck. That's the new goal.
Well. That and not hurting myself. :D

Today I'm 6'1'' and 195. Still a little thin. But way more healthy then three years ago.
And I feel like I got the balancing act down pretty well. ;)

I've never understood the whole "maxing" out, one rep BS.

Seems like just doing a lot of damage for no benefit.

Hey, look how fast I can run 10ft!

We did this once every 3 months in college to determine max strength ONLY to set the weight for specific reps, i.e. 10 reps at 60%, 8 reps at 70% etc. never just to make gains but maybe here and there to show off;).

It is actually very important information if you know how to use it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top