JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went to the gym yesterday for the first time in 3+ weeks. Longest I've gone in 3-4 years. Was tentative and took it slow, worked legs with super light weight 20 or so reps x 4 and my knee feels really good this AM. Happy to get back to it cause I really need it mentally. Especially with the gloomy weather and crazy work schedule. No more knee brace yippee.

Snap Fitness did it correct. A row of single bathrooms. 24/7 access but no showers or one person use shower. Problem solved. Any gym that still has multi-person bathroom and showers is just asking for a lawsuit. That is the clown world we live in now.

Last Edited:
I started doing serious weight training in 2016 and have stuck to it since. I've always been relatively fit, but I had no idea how weight training would totally transform my fitness and stamina. Lifting also helps with the seasonal depression and really helps with my work stress.

When I started, I was at it 6 days a week, plus hiking on the 7th day. I've relaxed that a bit and now do 4 - 5 days a week and, weather permitting, at least 1 day of what I'd call 'cardio hiking'.

Yesterday was chest focused and I *always* do core exercises on each gym day:

2000 meters on the concept2 for a warm-up

Super Set of Incline Fly and Incline Press
15 Reps
12 Reps
8 Reps
8 Reps (only for the press)

Force Set of Chest Press w/ Rotation
5 Reps
5 Reps
5 Reps
5 Reps
5 Reps

Progressive Set of Incline Press
15 Reps
12 Reps
8 Reps
<short rest>
8 Reps
12 Reps
15 Reps

Combo Set with Close-Grip Press to Fly
15 Reps
12 Reps
8 Reps

Decline Push-Up
15 Reps
15 Reps
15 Reps

Kettle Bell snatch 10x per side
Russian Twist
Weighted plank rotations, 10x per side

I got home after midnight so it still feels like exercise today even after a 5.5hr nap.

From 10am to 10pm, running in and out of the rain, taking cover from the heavy rain for indoor projects, time with the brush and limbs when not swinging the MS 171/391 chainsaw, lifting the front end of the riding mower to place on buckets to fix the belt, moving equipment inside, stacking brush piles by grabbing branches I cut from a fallen oak, and what-not. Leaving in an hour for the 1.3hr drive back down to the work site to do it all again.

(Using up old PTO to help family clean up property)

Every other day at home I do.. it takes about 1.5hrs or something
4x50 situps
4x40 pushups
4x15 pullups
4x20 burpees
4x12 curls
4x12 military presses
4x10 squats
Every other day I do machine leg and back work, "sprint"" on an eliptical where I get my heart to 175+ repeatedly and walk 3 miles.

One thing I'd say is I've had some injuries in my life where I became so sedentary because of the pain that I literally couldn't walk fifty feet to save my life.. let alone any sort of willful "exercise". Thankfully I was able to change that.
If there's any one thing I'd say to anyone is that walking, moving your body from one place to another, is the one exercise I'd recommend most as it is essentially what defines us as being able to experience life as a fully functional human being. If you can't walk I'd recommend swimming or whatever. Just do what you can do given your particular situation. I probably should walk more.

This week I'm bringing more cardio into my routine, namely the trifecta: treadmill, rowing, airbike. My plan is to start at a slow pace for maybe 20 minutes each session on my days off and ramp it up from there.

I've been researching good routines as it pertains to MMA, as I think this directly correlates to preparedness fitness.

Also, tomorrow is back day and I'm going to try to incorporate some new exercises.

Made somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 .45 rounds and the associated pulling in the press. Then I went to the range and burnt em up. Along with a few hundred 9mm and a couple dozen underwhelming .357s that I maybe should have labeled .38 special instead.

It's kind of like exercise 🤷‍♂️

Today was an intentional rest day after feeling like I nearly tore my forearm muscles on Friday. The preacher curls at 170# are what did me in, I think. I'm not so young as I think I am.

I'm alternating one day I'll do an hour of heavy yard work, yesterday was fire-wooding, sawing logs, rolling them around and stacking the rounds. The next is an hour of walking the dog on trails so some elevation and pace changes. Walking is recommend by my cardio therapist and the yard work needs to be done. Just trying to not hurt myself while healing and still getting stuff done.

Made somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 .45 rounds and the associated pulling in the press. Then I went to the range and burnt em up. Along with a few hundred 9mm and a couple dozen underwhelming .357s that I maybe should have labeled .38 special instead.

Today was an intentional rest day after feeling like I nearly tore my forearm muscles on Friday. The preacher curls at 170# are what did me in, I think. I'm not so young as I think I

Today was an intentional rest day after feeling like I nearly tore my forearm muscles on Friday. The preacher curls at 170# are what did me in, I think. I'm not so young as I think I am.
Wow, 170 lb preacher curls is some serious weight! o_O

How many sets/reps?

Wife and I walked up to the mailbox today. ~1/2 mile one way. Had a real hitch in my get along. Then later ... 12 oz curls for me. Damm...

I've been fighting a shoulder injury for 14 months now and finally got back into the actual gym today (plenty of PT and OT during the past year). It felt great and looking forward to hitting it again tomorrow. This was the longest an injury has kept me out of it in two decades.

I've been fighting a shoulder injury for 14 months now and finally got back into the actual gym today (plenty of PT and OT during the past year). It felt great and looking forward to hitting it again tomorrow. This was the longest an injury has kept me out of it in two decades.
Generally the reason I don't deadlift. Way too many things to go snap, crackle POP and I'm way too old to be acting that young. I'd like to reach my golden years with all my original joints and an intact spine

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top