JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
CED Chronographs are supposed to be good. As of a few years ago (still?) USPSA used CEDs for testing ammo at their matches as their unofficial semi-official chronograph, at least according to the Powerfactor guys on YouTube in an episode from about 5 years ago.

At club level I haven't seen it done.

At major matches YES!

We chronographed at Western states championship, golden gate championship, and the old oregon invititionals.

OK done dating myself.
LOL

Like many I have had an F1 chrony for years and it has been very serviceable. However not being able to use it at the public range is a major pita. I treated myself to an early Christmas present last year and bought a Magneto speed. It has been flawless so far and is a great tool for the serious reloader. When you think of the cost of some of your firearms and optics, the price of the Magneto speed is really not that bad. I never regret the purchase of a quality tool.

On the flip side, I found it helps me visualize my proximity to maximum safe pressures (along with primer and other witness) since the there is sometimes a considerable difference between loading manuals.
Also, I have found there may be more than one load, for a given powder, that produces best accuracy, for a specific set of components so for target shooting I'll pick the lightest load that achieves the accuracy goal which often saves me money in powder, easier shooting and less wear and tear I hope for the gun. Whereas for hunting @ an unknown range, I'll use the highest of the "best accuracy" that may help for possible long range.
I have a low cost RCBS which has been compared to no other so I do not know if it the readings are correct. They are however consistent so works as a tool for me but might not for you if you have to prove velocity.

The majority of my loads have worked well for me right out of the book. But being a naturally born coward, I do start below
published specs and ladder my way back up. My loads have been called "Conservative" by many. The main thing I have found misleading and potentially dangerous is the way some manufacturers will move a crimping groove around on the same weight bullet. A small difference in OAL can dramatically change chamber pressure.:eek:
It also beats the crap out of your brass. :(

At club level I haven't seen it done.

At major matches YES!

We chronographed at Western states championship, golden gate championship, and the old oregon invititionals.

OK done dating myself.
LOL

Our local club did at the Qualifier matches. But it's been awhile since I shot USPSA, don't know anymore.

If I build up a load for my USPSA guns and they don't chrono at the velocity required, then I will be disqualified and have to go home. For some major matches, this could mean a significant loss of money. In fact, the amount lost would equal about the cost of a chronograph. Therefore, I need a chronograph for sure (at least for my purposes) and would be willing to spend more if I get a significant boost in necessary features. But I haven't seen any reason yet to spend more than the $120 for a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master. Am I going to be disappointed with a low-end chrono?

Kind of like scopes. The $200-400 scopes that I've bought have ended up being low-quality unreliable crap. Since I can't yet afford quality glass, I'll just go without. But I need a chrono...

Don't "Competition Loads" have to fall within certain parameters to keep people from loading "Light"?:rolleyes:
I can only speak for USPSA, but loads absolutely have a floor. Minor loads (usually 9mm) must meet at least 125 power factor (weight times velocity, divided by 1000). A 115gr bullet, for example, must go 1087fps. Major loads (often 40S&W) must meet at least 165 power factor. A 180gr bullet, for example, must go 917fps. If the chrono at the match shows even a tick below those velocities, you are done...well, within some parameters, of course.

I have the Shooter Chrony Alpha Master. Stupid FN name. Used it to adjust shot strings on PCP air rifles and figure foot lbs of energy. Fps squared times mass divided by the constant 450240. Always liked math.:) It has served its purpose. No complaints.

When I killed my green F1 Shooting Chrony I ordered a Competition Electronics and the Digital Link Bluetooth adapter option for it. I'm really happy with this setup. It sends the strings to my phone or tablet, and I don't have to see the display on the chrony or write anything down. When I'm done shooting I email the reports to myself and run them into excel for my records on my desktop.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top