JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got into reloading for competition. With competition, loads have strict velocity rules. So I need a chrono, I think.

Please tell me your experiences with different brands and models. I'd sure prefer to spend, like, $100, but I'm also aware that spending more money might make a big difference.

Tell me what I don't know, based on your experience. Thanks!

Well I have a beta shooting chrony that does everything i need it to. This is my second one my buddy shot the first one with his 500 mag:p. He's a good friend though he bought me a new one and I didn't even ask.

I hate shooting over the chrony it's my least favorite part of handloading. I think it's necessary for improving loads and knowing how they are performing, I just don't care for doing it.

Lol, some of the "chronys" have in their warranty, that if you, or your buddy actually shoots the "chrony" that if you box all of the left over parts up and send them back to them, they will help you out. I'm not sure, but i think the folks that build these things get a kick out of "our don't shoot the chrony" stories.:D

Hell, I just use the "shooting chrony". Got it for like 90 bucks. Rifles, pistols, shotguns, I trust it. I called a few of the powder mfgrs about my results compared to their published data, they said run with your loads.;). I believe the internals are pretty much the same, what you get for more money is more features. My opinion only.:cool:

I have a Shooting Chrony, I think a Beta. My family bought it for me several years ago. I have been pleased with it with one small exception. It has only a few buttons to do many functions and it's not very intuitive to use. I keep it in the cardboard box it came in and keep the instructions with it. I don't use it much anymore, maybe once a year, so I need to read the instructions every time. When I used it more frequently it wasn't such an issue. But still, it could be easier.
It's a great thing to have if you're even semi serious about reloading.

My first was a Chrony F (about 1980) still working fine.
Shoot, write down the speed, shoot, etc. (no memory)
Go home, calculate
(like the F-1)

Bought a CED M2 last year.
shoot, shoot, ... shoot, shoot
up to 999 times, results stored in unit memory
Internal programs calculate spread, etc by pushing a button

Difference between the two (feet-per-second wise) too close to call.

Competition Electronics!
Hands down the best, been using them since 91.

Best warranty also .....
Don't ask how I know. LOL
Just never chronograph a 22 Derringer from 15 feet back.

They fixed it for free!

Lol, some of the "chronys" have in their warranty, that if you, or your buddy actually shoots the "chrony" that if you box all of the left over parts up and send them back to them, they will help you out. I'm not sure, but i think the folks that build these things get a kick out of "our don't shoot the chrony" stories.:D
Yes and they were very good about that. I ended up having an extra remote and some spare parts because he bought me the new one. I sent the shot box in and they only charged for that part so I gave it to my friend and now he can shoot his own:D.

CED Chronographs are supposed to be good. As of a few years ago (still?) USPSA used CEDs for testing ammo at their matches as their unofficial semi-official chronograph, at least according to the Powerfactor guys on YouTube in an episode from about 5 years ago.

The Magnetospeed looks cool, but not $300 cool. One thing great about that thing is the ability to use it no matter the shooting location. A traditional chrono needs all sorts of stuff, like space to set it up, sunlight, table/tripod, etc. None of that for the Magneto.

Chrony has all these monikers like Alpha, Beta, and Master. It's a little tough to figure out the differences.

I will say this, if I have a goal of a particular velocity, based on my bullet weight, I really don't need memory or printing or internal calculations. If I need above 1150, for example, all I have to do keep an eye for rounds that go under and rounds that go too far over.

Hey, what do you know, I just went to the Shooting Chrony website and they say, clear as day, that the Master models have the 18-ft cord to bring the screen to your shooting position...cool.

Between Alpha and Beta is basically memory functions--bigger memory in Beta that is more interactive.

Whooda thunk to look at their website?:rolleyes:

I have a Caldwell.

Why?

Because I plug my phone in and set up different loads for saved groups. It tells me my max, minimum, average and standard deviation for my shots. I also can export the data to an Excel spreadsheet to keep track.

IMG_1910.PNG IMG_1911.jpg

The below data was directly imported. This should give you an idea of how little work I did. I changed colors to give a visual reference only. Notice the automatic Power Factor reading?

IMG_1912.jpg

Shooting Chrony Beta. For $100 it works, but if I needed another, I'd look for a different brand.
As long as I have enough light, it works well. On heavy, overcast days, I don't bother because I keep getting ERR1 or ERR2, meaning it didn't see the bullet pass the sensor. There was a group of overcast days where I got weird data - loads that should be reading ~3,000 fps are reading 1350, etc.. Like Thought I was reading metric at first -- like @orygun wrote, the menu buttons are non-intuitive to the point of being useless. I keep the manual no my phone as a pdf.
The light diffusers they sell with it are kinda hokey, first few times I would set mine up it would fall apart with the muzzle blast of my Lapua Magnum. Fixed that : since it doesn't look like it will withstand rain very well, I built a hat for mine, which also substitutes as a light diffuser. Now I just look stupid when I set it up at the range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top