JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired a 25-284 in a Sako L57 rifle.

Obviously not original, neither the barrel or the stock.

Looking for thoughts on the caliber for those who've used it.

Have got all the dies to make it and convert 284 brass, along with some loaded rounds and extra brass.

Most likely will rebarrel to 6mm Remington, as I got it mostly for this reason...to convert to 6mm.

Sako1.jpg

Sako2.jpg

A friend acquired a rifle I'm trying to get from him. He doesn't reload and can't shoot it.
It, too, is a Sako. 6x284. I am just chomping at the bit to play with that one!

Already been in touch with @Velzey about a rebarrel and checkering.

Interesting cartridge...research shows it's been called a short 25-06. Ive already got a 25-06 and a 257 Roberts...I guess another quarter bore isn't a bad thing eh @orygun ? :D

I'll shoot it first...might like it.

25-284.jpg

Considering the cost of a new barrel and labor cost.
I would keep this as is and keep looking for a 6mm.
Any idea who built it?
Nice looking rifle.

dont have one, but in quarterbore circles its very popular. If I understand right its ballistically similar to the 25-06AI. You should get some really good velocity out of it with handloads.

If it's 6.5 x 284, Norma standardized it. (Whether or not your barrel is of those dimensions, yet to be determined.)

Either way. Turning this rifle into a 6mm would be a step backward in my opinion. (Gathering that you're not afraid of loading for wildcats.)

Clarification at hand: barrel stampings show this barrel was previously a .250-3000 (taken off of ???), so most likely still .257 diameter bore.

That doesn't explain the dies.

If it's 6.5 x 284, Norma standardized it. (Whether or not your barrel is of those dimensions, yet to be determined.)

Either way. Turning this rifle into a 6mm would be a step backward in my opinion. (Gathering that you're not afraid of loading for wildcats.)
Since the L57 models originally came in 244, doing a swap shouldn't be hard.. just been wanting a 6mm, so I got it more for the action.

But like I said above...I might like it as is

Bingo. perfect sense. Excellent cartridge, the .25-284, though missing from my quarter-bore stable.
I misquoted the 6.5 thing...the die is used as a step in making the brass.

Been doing a lot of reading since I got it...there's been a mix of info on the 6.5-284 and the 25-284 and the mix of dies used to make the proper brass

I wonder if that rifle of mine you dropped off with @Velzey might be
a 6-284.
Now I have a 25-284 and a 6-284 rabbit hole to go down.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top