JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about loading up some quiet 38spl loads with cast bullets (not round ball). These would be for short range plinking fun in my old model 10 revolver 4"-ish barrel. I have a pretty good selection of pistol powders to choose from.

Cat sneeze ... LOL What a great description for a tiny load. I will remember this one. Always referred to them as bunny fart loads. Anymore you just cannot say bunny fart around everyone :s0114: Thanks for the laugh. Sorry, however, I don't relaod 38spl. Got the stuff just don't shoot them enough. Cat sneeze hahahaha ...

The SASS folks shoot this type of load in competition most of the time. The bullets are typically around 110 to 125 grns cast bullets at around 700 to 800 fps.
I used less than 3 grns of universal clays for my load. Very soft shooting...great fun.
Enjoy

Last Edited:
That trail boss is hard to come by these days. I am thinking about a 158gr bullet pushed out by 2 grains of Unique.

i haven't used unique myself.A little
Hp38 or universal seemed to be fairly light as well. Not as soft as the trail boss but still a light load.

some of my slower 38 loads have turned out to be pretty accurate out of my sp101 4inch.

Did the cat fart, or did the bunny sneeze?

Lyman cast bullet handbook for 38s&w
105 grain hardcast swc,
2.7 grains of 231, or 2.0 grains of bullseye no ear plugs required, (still reccomended of course)

16129645944067437608655586910295.jpg

Ramshot competition ( a shotgun powder, but meters a heck of a lot better than most) works really well for soft target loads, very similar feel to Trailboss which is pure unobtanium, right now.

125gr pill over a few grains of trailboss.

Back when .22lr was still expensive and reloading components were plentiful, I could load these for about $.07/round. It was cheaper to shoot than .22lr, so I shot thousands of them.

158 grain cast with 2.4 grains of Bullseye. Great accuracy as well.

I am thinking about a 158gr bullet pushed out by 2 grains of Unique.
This is a squib in the making.

Unique is not 'fast' enough for this low of a load and becomes very unstable below about 4 grains and does not ignite or burn well.

Try one for a test (and I would consider a 125 grain bullet) but I would have a brass rod & hammer nearby!

Last Edited:
This is a squib in the making.

Unique is not 'fast' enough for this low of a load and becomes very unstable below about 4 grains and does not ignite or burn well.

Try one for a test (and I would consider a 125 grain bullet) but I would have a brass rod & hammer nearby!

To ad to that ,I used unique in the beginning, Dec'2011, for loads in .38sp and ,45 acp. It seemed to be very dirty. Uniquely dirty I'd say!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top