JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've done some casual looking at the Albany gun show and several shops in the Salem and Corvallis areas. The prices don't always seem to relate to anything in particular.

Is there a good place to get an idea of a fair price for different handguns on the Willamette Valley market?

Right off the top does anyone know what would be a fair price for Ruger MK512, S&W 617 or similar model, and something like the S&W 640?

I first need a reference as to can be fairly qualified as "high". Any spending is painful right now.

First question is whether local stores are setting the price high to allow some haggling. If so, just comparing prices between shops would leave me blind to that and maybe end up damaging my budget more than I need to.

Yeah, I do check out prices listed here. Takes some time to find the threads that talk prices, but it is faster and cheaper than wandering from store to store.

I'm well aware that most firearms sell for up to hundreds below MSRP. One shop that used to have a huge clientele in San Leandro, California--Traders--used to list their firearms at standard street rates with tags that would make you think they were "fire sale" prices. By the way, they lost their FFL on unrelated issues. I knew what the prices were in that area, but that is a different culture.

Another thought--is there a standard margin on new firearms that dealers will be looking for? Scratch that. Doesn't help unless I know the dealers' cost.

I took a look at Gunbroker. I see the same prices listed at a local shop. Standard pricing or just looking at postings by that gun shop? Have to go back and check the posting.

On GB you can do an adanced search for the item you are interested in that will list ones that actually sold. Asking prices don't mean much. There is a pistol here posted for $1500 that can be purchased new for under $900. Just sayin' Ken

You can check Lipseys firearms finder

Lipsey's Firearms Finder - Smith and Wesson - M&P Series -

for a price through one of their dealers in your area. The price is usually about 20% below MSRP, though varies with make & model. No guarantees, but, along with gunbroker, ought give a reasonable approximation. Then you gotta negotiate.

If money is your concern, why look to buy new ? I would think the sold prices on gunbroker would give you base price range for negotiating with local gun/pawn shop on used gun.

Good luck.

Ideas:
- manufacturer's MSRP (mentioned)
- Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com (mentioned)
- Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop
- Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

Full disclosure. I have never purchased anything from any of the mentioned websites. Prices may seem or be lower on those websites, but you'll need to factor in these additional considerations:
- you'll have to arrange and pay a separate fee for the transfer to a FFL near you
- many seem to want an additional 3% if you're paying by credit card
- you may have to pay shipping costs
- they may not accept a return (e.g. Cheaper Than Dirt)

You might be able to negotiate price with a local shop.

Peter

I took one of the guns you listed, the Ruger MK512 and did a Google search and here are some results I could find.
GunsAmerica - Price $275 + $25 shipping from CT Gun condition = Used,As New
Ozark Guns - Sale price $289 MSRP $349 **NOTE - Reference Only - Mark II is no longer available**
Calguns - WTS:SOLD Ruger MK512 Mark II, $225 Roseville/Sacramento

So with a quick google search I found out possible prices for a Ruger MK512. $349 MSRP to $289 new on sale (if they had one left on the shelf) to $275 + $25 for used/as new and one listed for $225 that is now SOLD.

Hope that helps. Actually finding a gun for sale I have to leave up to you. If I were to start looking I would end up buying one.
Good luck,
Mike

Different regions of the country have different values on some guns. I'd look at local classifieds (like here or outdoor trader). You'll find extremes, the good deals will be gone fast, the ones that are up a week or more are over market value, otherwise, it would have sold.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top