JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I purchased a Desert Eagle 1911U and it is a sweet gun. I know you want a full size and they do make them but not familiar with them. If there trigger is anything like the one I purchased it is well worth the price. The trigger on the 1911U is better than the Kimbers I looked at.

I just bought this one today at a local shop in Vancouver:

I like the old ones way more than the new ones. They're not making any more 1945 Colt 1911A1's. And that makes them special.

Thirtycal

left_zpsa37ef7a6.jpg right_zpsf8d99b84.jpg logo_zps64321cba.jpg

Out of curiosity, why don't you like Ruger?

They put the nanny-state BS on many of their newer guns with no option to order without. Magazine safeties, loaded chamber indicators, internal locks, manual safeties, etc... Although to be fair, the SR1911 has none of that silliness.

Last Edited:
They put the nanny-state BS on many of their newer guns with no option to order without. Magazine safeties, loaded chamber indicators, manual safeties, etc... Although to be fair, the SR1911 has none of that silliness.

Hahaha, it's not kommifornia compliant. Good for them!

They put the nanny-state BS on many of their newer guns with no option to order without. Magazine safeties, loaded chamber indicators, manual safeties, etc... Although to be fair, the SR1911 has none of that silliness.

Yeah, I noticed a lot of those "nanny-state BS" features on their LCP.

Yeah, I noticed a lot of those "nanny-state BS" features on their LCP.

And the SR9/40/45, the LC9, the LC380, the SR22, the Mk3, the 22/45....

I'm currently smitten with S&W, you can order their M&P series with or without all that stuff (with the exception of the Shield and the Bodyguard 380, which both have manual safeties).

I don't know if "traditional" looks knock adjustable sights off the table, but at that price point I'd also consider the Springfield RO (Range Officer). By all accounts I've heard, it's an exceptional shooter at a bargain price.

I am a 1911 guy. Been shooting them for MANY years.

I have observed quite a few folks show up at the range (where I am a Range Safety Officer) with shiny, new, out-of-the-box .45 ACP 1911 handguns. Most of them perform the function they were designed for. The one 1911 that seems to be the most problematic, requiring repeated returns to the factory to get them to run, are the Springfield 1911's. I'm not sure what the problem is at Springfield, but their pistols have a nasty trigger, rough actions and seem to require a lot of work before they feed and eject properly.

Before you buy, check out the available guns in your price range. Look at the craftsmanship and care put into the handguns. Work the slide- it should feel like oiled glass. Don't compromise to save a couple of bucks. Just my opinion, but I believe you will be a lot happier in the long run if you try out a few before you buy.

Oh, by the way...

Everyone has an opinion on how YOU should spend YOUR money.

I have two 1911's that share duty as my EDC. One is a Remington R1 Talo edition. Had trouble with FTF out of the box. There was a problem with the firing pin safety. That was remedied by the LGS. Now it is a great shooting gun. Eats any ammo I feed it, never another FTF. My other gun is a Rock Island Armory Match Grade 1911. It has been flawless out of the box.

I would get a Dan Wesson. New or even better used in like new condition. It's twice what you want to spend. But there are no MIM parts. And fit and finish is very good. Especially the slide fit, as compared to others.
I'm not a gun snob. And a $700 1911 may be the gun for you. But a $1200-$1400 1911 will make your heart flutter. And will be a lot more gun. Twice the gun? That's up to you.
The 1911 market is flooded with cheep guns. Resale could be a problem in the future. But maybe you never sell your guns?
And don't make the mistake of spending a bunch of money upgrading. When you could have just bought a nicer gun, with parts fitted buy a pro.
Look at the guns apples to apples and compare the parts. Then the Dan Wesson won't look so expensive.

I just bought this one today at a local shop in Vancouver:

I like the old ones way more than the new ones. They're not making any more 1945 Colt 1911A1's. And that makes them special.

Thirtycal

I actually have a very nice Colt 1903 in .32ACP. The way it feels in your hand is one of the main reasons I want a 1911. I'd love to give it a Colt 1911 as a big brother, but doubt I'll ever find one for a price I want to pay. Right now, the Ruger is looking like the most likely candidate.

I've owned several 1911s and from the 3 listed, Ruger would be my choice. The sights are very good 3 dot and I would only replace them if wanting a set of night sights. The trigger's decent, and got a lot better with some shooting. Fit and finish much better than any other 1911 in their price range, with the possible exception of the Remington R1. As mentioned before, the Ruger does not have a firing pin safety and is true to the original 1911 design.
Since purchased, the gun has not malfunctioned in any way, shape or form, not even once.
There are only two things I don't like about the Ruger, but are fairly insignificant. First, I wish the small bits (slide stop, safety lever) were not black on these stainless guns. Second, the hammer is grooved down the middle, parted, if you will. These are both personal aesthetic issues, absolutely don't affect the way it functions and probably don't bother anyone else.
I, too, dealt with Ruger's Customer service many moons ago on a gun I bought second hand and you can not ask for better service from any company. (S&W matches them, also)
I carry a Dan Wesson. I love the beJeezus out of that gun, but you'll be hard pressed to find one for less than $12-1300.

Unless the rail turns you off, this would be something to seriously consider.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/custom-colt-1911.171669/

However, this is a Series 80 pistol and I'd be buying the pieces to remove the firing pin safety, but that's just me.

Damn......that's a steal!!! I bet it's got a National Match barrel too.

I have one but it's in stainless that I thought I stole for $1000.00 Like the one listed it has some quality aftermarket parts.

I like the Ruger and have one, it does not have a fully ramped or for that matter even a
"match" barrel. But it shoots well or makes it look like I can hit a target. The backstrap has checkering, but the front is smooth. I have used the Ruger, Mec-Gar, and CMC mags with no problems

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top