JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I've had 1911 fever now for a few months. Selection criteria are, priced in the $700 range, 100% steel, traditional looks, standard 5" barrel length, .45 ACP, and stainless steel is a plus, but not mandatory. I've narrowed the choices down to 3 pistols:

1. Ruger 6700 1911
2. Remington R1 1911
3. Springfield Armory Milspec 1911

Is there anything about these three pistols I should know? Is there some other model/brand that fits my criteria? What are the pros and cons of each?

Last Edited:
get one with a long beavertail on the backstrap. the old short,military ones bite your hand between the beavertail and the hammer!!!… and tritium night sights are a bonus.

Ok, I've had 1911 fever now for a few months. Selection criteria are, priced in the $700 range, 100% steel, traditional looks, standard 5" barrel length, .45 ACP, and stainless steel is a plus, but not mandatory. I've narrowed the choices down to 3 pistols:

1. Ruger 6700 1911
2. Remington R1 1911
3. Springfield Armory Milspec 1911

Is there anything about these three pistols I should know? Is there some other model/brand that fits my criteria? What are the pros and cons of each?

From what research I did, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the listed above. I was able to get a Remington R1 Enhanced on sale for just over 700 bucks and am very happy with it. I'd recommend them to others.

Is the windage adjustable sight on the Ruger valuable enough to make it a front runner? Or will I want to replace the rear sights on all of them anyway?

1911's are the lego's of handguns. You can upgrade them when money comes available. That said, the most expensive "upgrade" is the barrel so get one with a match grade barrel. The accuracy comes from the barrel and link combo. The mim parts can be replaced later

All three of those are great guns for that price range.The Ruger has the beavertail aforementioned while the others don't.With my big hands,the beavertail is a necessity for me. It can be fit later if you think you need it though

You can't go wrong with any of the choices you listed Zig. As parallax pointed out the beavertail is important for the reason he mentioned, especially if, like me you have big hands. However, if it were me I'd go with the Ruger just because I'm partial to stainless.

The only one in this pic that isn't stainless isn't mine (or the wife's). Besides it's a Kimber.
20140127_140931_zps703809ce.jpg
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
The one in the lower middle (Colt series 70) is the wife's. If one looks close it illustrates the potential for hammer bite and the reason it is hers.

The above pic also illustrates these damned 1911's seem to multiply. So be careful.

A friend has a stock out of the box Ruger SR 1911 and that thing shot groups for me that were amazing. Don't know if it was the sights or what but it ran better than any of the pistols I own.

Could be he got one in a thousand made that well, but that one was very impressive.

I have the SR1911 and love it. I sold my Taurus 1911 the week after I received the Ruger as I knew it was going to be a shelf queen after the Ruger showed up. I have never shot a super high end 1911, but I was able to shoot the Remington R1 (not the enhanced) side by side with mine and came away happy with my purchase. The Remington was very nice but both of our groups were tighter with the Ruger using the same ammo.

I had the front sight blow off a couple of weeks ago while midway through a magazine. It was there - then gone. Ruger had the gun back in my hands in just under a week. No hassles, no receipt required, no trying to place the blame on me. They paid shipping both ways, and the gun was fixed by them overnight. They received the gun on Monday and shipped on Tuesday. I guess the earlier guns had a MIM sight that could shear off. The newer ones (since some time last year) have an upgraded sight so not an issue anymore. Ruger service impressed the hell out of me.

Go with the one that makes you smile. I don't think there is a dud in the group.

The obvious question that everyone has missed is what are you going to use it for? If for carry, then things like sights, trigger, rounded edges and beveled mag well are important. If it will be a range gun then all features and brands are game depending on what you can afford and as noted, you can always upgrade as you go.

These are all good brands so at this point the best thing to do might be, if you haven't already, find someplace that has these pistols and hold them in your hand and get the feeling of the particular piece. I would bet that one of these is going to feel better in your hand than the others and that is the one you should purchase as your first 1911.

If you really have the bug, this won't be your last 1911 anyway so you can buy your first and decide what you like and don't like before you buy your second.

Good luck.

The Ruger is the best bang for your buck out of the box pistol IMO.
I have a CMD that I have been shooting USPSA and steel challenge matches with. I lost count of how many thousands of rounds are through it.
Sometime next year I will get a 5" Ruger.

I've Ransom rested many 1911's, unless they are seriously worn I'm hard pressed to reccomend any maker. The accuracy differences aren't that great unless you plan on using it for serious competition. At 25' they range from pancake sized groups to half dollar sized groups. Personally I'm not a fan of investment cast guns or MIM parts, other than that it all depends on budget, 400 bucks seems to be about bottom and I've seen 5000 dollar guns (or more) at the top end.

they best tip I can give you is to buy it the way you want it, don't try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I see it here all the time, guys will plow 500 into a 400 dollar gun and wind up with a gun (if it still works right) worth, to me, 500.

As coupeowner stated,my remington wasn't accurate out very far and I like to stretch my handguns out a little.
But JSJPDX,I haven't held a 1911 that felt particularly 'bad' in my hands. Heck even the cheaper ones feel nice.

As coupeowner stated,my remington wasn't accurate out very far and I like to stretch my handguns out a little.
But JSJPDX,I haven't held a 1911 that felt particularly 'bad' in my hands. Heck even the cheaper ones feel nice.

Agree with you, as a 1911 guy they all feel good. Where I was going is that not all 1911s are exactly the same out of the box. Whether it's the size, shape, checkering of the backstrap; the shape of the sights; the size and shape of the grip safety; the finish of the gun; grips; trigger length; etc. they all have just a little bit different feel. With the OP's stated preferences they should all feel good but I suspect one will feel "more good" than the others, if not, it's a crapshoot and matter of preference.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top