JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First there were Doomsday Preppers, Prepper Bunkers, and Armageddon A-holes, (Okay, I made that last one up), television shows that focused mostly on nut jobs to drive ratings. But I've been surprised at where else the subject shows up. Editorial sections of local newspapers, unprompted conversations with co-workers, and most recently this:

The Cheat Code to Life | Underwire | Wired.com

Wired magazine's latest edition features this prominently displayed article on prepping cheats. Has prepping gone mainstream? Are more people really taking steps to prepare for their future? Or do the masses still ignore tomorrow and focus on the Kerdashians?

Those with eyes to see and money to spend will do some limited prepping but as soon as they reach a comfort level that is near normal they will slack off.
The rest are not going to prep and a sizeable number will plan on looting.
Revealing your preps will still make you a target, of looters and the Feds
I think the total percentage of prepped PPL nation wide is quite low

Wait for it! Coming Aug 13th, Doomsday Castle! On good old NatGeo! They have everything, a catapult, surly big chested ladies, bows & arrows and everything! WOW! Former infantry officer preparing for a medieval collapse following an EMP attack!

When I was growing up in the 90s, my dad watched DIY shows showing you how to do various woodworking, car fixing things. Why is there not ONE practical survival show? Are you telling me that one simply for education, without manufactured drama (hell you don't even need to stay the scenario you're preparing for, as a lot of information will be universal).

Wait for it! Coming Aug 13th, Doomsday Castle! On good old NatGeo! They have everything, a catapult, surly big cheated ladies, bows & arrows and everything! WOW! Former infantry officer preparing for a i might even learn something useful!medieval collapse following an EMP attack!
a nice way to spend a bunch of money and have your 15 minutes of fame. Castles are easy to defeat, especially these days. Plus they have more walls o defend than shooters unless they are bringing in their cousins. It will be entertaining, no doubt. Think they are truly building it orNaGeo funding it for ratings?
Brutus out

a nice way to spend a bunch of money and have your 15 minutes of fame. Castles are easy to defeat, especially these days. Plus they have more walls o defend than shooters unless they are bringing in their cousins. It will be entertaining, no doubt. Think they are truly building it orNaGeo funding it for ratings?
Brutus out

This thing should be hilarious! Since this family are the "stars" of the show I would guess that NatGeo will, at least, be paying them union wages. I'll bet theys got lots o cuzins!

Wait for it! Coming Aug 13th, Doomsday Castle! On good old NatGeo! They have everything, a catapult, surly big cheated ladies, bows & arrows and everything! WOW! Former infantry officer preparing for a medieval collapse following an EMP attack!

Sigh. Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?

No, it has not gone mainstream. Yuppies that "prep" see a TV show, go to Wal Mart and buy a pre-packaged 3 day emergency food supply and Glock that they have no clue how to use. They then brag to the other people in their hellhole of a subdivision about "being ready" because they spent 2 hours and $1,000. They usually have no water supply(if they do, it went bad 8 months ago and they have been too busy at the mall to refill them) and no way to purify water. They think they will be a part of some sort of "A-team" of survivors that band together for the greater good, when in actuality, anyone they "team up" with will kill them in their sleep and then rape and eat their wives and children. These people will be the ones with hair styling gel in their bug out bags.

The only way to do it is to have supplies. A lot of food and water and a way to get more water(and eventually more food). A good place to hide is good too, since no matter what people want to believe in their fantasy, hungry and desperate people will kill you for a can of Alpo.

Part of my readiness was moving to one of the most desolate regions in the Continental US. I can close up shop and live in my home for over 2 years without even opening the front door. If I went outside once every 6 months or so to shoot an elk or deer, I can right now push that to over 4 years.

No matter what a men's entertainment mag tells you, being ready on a serious scale takes a lot of money, work and dedication. Too many people inflate what they have to sound better prepared or pretend that since they bought a gun, went hunting with dad when they were 12 and have a friend that is an avid shooter, that they magically have the knowledge and experience.

Right now it is entertaining to see so many folks think they are covered when they have about 5-10% of what they need. When needed, it will no longer be funny, but very sad when their families are dying.

Stop worrying about armor piercing incendiary rounds for your Hi-Point if you don't have even a weeks supply of water. The cart has been placed WAY before the horse it seems.

Well, that's part of the appeal - for me anyway. Seriously though this stuff belongs somewhere else as opposed to Nat Geo - like maybe the comedy channel? I guess 'real' Nat Geo stuff isn't interesting enough anymore.

I know, me too! Watching some hog farmers on "Doomsday Preppers" isn't much fun when you can't tell the farmers from the product and the pigs seem smarter! It does suck that it was NatGeo that that decided to produce these comedy shows.

You mean I shouldn't be packing hair gel? Darn! We all do our best! No ire!

I know, me too! Watching some hog farmers on "Doomsday Preppers" isn't much fun when you can't tell the farmers from the product and the pigs seem smarter! It does suck that it was NatGeo that that decided to produce these comedy shows.

You mean I shouldn't be packing hair gel? Darn! We all do our best! No ire!

What really sucks is that pretty much every cable channel that used to have documentaries and things with a little educational value scrapped them in favor of reality tv. Look at NatGeo and the History Channel.

.If I went outside once every 6 months or so to shoot an elk or deer, I can right now push that to over 4 years..
If it gets half bad, there's not going to be so much as a sparrow to shoot inside of two weeks. The Great Depression saw most all game shot and disappeared in short order.
These days everybody's all geared up with a million rounds and a hard on to kill something to eat.
Good luck with that fantasy.

"Prepping" is now a packaged product, you can pick up your instant prepper kit right off the shelf at your local walmart, costco, or the internet. You can watch the TV show on cable, and follow along with your very own Doomsday Preppers Home Game!

Personally I'm just waiting for them to start selling "prepper" supplies at Hot Topic, at that point the cycle will be complete. I know they're already selling zombie stuff emblazened with shotguns, shovels and blood stains there (and zombies got old 2 years ago).

What was that episode of south park... where everyone becomes "metrosexual" because it's popular, and at the end they need to bring back the cholo fad?

Art imitates life, life becomes a bad sarcastic parity of art.

No, it has not gone mainstream.
I agree. I believe that the majority sees Preppers as an antisocial group that embraces failure of the system, with little hope (or faith) it could be made better. It also does not help when Nat Geo uses the real 'winners' they find to represent the 'preppers' on their shows.

I thought prepping was just smart living? Back in the olden days my mother canned and laid up TP in the hall closet 'just in case'. No BS about the world ending or the Reds trying to take over. It was just simple preparation for times that might be lean. My great uncle and his wife lived off stuff she canned for nearly a year after he was injured(broken back) and couldn't work.

Is it really a fad or just people coming back to the realisation that no one is going to help you but your own damned self?

And hair gel makes a great fire starter due to the high alcohol content.

If it gets half bad, there's not going to be so much as a sparrow to shoot inside of two weeks. The Great Depression saw most all game shot and disappeared in short order.
These days everybody's all geared up with a million rounds and a hard on to kill something to eat.
Good luck with that fantasy.

Cats and rats baby!!!

All I had to see was the trailer; I believe this castle was 1st shown in Dooms Day Preppers. It's got a new "Family" and I seem to have glimpsed a bit more cinderblock. Like all these shows it's BS.
Next will be Trailer Park Preppers

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads