JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I came back from a trip to California the end of August. I had gone up into the Sierras fishing with my 32 year old former Marine son. Water levels were low where we historically fish and we had to trek up and down a steep bank maybe ~100 yards to the river and back up to camp. Elevation is ~5,000 feet, and I was huffing and puffing by the time I got to the top. Long and short of it, I stepped onto the bathroom scales and found I was near 200 lbs. For my 5'11" frame, that is just too heavy. I also estimated myself to be at about 20% body fat....I'm 63 and brew my own beer, so go figure!!

I started a Paleo "Primal" diet and exercise program September 1st and this morning, I weighed in at 179 lbs. So with just 45 minutes of casual walking, not a run, jog, or even speed walk, and cutting out the daily beer, grains, cereals, sodas, sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, candy, ice cream, milk, most cheese, and focusing on eating more vegetables, salads and plenty of meat, fish, poultry and eggs (preferably pastured and grass fed). So far, it is great!!

Check it out online and you may find that what you've been told about a low fat, high fiber diet may be the wrong thing. I did.....

I am 56 and really need to drop some. Went to church yesterday and heard Scott Grigsby give his life story. he is a double amputee (legs) and has set several world records including the 1st DA to finish the Ironman in Hawaii. We also spent a few hours with Scott after the service as we took him to lunch and drove him to Sea Tac. Very neat gentleman with a powerful life story.
So my two back surgeries, bad hip are no longer an excuse for me.

If I drop 40 pounds (my intermediate goal) then my BOB is nothing to pack.
I told my wife about the paleo so here we go.

Brutus Out

two thumbs up on going Paleo!! Don't forget those 45 minute leisurely strolls in the morning and after dinner. Do some strength training along the way. Lots of vegetables gives you all the carbohydrates you need, nut and fruit breads are delicious and for deserts add fresh fruit.

My favorite:

1/4 cup fine crushed or chopped walnuts
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Mix dry ingredients with a fork.

Melt two Tbs. of Kerry Gold grass fed butter
Stir in two Tbs. of 100% unfiltered natural honey and add to the nut mixture. Mix thoroughly with a fork.

Fill a custard dish 1/3 full with fresh fruit or fresh berry compote in and top with the nut mixture. Sweetened with Stevia, not sugar.
Bake in a pre heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
Remove and allow to cool.
Serve warm.

also paleo. once i looked into the actual science around fat and cholesterol there was no turning back. for those of you who dont know, cholesterol is part of our bodies defense system. what causes all the circulatory problems is that cholesterol attacks poisons in the blood, notably too-high levels of sugar. so when you carb load the cholesterol tries to save you by wrestling all that sugar to the ground and out of the blood stream. that locked up sugar/cholesterol debris is called plaque. so I guess if you love carbs go ahead and cut out the cholesterol but keep in mind your brain needs cholesterol to maintain the nerve sheaths and stuff like that. that's a pretty rough sketch.

my blood sugar is way way more leveled out. something id like to brainstorm with you guys is paleo storage foods.

I'm sure you paleos out there know what I mean, but once you remove all the 60# of grains, the pantry gets to looking uncomfortably sparse.

nuts store all right, but I'm leery of nut flour shelf life. . . I'm watching it closely. almond everything gets old eventually.

onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and stuff like that stores ok.

canned vegetables/fruit.

the coconut flour seems real stable but once transpacific shipping gets scarce it's irreplaceable.

so long as there is electricity to the freezer the meat is ok.

Salad, the veggies, chicken, eggs, milk - that's all better in the ground/on the hoof.

I'm starting to think a root cellar, salad garden, and animals are the only way to do this affordable and long term.

I went on paleo for a montrh before my mag got sick.i went from 385 down to 353 in a month. I was hungery sometimes but if you stay busy it passes. MEat and greens for dinner, bacon and eggs for breakfast and maybe nuts and fruit between those meals.

Look into fasting as well. I'm on a fast right now and in the past have lost 10 + lbs each time. Another feature is dumping toxins, which may save your life

I am going to start fasting starting at 1 day a week for 1 day but may go to more.

When you hit 5 days your guts have cleared out most junk and then your organs start to clean house.. you can eat raw fruits and veggies and juices during the fast, just avoid oils and fats

I use a ..what do they call it, a blackout sheet, over my windows. and a large box fan. Seem to work very well. I have a very hard time sleeping without the fan anymore. I seem to sit and simply listen if the fan is not running.

I'm not sure I went Paleo but the wife and I cut out all processed foods, all hydrogenated oils, and 98% of our sugar intake. I've lost 16 pounds in less than 6 weeks. Once every 2 weeks we have a day where we can eat pizza and donuts or whatever. We don't measure calories at all. If we're hungry we just eat as long as it follows the previous rules. Also started doing some calisthenics and walking a few times a week. Trying hard to get in shape for the possible future ugliness.

I'm not sure I went Paleo but the wife and I cut out all processed foods, all hydrogenated oils, and 98% of our sugar intake. I've lost 16 pounds in less than 6 weeks. Once every 2 weeks we have a day where we can eat pizza and donuts or whatever. We don't measure calories at all. If we're hungry we just eat as long as it follows the previous rules. Also started doing some calisthenics and walking a few times a week. Trying hard to get in shape for the possible future ugliness.

don a 20# ruck on your walks then add weight as your strength / endurance increases. BTW you would be walking for at least 30 min.... and yes, ugly unpleasantness is good to prepare for as it always visits and always will

don a 20# ruck on your walks then add weight as your strength / endurance increases. BTW you would be walking for at least 30 min.... and yes, ugly unpleasantness is good to prepare for as it always visits and always will

I'm not quite ready to haul a pack around yet. I am progressing my workouts very slowly as I have many injuries to work around and not exacerbate. Plantar Fibromitosis in both the arches in my feet, one knee with multiple issues, chronic lower back issues, and a weak wrist from a ligament tear that will never heal. Totally sucks to be just under 40 and be this screwed up. The doctor doesn't know why I seem to be so injury prone. Maybe genetics or maybe some real bad stuff I went through in my teens and early 20's. Back in high school I wanted to try for Green Beret's but family issues blew up and life went on hold for a decade. I started in January around 225, when I get under 200 I'd like to try some jogging. I was quite the runner back in the day, under a 5 minute mile and just over 17 minutes for a 5K my sophomore year, before things blew up. I'd love to get back into it but I maybe too injured to do it safely. At least some interval training would be nice, I'll have to see how the knee feels about it though.......

Just to add, another essential aspect to the Paleo diet is SLEEP.

Minor noises and lights subconsciously interrupt sleep. Recommend masking off any light in the bedroom and using silicone earplugs.

Amazon.com: Macks Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs Value Pack, 6-Count (Pack of 2): Health & Personal Care

Kava Waka from Fiji is a powerful sleep aid. We make a tincture by putting 1 lb of powder in a 1 quart Mason jar, then filling with cheep vodka, shake once a day for 5 days then drain it off and add to tea, drinks or whatever. You can do this about 5x (refill with vodka/whiskey, etc) with the 1 lb of Kava, then finally, use cheesecloth and squeeze out the last of the tincture..

http://www.amazon.com/KAVA-WAKA-powder-Fijian-Quality/dp/B00A80163M/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1405695449&sr=1-1&keywords=kava waka

~~

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads