JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.wired.com/2015/10/devastating-chart-shows-why-el-nino-wont-fix-the-drought/

It isn't just the drought, and it isn't just California.

Oregon has severe aquifer problems too.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/study-aquifers-draining-quickly-less-in-pnw/
http://www.blueoregon.com/2007/03/oregons_approac/

And indeed, the rest of the country too:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...er-california-drought-aquifers-hidden-crisis/

Clean water for drinking, cleaning, growing food and other uses is very important for survival.

The basic problem boils down to this: there is a finite amount of clean potable water; 97.5% of the water on earth is salt water, that leaves 2.5% being fresh water, with over 1.5% being locked up in frozen water (mostly the polar ice caps), which leaves less than 1% being usable potable water.

Every day the earth's population grows.

The math is inescapable and should be plain for anybody to see; more people equals plus a fixed finite amount of potable water equals less water per person. Even if we solve the problems with pollution, even if we are lucky enough to live in an area where climate change won't have a local effect on our water supply (and given this summer, I have a real doubt about that supposition), more people will mean less water - and people are not inclined to stop reproducing.

The bigger picture is that here in the USA, and worldwide actually, water is in short supply. This is causing problems. It will increasingly cause problems. California produces a lot of food. Oregon, it seems to me, is somewhat self-sufficient (or could be) right now when it comes to water, food and energy - but our population is still growing. Don't think for a second that won't continue. Indeed, as California gets worse, I expect to see a significant increase in migration from California to the PNW.

Prepare for it.

On an anecdotal level; my neighbors have their wells drilled to 250' to 450' deep. Mine is 120' and I have not problems with water supply. One at 250' just had to have his well pump lowered because his water level dropped 40' in the last decade. Here on the mountain we get 50% more rain than the valley, but most of it runs off down into the valley. This was a pretty dry year for us too - we had to be very careful about fire danger.

Just had some well work done this summer. (bad foot valve). 130 ft well---the standing water level
when it was drilled 25 years ago was about 6 ft. down. Now it's 32 ft. 20 miles NW of
Salem. I've got a spring that's plumbed to a couple of cattle tanks----the water level dropped below
the outlet to the tanks 3 years ago. Used to be 2 ft above.

I was starting to worry about my well this year but thankfully there was no problems.
You've got a reservoir not far away there. Although I wouldn't want to be in the direct flood plain for it if the dam gave away.

Really nice area what I have seen of it. I would come down on my motorads from Seattle from behind Cougar and then cross over to get onto I-5 before coming through Portland.

I thought about buying some land there about once - seemed like nice rolling hills. It seems like a good area where you could retreat back up into the hills if you had to.

I'm pretty sure that people drink a cup of water and then they p a cup of water. No water is destroyed in the process. The exited solution will filter naturally if it's committed to nature.

Running out of water is an imagined problem that doesn't really exist.

I'm pretty sure that people drink a cup of water and then they p a cup of water. No water is destroyed in the process. The exited solution will filter naturally if it's committed to nature.

Its not just drinking water - its water used in manufacturing and other industrial uses that go along with population boom. Math is pretty easy. Increase a population then we have less available water per capita.

Water moves around the planet as well - if water stayed "local" we would not be experiencing a drought. Texas would not be getting higher than annual rains. Water moves. People generally move with water - although we migrate at far slower rates generally speaking.

Give it enough time we will experience overly wet conditions that will replenish the local aquifers - but that is an unpredictable time. Could be years or decades or centuries - or we could get hit with a massive solar flare tomorrow and the point is moot.

For the here and now though we need to plan for a future with less fresh potable h2o.

So basically what is being said is the current level of solar radiation is unable to evaporate enough sea water to create enough rain producing clouds to keep up with the growing human demands :rolleyes:

So, that is why the aquifers are lowering? Our imagination?

Have you looked at the numbers? More people equals less pee for everyone. Not good to pee less. :rolleyes:

I have seen the numbers for decades; my father worked in the water resources dept., I went out with him from time to time, to measure the aquifers and river flows.

Last Edited:

except... increased population=less water available for everyone. Also; lack of rains this year, lack of decent snow last winter, CoE releasing water last winter for a severe winter that never really came... which goes where? The Ocean.

a simpler solution and one I can see being implemented eventually would be to basically drastically reduce the population of the world, not just the severe drought areas but that would take something serious to happen.... otherwise, expect Oregon's valley to be more like California or Central Oregon.

in 1980; we had roughly 2.6 million people in Oregon. As of 2010, we have 3.8 million people. In those 30 years, an increase of over a million (not to mention the homeless and the illegals and the migrants)...

I would say that as population increase and the weather turns drier each year, potable water is reduced.

Israel supplies 98% of there drinking water through Reverse Osmosis treatment plants...

All California water issues are in fact political in nature: the greenies want to save the mud fish, deemed to be endangered, that fish is genetic to living in muddy waters!

In my Trip through Northern California, I took my "back roads" that I used to ride on long distance bike riding: I drove through 40 Square Miles of Rice Paddies, all flooded for growth. I passed Hundred Year old Concrete Water canals, ~purpose elevated~ for natural draining to Irrigate Tree Farms... The canals flowing At the Brim of the canals.

However, the ONE THING I SAW the MOST OF: signs: Keep Northern California's Water For The North!!!

The other thing I saw, was that the Political Cultural Group known as "The State of Jefferson", has traveled Farther South, and West, into other Ag Land.

The stupid LaLa Land southern Californikators, should:

1. Pay the North for providing water Better used Locally.
2. Start building Reverse Osmosis treatment plants... rather than STEALING (via political power) other people's water.

The State of California has voted about 20 times, to split the North/South & North, Central & South . . . But the liberals of LaLaLand could care less for Other People's Problems.

I will step off the Soap Box and end my Rant.

philip, who knew of the Great State of Jefferson, in the Early 60's.....

Israel supplies 98% of there drinking water through Reverse Osmosis treatment plants...

You might be able to do that - especially if you have a lot of solar power - but it is very expensive in terms of energy and maintenance.

The rest of your rant?

It is the equivalent of this:

lalalala-listening.jpg

Regardless of of why you think California is having problems, so is Oregon, and so is the rest of the USA.

Look into the amount of water used for agriculture alone in California. Google how much water is needed for a pound of beef. A gallon of milk.

Look into the amount of water used to grow food to feed food in California, or United States.

Sadly this is never discussed.

Funny when you look into this information, you also find out that a large amount of emissions are produced by agriculture as well. So when the government wants to tax you for fuel use you should smile a bit thinking about how much more this industry pumps out over every single car on earth combined.

Look into the amount of water used for agriculture alone in California. Google how much water is needed for a pound of beef. A gallon of milk.

Look into the amount of water used to grow food to feed food in California, or United States.

Sadly this is never discussed.

Funny when you look into this information, you also find out that a large amount of emissions are produced by agriculture as well. So when the government wants to tax you for fuel use you should smile a bit thinking about how much more this industry pumps out over every single car on earth combined.

It's difficult to take a crisis serious when gooberment is bringing in millions of people from other countries. Same crap when they demand you quit useing so much water but gooberment employees use water three times a week to wash gooberment cars. It's really hard to believe in all this demand we cut back on fuels when those who demand it fly in huge jets all over the world.

Honestly if the left wants to sell us that we need to make changes then the left should remove the log from their own eye.:cool:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top