JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is this safe to keep?

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Depends on the round.

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have been to many gun ranges and have found many a unused round, from .17HMR all the way to a .458 Socom and have kept most of them because they look cool and have just wiped them down to polish them and get some mud off. Most have been found in or near a puddle and knowing Oregon, have been in at least one. I heard recently that if the powder gets wet it forms nitro glycerin and is no longer safe. Should I get rid of them because they are no longer safe or is this just another legend? Thanks!

Well it's not going to go off by itself by getting wet, that's for sure.
Firing found rounds could be a risky practice some would say.
Pull 'em for the components, toss 'em, or keep for keepsakes..

EEK! :eek:
Just be sure to sign these papers first ... I want to add to my gun collection after you are gone. :D
Just kidding ... I would never seriously suggest to anyone , to some shoot "found ammo" , wet or dry:p
Andy

If the round is of the correct caliber for the firearm, I would more than likely try them as well. I tried .380 in my G19 just for kicks. It worked. As a single shot gun anyway. :)

The first squib I ever experienced was shooting a 38 with ammo that had been rained on. The primer went off, but powder didn't ignite, leaving a muddy nitrocellulose residue in the forcing cone right behind the bullet. These were reloads with HP38 powder and a good crimp. So unless your prepared to deal with a squib in the field, don't risk it. I carry a dowel and hammer in my range bag now.

I would for sure not shoot them, really a bad idea to shoot ammo you just found even if it was in a climate controlled room.

keep them as collectibles, or pull them for components.

I would be worried about getting someones "hot" or faulty reload...
Andy

I will say I've left many .22lr lead rounds for someone else to use. I don't shoot Thunderbolts or Goldens and for some reason have acquired some so I tend to leave them in a box or something at my favorite shooting spots. I hope someone else finds them and uses them.

I've also picked up .223 rounds that failed to fire in my rifle and tried them again after a quick wipe down. Strangely they almost always go bang. I shoot a lot of bulk target ammo so I expect a few primers that need a second strike.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews