JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most landlords worry about the $ now, IE: rent due every month. I worry about how much I will lose while I fix the place after they move out and trash it. The owner of my company rented out his 5,000 SqFt place in Battle Ground to two executives at $3,500 a month. He even let the wife drive his newer BMW 7 series when her car was totaled in an accident until she could replace it. When they moved out they stole about 20k in personal property that he had left for them to use, wrecked the car and trashed the house as they had kids as well. He took them to court and won and then proceeded to have a Clark County sheriff he knows arrest the wife and force her to take them to a storage until to re-claim his stuff. She sat in the back of the police cruiser while my boss collected his belongings. Mind you, these folks made a combined 300k a year so they and the owner of Ikea can have all the money in the world and still be bad tenants in my book.

My father-in-law owns 10 rentals in Portland. I have known him for 18 years and he collects his rent at the door every month. He includes in the rental contract that he will collect at the door on the 1st-5th and inspect the property at the same time. I have gone on those inspections and it has saved him thousands over the years. One tenant was avoiding him for a few months and went as far as tracking down his place of employment to deliver the rent. He posted a 24-hour inspection notice after not seeing the inside for a few months. BIG mistake! The tenant had 3 additional people living there along with all of their stuff and they (the new people) were not as kind to the home as the tenants were. In my, and others experience, you have to ride them hard to make sure that they don't trash your investment.
Cool story. I'm all pissed out.

Trump owns multiple businesses, has assets, makes money - and he is a deadbeat multiple times over.

Tattoos, assets, whatever, don't make a person bad or good - it is their actions that show their true character.

Alright fine, Bash who ever you want then

Maybe you might at least understand that when someone talks bubblegume about "your people" its offensive and standing up for yourself is a natural thing.

Maybe you would understand a bit better if he was bashing old people, or Jews or something else. I just happen to be a tattoo'd guy.

I was just driving along King and 82nd and saw a sign.. "All in The Family Property Management...".
I wonder if he's got a special chair in his office that no one can sit in.

th?&id=OIP.Me53ad72f30048d3d49296e5a5e32e7d3o0&w=300&h=219&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

Gadzooks, I just remembered that I'm not tattoo'ed!! Is it something I should think about having done, d'ye think?

tac, worried now.
Not me.. I'm saving up for a can a 3-In-One oil. My shopping cart wheels are squeaking horribly. Gotta prioritize. I can probably write it off as a capital improvement though so I'm not really complaining.

Back on the subject of weird tenants ...
We live next to a duplex and over the years have had some strange ones next to us.

One I am pretty sure poisoned one of our cats.
Another was "friendly" and always had series of different "boyfriends" over at different times.
Had a young gal and an older man living together ... When he was gone during the day , she had visitors of various sorts helping themselves to stuff of his.
The last family was a bit off ... The dad would bark at our cats and dogs ... Said he didn't like guns made him nervous , just before they moved out he took to wearing openly a .22 Revolver.
( And doing the "lean" you know with one hand one the butt of the gun , hip thrust out so you can't miss him and his gun ... Carried the damn thing to the neighbors one night to complain of their noise. Those neighbors are nice as pie ... They told me later they were very scared when he did that )
Like I said strange.
Always seems a crap shoot on who we live next too.

The duplex is for sale now ... So not sure what will happen next.
Andy

Maybe you might at least understand that when someone talks bubblegume about "your people" its offensive and standing up for yourself is a natural thing.

Maybe you would understand a bit better if he was bashing old people, or Jews or something else. I just happen to be a tattoo'd guy.

I guess you didn't read the part where I said "Tattoos, assets, whatever, don't make a person bad or good - it is their actions that show their true character."

In other words, don't judge a book by its cover.

But if you want to continue to take offense at my non-offenseive statements - that is your prerogative. :rolleyes:

I guess you didn't read the part where I said "Tattoos, assets, whatever, don't make a person bad or good - it is their actions that show their true character."

In other words, don't judge a book by its cover.

But if you want to continue to take offense at my non-offenseive statements - that is your prerogative. :rolleyes:

You're right. I was a little worked up and bent out of shape yesterday. You were not the right person to jump on.

Always seems a crap shoot on who we live next too.

The duplex is for sale now ... So not sure what will happen next.
Andy

I have been lucky lately.

When I moved back to Orygun I leased a house for a year in a nice neighborhood and had decent neighbors.

Then I moved out into the boonies and for the most part have pretty good neighbors - but then I have found distance makes better neighbors. I have some privacy when I have 100+ yards of forest between my house and my neighbors house, and that makes for everybody pretty much minding their own business. Since everybody in the neighborhood moved here for privacy and solitude, it is a very quiet neighborhood where we try not to disturb our neighbors. I am probably the noisiest one; I do work on the property with machinery cutting down brush, cutting up firewood, occasionally shooting.

Our experiences with renters have been those that moved in next to us, and many have been poor experiences for us. We just had a neighbor behind us go out of town for the next year for his job and the house is being rented while they're away. We noticed immediately when the new folks moved in because they are LOUD. Loud music, loud talking. We moved where we did for QUIET, and for the most part, most of our neighbors seem to get that point. But these new folks, who we're now stuck with for the next year, are going to invade that quiet.

I think I'm with @The Heretic, the only way we can be assured of peace and quiet is to put even more distance between us and any neighbors. Every place we've lived, whether rented or owned has put us next to someone that just doesn't seem to appreciate quiet and peacefulness. So at some point, we're going to have to move again and make that for ourselves.

In Oregun, OUR neighbours are just over the other side of this here bump............

upload_2016-9-8_14-59-10.png

We don't hear much out of 'em.

tac

I rent, always have & likely will for at least the next few years. Handy for what it is, and the headaches of homeownership it avoids. Downside is loss of equity, and of course the joys of home ownership.

The upsides have outweighed the downs for us so far.

I always pay my rent early. I just do, I "stress out" if it's the 20th & my rents not on its way.

I have very good credit & references.

We've been extremely lucky in our renting so far.

Moved cross country 3 times now without a place to live, once without a job on the first move out this way- after traveling overseas for over a year (doesn't look to great for most prospective owners). That's where good credit & references came in super handy. Turned out to be "the worst" place I've rented, but was still pretty good over-all. Just bad in being it was a loud complex with parking issues.

I'll only rent from owners nowadays, not through a management company or corporation. I meet the owner, and get a pretty decent sense rite away if things are on the up n up, or if there's any wierdness.

One owner out here was showing a rental to us that was currently occupied, which is fine, but couldn't give a move out date for the current tenants for us to see the the place empty (or at least in progress). I have a feeling he was in the process of evicting those folks, as it looked "in a bad way" & nothing was staged for moving.

The next place we looked at, the renter was present (worked from home), was standard messy from moving clutter, a great impression for a prospective tenant seeing that there will in fact be a place to move into! Plus chatting with the prior tenant gave a great impression of the owner. Which turned out truthful.

The owner of that 2nd unit did his due diligence & checked my credit plus prior rental references, and met up with us for coffee & to chat. An impromptu interview if you will. Which is a great idea!

Been here over a year now, and hope to stay until we buy up some property in the outlying area a few years off. In fact I'd offer to buy him out (if he was interested), if our interests were to stay closer in the city. The place is that nice.

I didn't realize all you tattooed people knew each other. Do you have like a social club you go to? :D

Well, I'm both white AND Jewish, so two different kinds of people recognise me. Hey, tac, you old white Jewish person! they call out across the street.

upload_2016-9-8_15-42-48.png

Mostly folks recognise me with some kind of a gun in my paws.

tac, instantly recognisable as white - the Jewish, meh, maybe that's not so easy....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top