Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Weird CHL Law

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by DootyBeet, Mar 27, 2009.

1. DootyBeet

DootyBeet Salem Member

OK, I've had someone tell me about a CHL restriction that I checked out and found true.
    One cannot carry while on an ATV or snowmobile on public land.
    Does anyone here understand the thought process behind this?
    I have unknowingly (I know, no excuse) violated this rule several times.

2. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

They don't want you offending the animals or defending yourself from them.

Cougars, Coyotes, Bears and Meth Labs and My Gun Cannot Be Loaded? I Guess am Dinner or Dead!

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Do you have a statute number, this is probably the loaded weapon on an ATV law which is commonly misunderstood.

4. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

In Oregon? Just in your county?
    What kind of public land? National Parks? City Parks?

That's a VERY BROAD statement which I suppose would be untrue in many more situations and locations that where it would be true.

5. DootyBeet

DootyBeet Salem Member

It is illegal to carry a loaded gun (long gun or handgun) on an atv or a snowmobile. CHL holders ARE NOT exempt. If you are carrying a bow, all arrows must be in a quiver. ORS 821.240

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

What I did find is this is a traffic law.

6. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

There used to, and may still, be a known conflict in Washington State law about CPL holders carrying when hiking in the wilderness. As I remember, the wildlife code said we had to have a hunting license but the CCW code said we did not need a hunting license to carry concealed into the wilderness.

I would not be surprised to learn that Oregon has a similar conflict on this issue.

7. Leif Runenritzer

Leif Runenritzer Kernilyis Active Member

I read a while back that someone wanted to change this so-called law so you could carry on a snowmobile or ATV with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber. It was voted down by the lawmakers. What the Hel. Who hates our rights so much in there?