JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I've had someone tell me about a CHL restriction that I checked out and found true.
One cannot carry while on an ATV or snowmobile on public land.
Does anyone here understand the thought process behind this?
I have unknowingly (I know, no excuse) violated this rule several times.

One cannot carry while on an ATV or snowmobile on public land.

In Oregon? Just in your county?
What kind of public land? National Parks? City Parks?

That's a VERY BROAD statement which I suppose would be untrue in many more situations and locations that where it would be true.

It is illegal to carry a loaded gun (long gun or handgun) on an atv or a snowmobile. CHL holders ARE NOT exempt. If you are carrying a bow, all arrows must be in a quiver. ORS 821.240

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

What I did find is this is a traffic law.

CHL holders ARE NOT exempt.

There used to, and may still, be a known conflict in Washington State law about CPL holders carrying when hiking in the wilderness. As I remember, the wildlife code said we had to have a hunting license but the CCW code said we did not need a hunting license to carry concealed into the wilderness.

I would not be surprised to learn that Oregon has a similar conflict on this issue.

I read a while back that someone wanted to change this so-called law so you could carry on a snowmobile or ATV with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber. It was voted down by the lawmakers. What the Hel. Who hates our rights so much in there?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top