JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The new addition. I was going to strip it and use the parts on other guns, but my ten month old fell in love with it, so I started reworking it for him today. Removing the rollover and probably the Monte Carlo cheek piece. I may leave a pancake style cheek piece or just remove it all together. Drop the LOP to 12.75" to 13" and add a new recoil pad. Probably open the angle of the grip just a bit straighter. Round the contour of the fore end. It should make it pretty svelte. Straight up open sight style stock. I'll have other scoped guns for him.

Weld up the holes in the receiver, clean, and hopefully have the roll marks touched up. Add some decent iron sights, maybe an NECG adjustable rear, maybe a Lyman or Redfield peep. Banded front sight. Probably adjust the barrel down to about 20". Probably a cerakote finish because the welds will show on a recluse.
Load up some 110 gr soft point or 150 gr round nose gallery loads.

Okay, my boy's only ten months old, and I may be getting ahead of myself a bit, but...

image.jpeg

Long ago I built a 1922 03 Carbine with the 20" barrel/C-stock/rear sights. It looked like a Krag Carbine but sportier. Alas the 20" barrel produced a pronounced muzzle blast.
I ended-up turning down the barrel to a M-70 feather-weight profile and putting it into a Fajen Mannlicher stock for use as a bear rifle.
th?id=OIP.M1404bd4fcc2f184963699b60ff489fb8o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=368&h=86.jpg
Lesson learned: never sell a good rifle!o_O
Even if your Left Handed!

DSC04471-1.jpg I have been thinking of restoring this one but.........it looks sweet, and shoots even sweeter! May just have to leave it alone and find a good un messed with one to enjoy! That and my oldest has all ready claimed it when I'm gone!

There is a Commercial Mauser down there with a mid 50's Swarovski scope on it I have been drooling over for some time. .375 H&H mag. They want a lot for it, but I figure I can keep weedeling them down until I can get it for a good price! $2500 is a bit to rich for me!

My father in law was given a whitworth Mauser a few years ago in .375 H&H. I will likely have to build one eventually, but it will likely be on an Enfield. I already have the stock, just have to find the action and barrel, sights, scope mount, etc. etc.

The problem is, projects start with the most random parts. I had a 1911 project start with a mainspring housing, a rifle project from a tub of virgin brass, a few other rifles from barrels. The next thing you know, you have a project list 40 guns long.

HAHA, you and I are thinking the same thing! Black rifles are cool, but I have what I want/need, and nice sporters are way more fun! and done right, can fetch a nice price, at least I keep telling the wife that! She hasn't hit me with the "why havn't you sold any?" thing yet!

HAHA, you and I are thinking the same thing! Black rifles are cool, but I have what I want/need, and nice sporters are way more fun! and done right, can fetch a nice price, at least I keep telling the wife that! She hasn't hit me with the "why havn't you sold any?" thing yet!
Sell?! What is this "Sell" thing you refer to? I never "sell", I upgrade.

Also, I don't have a wife thing to deal with. :)

Today's deer rifles are tomorrow's deadly tactical sniper rifles so we might as well make them as "deadly" as possible. and since we already know that beauty and aesthetics are no defense against destruction beauty points such as polish, blueing, stock finish are now secondary to accuracy and reliabilityo_O

Gunny Hathcock used basically a custom shop Winchester M70 hunting rifle! Most "sniper rifles" up into the mid 80's were basically tuned hunting rifles! Most target rifles were far more advanced then the hunting rifles of the day, yet the hunting rifles were the tools for the job! I have a Mauser and a few others that are good beyond my abilities!

Someone posted a nice long range .308 Mauser on a commercial action up a few months ago. I would have loved to bought it. But I'll have to settle for building one instead...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top