JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ATF Seeks 'Massive' Database of Personal Info: Assets, Relatives, Associates and More...

A recent solicitation from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) reveals that the agency is seeking a "massive" online database capable of pulling up individuals' personal information, connections and associates.

On March 28, ATF posted the notice on FedBizOpps.gov, entitled "Investigative System." The solicitation was updated on April 5 with a few minor changes.

The document says that the system will be utilized by staff "to provide rapid searches on various entities for example; names, telephone numbers, utility data and reverse phone look-ups, as a means to assist with investigations, and background research on people, assets and businesses."

The system is described as a "massive online data repository system that contains a wide variety of data sources both historically and current that can be utilized in support of investigations and backgrounds."

The overview of the solicitation states:

Staff will utilize "a number of internal databases as well as external sources to provide timely and relevant information and intelligence products to law enforcement agencies at the federal, state and local levels."

The system "provides a means to rapidly check records across the country" and is "necessary in assisting investigators, agents and analyst to find people, their assets, relatives, associates and more."

The ATF says they will use this system to provide information to Intelligence Analysts, Special Agents, Inspectors, Financial Investigators and Law Enforcement.

The investigative system will allow ATF to "obtain exact matches from partial source data searches such as, incomplete social security numbers, address, VIN numbers, etc."

The system will also have the ability to "link structured and unstructured data to find connection points between two or more individuals."
ATF Seeks 'Massive' Database of Personal Info: 'Assets, Relatives, Associates and More' | CNS News

Yep I was just reading it, they would not be posting something on fedbizzops unless they were at a minimum looking for pricing and second intending to do it either now or shortly down the road.

These clowns need to be charged with treason and prosecuted accordingly

gestapo_thumb1.jpg

gestapo_thumb1.jpg

Nothing good can come from this. People should have a reasonable expectation of privacy. The potential for misuse far outweighs the benefits of an omniscient, totalitarian government.

I think government organizations, and private companies that do contract work for them, need to be accountable to the people. I don't trust black budgets, and don't believe an honest justification for them can be made.

It looks like programs like this need to be defunded, but we know that won't happen. I trust individuals with firearms because they continually show sound judgement in their ownership and use. I cannot say that the federal government has shown responsible behavior with its use of troops and weapons.

States do a good job, largely, regarding use of force and exercising restraint. I've never been a big states rights fan, but I really worry about federal powers going out of control. They will hurt people. Surveillance twists people up in ways that aren't good. And power will be misused for ridiculous, petty, personal reasons by those who wield it.

At this point, there is nothing we can do to change the political scene. We have no legitimate representation. Get to know your neighbors, help people out whenever you can, stockpile food and tools, work on your garden. As the government transforms further into a nightmare state, quality of life will become increasingly tied up in local affairs, how well you get on with the people around you, and how valuable you are to them.

We already have something like 2 million people in prison right now. New ATF plans won't exactly reduce this number. I think our material standard of living is so high that it is difficult to see how hard life is for those on the bottom. There seem to be a lot more people on the bottom these days. Keeping records of them won't help anything.

They already have access to all of that - it is called Facebook.

"necessary in assisting investigators, agents and analyst to find people, their assets, relatives, associates and more."

I do find humor in the stubborn, deluded types that still believe they live in the land of the free.

Take the time to thank the sheep, you know, the 98% that allowed all of this to get this far and beyond. Government simply takes whatever power it can. Americans have spoken and said 'take it all.'

Americans have earned the boot on their necks 100%. No other populace in modern human history has ever been this apathetic and so easily deceived.

Enjoy each day to the fullest because it will be difficult to have fun in the future while the boot is firmly in place.

They already have access to all of that - it is called Facebook.

"necessary in assisting investigators, agents and analyst to find people, their assets, relatives, associates and more."

I do find humor in the stubborn, deluded types that still believe they live in the land of the free.

Take the time to thank the sheep, you know, the 98% that allowed all of this to get this far and beyond. Government simply takes whatever power it can. Americans have spoken and said 'take it all.'

Americans have earned the boot on their necks 100%. No other populace in modern human history has ever been this apathetic and so easily deceived.

Enjoy each day to the fullest because it will be difficult to have fun in the future while the boot is firmly in place.

Once again, Facebook isn't really anymore of an information grabbed than a debit or credit card, probably less so depending on how you use it. Even sites like this are being harvested for information constantly.
I agree that staying as unentangled from the WWW is a worthwhile goal. One also has to realize that simple automotive registration on up to paperwork for NFA weapon.s puts you in full contact with the tentacles of TPTB.
Calling people 'sheep' for contacting high school friends on FB when you are fully under the microscope of intrusive government is a bit silly.

Facebook no more invasive than a credit card? lol

Facebook is like a virus that attaches itself to everything you do electronically and never lets go. Why do you think DHS calls anyone who does not use it a potential terrorist? Please.

It's pretty simple to set up another web presence, from where I sit there are 5 networks, 1 is open. A used netbook off of Craigslist is cheap, none of it ever needs to be connected to me in any electronic sence.... It all depends on how paranoid you want to get, but for 200 bucks and minimal effort I can be effectively anonymous with a separate machine... A few bit coins and a p.o. Box yer good to go down the tin hat super highway.

your $200 netbook solution is precisely what this system would nullify (if it isnt already nullified by current systems). For the last 200+ years of the difficulty has never been collecting the data - the problem has always been sifting through it and filtering out the noise. Cutting edge computational systems are beginning to catch up to data collection. The system they are seeking bids for would quickly correlate details and spit out some message along the lines of "probability of netbook x operated by powersbj = 99.6%" By cross cancelling times, dates, locations, cctv footage, internet use patterns, keystroke patterns, money flows, local retailer inventories, this system could at least spit out out a short list.

Facebook is not the rosy image it puts out there, but its also not ideal for repression (Facilitates communication among targets, reduced capacity for censorship in order to maintain attractive public image). I urge everyone to familiarize themselves with the concept of the Panopticon. The short book "Welcome to the Machine" by Derrick Jensen is a great primer.

Facebook no more invasive than a credit card? lol

Facebook is like a virus that attaches itself to everything you do electronically and never lets go. Why do you think DHS calls anyone who does not use it a potential terrorist? Please.

Prove that a person who only uses Facebook to connect with family and close friends is giving up anywhere near the info you do when you subscribe to a magazine, use your debit/credit card, apply for NFA privileges, buy a home or car etc....
I agree, you can go in depth into FB and give all that data up if you want. But if you use it wisely its no more a threat than any of the other items mentioned here.

I can cancel a credit card in ten minutes.

Just try to completely delete a Facebook account. You can't. It monitors and reports back ALL your browsing, your habits, your purchases. The last time I checked one CC can't do that.

Watch an old episode of Adam 12. In almost every episode they would go out looking for a 'bad guy' - how? - ask the neighbors, etc, about who the person hangs out with, where they go --- now that is all instantaneous, whether you are bad or not.

Why did you think every forum, alternate news source's comments section wants you to login via Facecrook - so it can monitor everything you say and feel. Now granted, I am not ultra paranoid about that. I know TPTB don't give a rats arse what a minion like you and I have to say as they are looking for 'important people' to control, manipulate, capture, or suppress. It is just the point.

Twitter (especially; no one cares you just took a dump) and Facebook are for the dimwitted and gullible; that's all I have to say on the subject. Have fun on Facecrook, the gathering place for the trusting simpletons.

I can cancel a credit card in ten minutes.

Just try to completely delete a Facebook account. You can't. It monitors and reports back ALL your browsing, your habits, your purchases. The last time I checked one CC can't do that.

Watch an old episode of Adam 12. In almost every episode they would go out looking for a 'bad guy' - how? - ask the neighbors, etc, about who the person hangs out with, where they go --- now that is all instantaneous, whether you are bad or not.

Why did you think every forum, alternate news source's comments section wants you to login via Facecrook - so it can monitor everything you say and feel. Now granted, I am not ultra paranoid about that. I know TPTB don't give a rats arse what a minion like you and I have to say as they are looking for 'important people' to control, manipulate, capture, or suppress. It is just the point.

Twitter (especially; no one cares you just took a dump) and Facebook are for the dimwitted and gullible; that's all I have to say on the subject. Have fun on Facecrook, the gathering place for the trusting simpletons.

The credit card is just like FB. Cancel it if you want, all the data associated with it never goes away.
I'm not saying FB is harmless, just that its really no different from any of the other previously mentioned stuff. The insults are really sophomoric. The premise that the non facebook user is a superior intellect is a real gut buster. There are dimwits where ever humans gather, cyber space, meat space, even here. Imagine that.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top