JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am considering moving to Washington County and I am wondering if anybody is having issues getting their permit transfered from another county into Washington County? Thanks

I don't think it's a issue as it is really a State program administered by the local Sheriff. I do understand you wanting to transfer it so renewal won't be a issue. You can call them, they are busy, but nice. I think it would go smoother though if you just went to see them. They are on the west side of Hillsboro at the jail just north of highway 8. Park in the free public parking garage across the street from the NE corner of the jail. You can't carry any weapons into the jail so leave them behind. After you go in the main door and get screened you will see a big staircase, go up there turn right and it'll be the first or second door on the left. Always better, faster to talk in person IMHO.

I have gone from WashCo to MultCo and back again to WashCo. with no problems. If you have not read the F.A.Q.'s on both county websites, then check them out. Lots of helpful info.
Pandaz3 also gives solid advice.

Good to know. I know transferring is easier than new apps, but I am probably paying for the apartment application tomorrow and can't wait any longer.

My CHL was originally acquired in Lane County. When I changed my residency to Washington County, I had 30 days (IIRC) to change the CHL. It was easy. Just go to the WCSO in Hillsboro, fill out the paperwork, and you're done. IIRC, there is a small processing fee and they'll take your photo for the new card. Mine was promptly mailed to me. Washington County's Sheriff is relatively pro-2nd Amendment.

Just an update, back in February this year (14) i was expiring so I went in person to the office to get a appointment. They just did it all right then, no hassle and I walked out with the new card in my wallet.

This week, Monday evening, The Warden attended her classroom training. I took her initial paperwork in on Tuesday, She got a letter back already from the Washington County SO with a April 14 interview. I think the County and all those people up there are doing a good job.

I find that it's always best to come into the office and talk with them in person. I did that last year and was able to schedule out my appointment on a day I knew would work for me.

My wife took her CHL class on Mar 15, filled out the paper work and dropped by the office and asked when the next available Friday appointment was and they gave it to us. April 11. So, I think they are doing a wonderful job.

Also, while we were there I asked about fingerprint services, costs and schedule. They said that if it's for another state, bring in the cards, pay downstairs and come on up... no appointment necessary.

I think all you need to do is a change of address with the county that issued your permit. Once the current permit expires do a renewal in WA county.
The county you moved TO is the one that does the transfer. Sheriff Garrett is 100% pro-2nd amendment. Also, make sure your DMV address is accurate because THAT is the address they must go by when processing the transfer.

Last Edited:
18 years ago when I got my permit in Yamhill County, the Sheriff's office had not yet gotten a digital camera. Back then, applicants would be taken into the jail booking room to be fingerprinted, and their photograph was taken using the jail's mug shot camera. It was a good feeling to know that, unlike most of the other "clients", I was in that room by choice and I didnt have to wear the shiny bracelets or stay for dinner.

The wait has gone way up. When I got mine a while back it took a month from app to appointment and I had it in 5 weeks or maybe less. Washington county is still way better than Clackamas or Multnomah though.

I mailed my application in on 3/03 and two weeks later to the day I received my appointment letter (which was today coincidentally). I walked in at 9:40 and paid my $65 dollars and left at 10:20 with my license in my hand.

Total turnaround time was EXACTLY 4 weeks.

I just renewed my CHL today. I called for an appointment 2 weeks ago, and scheduled for today at 4pm. I only waited that long, as I needed a late Thursday appt.

I walked in at approximately 3:45 pm and was done with new card in hand about 4 pm. The people in the office are nice and professional.

I really appreciate that Sheriff Garrett is Pro 2A.

Sure beats living in Multnomah County.......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

I just renewed my CHL today. I called for an appointment 2 weeks ago, and scheduled for today at 4pm. I only waited that long, as I needed a late Thursday appt.

I walked in at approximately 3:45 pm and was done with new card in hand about 4 pm. The people in the office are nice and professional.

I really appreciate that Sheriff Garrett is Pro 2A.

Sure beats living in Multnomah County.......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

For sure, The woman who has done mine every time is nice and low key. In Washington I felt like I was being grilled. My brother got his in Clackamas years ago and it took almost 4 months there. Washington county is definitely a better place to be if you are pro carry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top