JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dear Rick,

Thank you for your recent email about the tragic events that took place in Orlando on June 12, 2016. On that day, a lone gunman motivated by hate and a desire to terrorize America took the lives of 49 innocent people and injured 53 more.

What happened in Orlando was both a terrorist attack and a hate crime against the Latino and LGBT communities. As we continue to keep the victims of Orlando and their loved ones in our thoughts and prayers, our national conversation has turned to multiple topics including tolerance, domestic security and access to guns.

I stand with Oregonians who believe that law-abiding gun owners should be able to exercise their Second Amendment rights responsibly. I recognize the importance of gun ownership to security, hunting, target shooting, and gun collecting.

I also believe that it is simple common sense to restrict access to guns by criminals, by deeply mentally disturbed individuals, and by individuals contemplating acts of terrorism.

These views mirror those of most Oregonians, who support both the Second Amendment and closing background check loopholes. In fact, the majority of Oregonians voted in favor of a ballot initiative that expanded background checks to help close the gun show loophole over a decade and a half ago. I believe we can take action to improve the background check system nationally while fully respecting the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Thank you, again, for sharing your views on this topic with me. I will be sure to keep your views in mind as the Senate continues to consider gun-related legislation.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

I have received similar letters from Merkley, he likes to explain that he is an old farm boy from eastern Oregon and supports everything about firearms and the second amendment but when it comes down to a vote; he will vote with the democrats every time. "Blumenauer",......don't even waste your time....he is Nancy Pelosi in pants.

I have sent Merkley a note every week for months asking him what he's doing to get the Hammond's out of jail ? nothing from him, nothing at all

I have received similar letters from Merkley, he likes to explain that he is an old farm boy from eastern Oregon and supports everything about firearms and the second amendment but...

That "but" negates everything that came before it.

This reminds me of Kitzhaber with his blue jeans and cowboy boots. The liberals have figured out how to get elected in Oregon - just find a candidate who isn't wearing a business suit and he's a shoo-in. I'm waiting to see a D wielding a chain saw in the coming election. :rolleyes:

To be fair, if senators and congressmen actually had to write out individual responses to letters, that pretty much all they'd have time to do... Ever. They probably don't even write out the canned responses themselves.
I don't think for an instant that he wrote it but I bet its his sentiment through and through

They have to wear boots ~ to keep their feet clean. Otherwise they would slip and fall on their arses from all the brown stuff that they spew out of their mouth.
Staff writes the canned letters ~ sounds like the same ones do the writing from both states.:oops::oops::oops:

Thus turd, I pray, will be a one term usurper.
Yeah, his response had not a single word about stopping terrorists....

Look to your own protection folks, these folks never will. Idiots like this are defacto collaborators with terrorists. They truly know it is only the 2A that prevents their total enslavement of the citizen. Time for a full blown new party called the Constitutionalists, even if starts with electing the local dog catcher as the first. Unfricking believable.

Brutus out

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews