JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in east Portland area and am going to apply for a non res permit in WA. According to what I read I can apply with any "local law enforcement agency". From what I see on the WA licensing website I can apply at a PD or Sheriff Dept. Is there a preference to which agency I apply regarding ease and fast turn around?

Thanks, and Mods please move if this is in the wrong place.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

I think it has to be the Sheriff's office here. I've had WA CPL's since about 1983 and I've always gone to them.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member
Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

I usually go through Clark Co office in downtown Vanc. Great people and easy to desl with. I've had my permit since 2003.
I actually just renewed it Friday. Too bad I waited a bit too long. It expires today and I have to wait until I get my new one in the mail before I can carry. Feeling a little naked.

But no classes and Bs you have to do in OR.

Thanks guys, I was wondering if Clark Co Sheriff was anything like Multnomah Co. Sounds like he's supportive of our rights.

Just to add my 2 cents, I got my WA CPL through the Clark Co. Sheriff's office in downtown Vancouver. I wasn't sure what to expect as an OR resident, but they were very friendly and the process relatively painless. The only item of note was that they took the entire allotted time to get it to me - I think that was 60 days, and it arrived around day 59.

They were probably backed up.
There has been a lot if permits coming through the last few years.
And more and more OR residents.

I just wish they woukd uograde their system and get pictured cards like oregon has.

Yes one needs to go through the CCSO down at the courthouse. They are the only ones who issue.

Years ago you could just go in and they would type it out for you and hand it to you...years later yes they are much busier and you get it in the mail:( I re did mine last year and just like above had to wait as my old one expired. Lady at the desk kind of looks at me with this grin and says now remember you have to wait until the new one comes in the mail :)

I am sure someday they will get the pictures. Hell it only took them how many years to get it down to a wallet size:rolleyes: I still have the big piece of paper for mine.....

They were probably backed up.
There has been a lot if permits coming through the last few years.
And more and more OR residents.

I just wish they woukd uograde their system and get pictured cards like oregon has.
Why do you want photos on your license? I don't mind either way, I used to have a WA CPL way back when I was stationed up there.

I wonder if you can renew one thats been expired for about 25 yrs!

OK, true story about when I applied for my WA CPL way back in the 80s. I went to the Sheriff's Dept, Clallam Cty, and filed the paperwork. The Deputy told me we needed prints but the print station was in the secure area. He said some people get a little freaked about going back there, I said thanks but no worries.

As he's printing me a woman I knew, she was a prison guard and her husband worked for me and I'd known them both for 10 yrs or more, walked by. She stopped dead in her tracks, jaw just about hit the floor! "What did you do!" I said "I didn't know she was only 13!"
The Deputy was laughing so hard he messed up the print card and we had to start over.

OK, true story about when I applied for my WA CPL way back in the 80s. I went to the Sheriff's Dept, Clallam Cty, and filed the paperwork. The Deputy told me we needed prints but the print station was in the secure area. He said some people get a little freaked about going back there, I said thanks but no worries.

As he's printing me a woman I knew, she was a prison guard and her husband worked for me and I'd known them both for 10 yrs or more, walked by. She stopped dead in her tracks, jaw just about hit the floor! "What did you do!" I said "I didn't know she was only 13!"
The Deputy was laughing so hard he messed up the print card and we had to start over.

Great story Warrant, thanks for sharing.

I recommend something to my shooter pals... maybe not what all Oregon shooters want to accomplish (or pay for), but here's what I did.

As a Portlander, I often find myself hiking, boating, eating - doing stuff in Washington. So instead of paying a little for the Washington CHL, I paid roughly twice as much for the Utah CWP (or whatever they call it there), which includes 25 additional states. With that in my wallet, I can legally conceal a pistol under my jacket driving to and from Missouri where my son is currently stationed, and well beyond. I value personal security on a road trip.

I also value doing business with any state that honors reciprocity with dozens of others including the one next door where I visit several times a month - without having to pre-plan what to do with my carry piece. Rather than rant about crooked communists in the capitol, I'll just say I wish Oregon could wake up and get our shtuff together in similar fashion. Here's a link to the map of states that Utah recognizes (including Washington and vice versa).

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
You all were right, Clark Cty was easy! Now need to wait my 59 days before I can exercise my Constitutionally protected right to protect myself. :mad:

I went to the PD in W. Vancouver, very close to the I5 bridge about two years ago. I walked in, not a lot of people there, filled out the document, paid, got printed, and was told to expect the license in the mail within 60 days. I'm pretty sure it was EXACTLY 60 days later that it showed up. Overall the process was easy and the crew there were totally fine, it just bugged me how long it took for the license to show up. It's just a janky piece of paper, so heading to Kinko's to do lamination is probably a good idea.

I went to the PD in W. Vancouver, very close to the I5 bridge about two years ago. I walked in, not a lot of people there, filled out the document, paid, got printed, and was told to expect the license in the mail within 60 days. I'm pretty sure it was EXACTLY 60 days later that it showed up. Overall the process was easy and the crew there were totally fine, it just bugged me how long it took for the license to show up. It's just a janky piece of paper, so heading to Kinko's to do lamination is probably a good idea.

I see that hasn't changed since I had one 25 yrs ago.

Although it's still paper, the format has changed. Before it looked very similar to a traffic citation in size and shape. My renewal was able to be slightly trimmed down to credit card sized and laminated, where it rides in the same slot inside my wallet as my OR CHL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top