JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
because I called several and read posts from other FFL's on other forums.... it is true... all were notified..

This must be a violation of our rights...

That makes little sense. If they're investigating a stolen AR-15, then they should already have the relevant data for the gun in question. If not, it wouldn't be difficult to get it. Asking for every AR-15 transaction for the last year has is so unlikely to be of use in any SPECIFIC investigation that it makes it highly questionable.

WOW, that is one way to do it. Another would be to include the serial # and ask them to check their records to see if it passed through they're shop.

But, WOW.

something definitely smells here... :geek:

This was just sent to me from my FFL... apparently he did get the letter as well:

"Yes, got the letter and will ignore it. The act of buying an AR15 is not criminal nor is it open to investigation or invasion of privacy to those who purchased an AR15.Now if the WSP sent me a letter requesting about a particular serial number of a particular AR15 that was used in a criminal manner, I would hand over the purchasers information to aid in the criminal investigation. But, last time I checked, buying an AR15 is not a criminal activity"

They are only asking about an AR-15 and only Armalite made the true AR-15 (all the rest are only AR-15 style). There can't be too many to report!

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector memb

I'm not a FFL, and maybe one can give me some insight here, and I'm not a lawyer, and maybe one of them can throw in their opine as well, but the legal actions here seem a bit strange. I would think this information would be subpoenaed or there would be a court order demanding this info. This is just a request, and unless there is a requirement placed on FFLs to comply with any and all requests for info from LE, there is no law I am aware of requiring the recipient to supply the requested info. Anyone else want to chime in on my thoughts?

Um...if 'Detective Gundermann' is investigating a stolen firearm, either 1.) the victim reported it...in which case she already has the victim's personnal information and the shop where it was purchased or 2.) she has a stolen rifle in hand, by which she can send out the serial number to every FFL and see which one reports back with a name and address of the purchaser. Option 2 won't even help if the rifle has changed hands several times.

Something really smells fishy at WSP.

Keith

Wow.... Im not sure what to say to this....

They could have at least tried to make it sound plausible...since when do they call on the whole state to recover ONE firearm. I feel like only big5 and other chain ffls will actually comply.

I'd say this is a witch hunt. If a firearm went through an FFL the serial number would have been reported at time of sale. What are they trying to find anyway?

I say F-em.

I am not upset at this, they are trying to track something to do with a possible crime. Now if it was from the dimwit in the White House I would be upset...Spad

The reason for concern is that there is no lawful reason to get ALL AR sales records, other than to compile a list of them. They know the number of the stolen firearm. They can just let the FFLs know what number to be on the look out for without generating a list....

It's about the fourth amendment...

Also there is something fishy here, because any firearm that was reported stolen would come up as such when they did a check, or during the NICS check during the sale. (unless of course it wasn't reported stolen until long after the fact)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top