JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Considering the time of year (holidays) funds have dried up until after the new year. I never done it before, and considered selling a firearm on consignment through a dealer. The FFL was saying something about new forms that needed to be filled out, through all dealers, per the ATF. To also add, if the firearm (for whatever reason) did not sell, paperwork (as if buying new), BGC, and registration of my already registered to me firearm would come into play.

I'm lost. WTH? :confused:

I thought I seen something relative to the subject. I can't find it.

Considering the time of year (holidays) funds have dried up until after the new year. I never done it before, and considered selling a firearm on consignment through a dealer. The FFL was saying something about new forms that needed to be filled out, through all dealers, per the ATF. To also add, if the firearm (for whatever reason) did not sell, paperwork (as if buying new), BGC, and registration of my already registered to me firearm would come into play.

if its an FDE Aero M5 lower I will take it off your sweet hands.

There is no firearm registration in Oregon ( except Federal NFA ) . Filling out a BGC does not register a firearm to you no matter what the tin foil hat guys want to believe. In putting a firearm up for a consignment sale you are transferring it to the dealer. If the dealer transfers it to anyone else including you they have to do a BGC. The fact that you owned it before you transferred it to the dealer makes no difference. You still transferred it to the dealer and to get it back consider it a fresh sale . Yes, it sucks but its still the law. Same thing applies if you pawn a gun. You transfer ownership to the pawn shop . If you pay off your pawn ticket it returns to your ownership but you have to do a BGC first.

There is no firearm registration in Oregon ( except Federal NFA ) . Filling out a BGC does not register a firearm to you no matter what the tin foil hat guys want to believe. In putting a firearm up for a consignment sale you are transferring it to the dealer. If the dealer transfers it to anyone else including you they have to do a BGC. The fact that you owned it before you transferred it to the dealer makes no difference. You still transferred it to the dealer and to get it back consider it a fresh sale . Yes, it sucks but its still the law. Same thing applies if you pawn a gun. You transfer ownership to the pawn shop . If you pay off your pawn ticket it returns to your ownership but you have to do a BGC first.
That sums it up in one post.
Thanks for the crash course!

FWIW thats Federal not state...

"How does a licensee return a consignment firearm to its original owner?

Consignment firearms have always required the completion of an ATF Form 4473 upon return of the firearm to the person who placed it in consignment. These firearms are placed in the licensee's business inventory for sale and at that time they are entered in the licensee's business acquisition and disposition record book. If the licensee does not sell the firearm, it may be returned to the unlicensed individual. At that time, an appropriate entry is made in the licensee's acquisition and disposition record book as a disposition from the business inventory and the ATF Form 4473 is completed. Therefore, if a consignment firearm is not sold and returned to the person who placed it into consignment, a NICS check is required."

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center...ountability-questions-and-answerspdf/download

There is no firearm registration in Oregon ( except Federal NFA ) . Filling out a BGC does not register a firearm to you no matter what the tin foil hat guys want to believe.

Unofficial registration in Oregon. From Senate bill 941:

"(7)(a) The department may retain a record of the information obtained during a request for a criminal [records] history record check for no more than five years"

"(2) The transferor shall retain the completed form referred to in subsection (1) of this section for at least five years and shall make the completed form available to law enforcement agencies for the purpose of criminal investigations."

So they can find out what you own if you did a transfer after SB 941 went into effect. If they decide to ban a type of gun they can find the record of who owns those guns and send a letter demanding they have to be turned in for destruction

I also dont trust the state to destroy those records after 5 years.

Sure sounds like registration except for the fact that you dont have to show disposition. I buy a gun and the state guys come to my door 4 years later. I don't have it. Sold it to some guy through some dealer out of state. Didnt keep any records of the transaction either because I'm not required to. Sorry. Nothing they can do. People might consider that registration scheme but its the worst one in the world.

Sure sounds like registration except for the fact that you dont have to show disposition. I buy a gun and the state guys come to my door 4 years later. I don't have it. Sold it to some guy through some dealer out of state. Didnt keep any records of the transaction either because I'm not required to. Sorry. Nothing they can do. People might consider that registration scheme but its the worst one in the world.

My concern is based on how little I trust our legislators and how they continue to inch toward the goals of Bloomberg. The next set of laws could expand this.

Also, people should know they are holding onto this information for at least 5 years after a BGC.

Another way to sell if you are comfortable having buyers come to you is Armslist. You can put up pics and an ad free. If someone is interested they can come and look. If they want the gun then you can arrange to meet them at a dealer to do the paper work. If you want to do this best to talk to a dealer first. See if they do this and how much they charge.

My concern is based on how little I trust our legislators and how they continue to inch toward the goals of Bloomberg. The next set of laws could expand this.

Also, people should know they are holding onto this information for at least 5 years after a BGC.

There are plenty of examples of actual firearms registration in this country where applications for the transfer, registration logs ( even cards ) are exchanged, fees levied, transfer, registration logs and records logs maintained etc.

The Oregon and Washington transfer laws basically only amount to a record of the sale with no provision for organized record keeping or enforcement of title after the sale. Come to my house looking for guns I bought with a 4473/BGC and except for the NFA stuff ...my dog at them. Prove otherwise and prosecute me with the non existent law. Things may change but for now I'm not going to call what we have "registration" because I know what registration is.

Another way to sell if you are comfortable having buyers come to you is Armslist. You can put up pics and an ad free. If someone is interested they can come and look. If they want the gun then you can arrange to meet them at a dealer to do the paper work. If you want to do this best to talk to a dealer first. See if they do this and how much they charge.

I also heard about this place to sell guns called Northwest Firearms! o_O

There is a new 4473 coming, 11e is clarified that although marijuana is legal in states it's still illegal on the federal level etc.

So if this is the new form... that's it.

In Washington, private sales need to go through a FFL. The buyer and seller go to the FFL and the buyer needs to pass a BGC.

A local gun store to me, will do transfers; which are a little different and might be handled like a consignment. You the seller, take the firearm and check it in to the FFL, and this FFL makes it a two day process. Then the buyer comes in and they do a BGC and if they pass, they can pick up the firearm on the second day. What I thought was interesting was if the buyer didn't pass the BGC, the seller would have to pass a BGC before taking back custody of the firearm.

So whatever you decide to do make sure you know the rules of whoever you have sell and handle the transaction.

In Washington, private sales need to go through a FFL. The buyer and seller go to the FFL and the buyer needs to pass a BGC.

A local gun store to me, will do transfers; which are a little different and might be handled like a consignment. You the seller, take the firearm and check it in to the FFL, and this FFL makes it a two day process. Then the buyer comes in and they do a BGC and if they pass, they can pick up the firearm on the second day. What I thought was interesting was if the buyer didn't pass the BGC, the seller would have to pass a BGC before taking back custody of the firearm.

So whatever you decide to do make sure you know the rules of whoever you have sell and handle the transaction.

Exactly why I wont sell to anyone without a CPL. Im not going to wait more than 10 minutes for that BGC to clear and Im sure as hell not leaving my gun there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top