JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are we huntin opening morn? You bet cha!

Looks like rain all day in NE Clark County area. Heaviest from Noon to 5 pm. Wind gusts pick up heavier around 1-ish pm (peaks 55mph from 1-4 pm). Most likely the same or worse in the forest. Might need to get outta there by noon so as not to get blocked in by fallen down trees.

Wish I had a chain saw, but instead, bringing extra overnight gear in case I get marooned in the woods.

Think deer move around more in wind and rain or do they hunker down under trees? Also, do they strategize about what humans do? Like, do we hunker down in the truck or sit out in the rain?

Waited all year! Not letting weather take it away! 6:55 am I'm goin "BOOM!"

Cogs

Spent too much so far! Can't afford a chain saw. But I already packed a tent and a sleeping bag!... Also bringing a cordless sawz-all, limb saw, hatchet, rope, tow chain, extra blankets, propane heaters, freeze dried foods, ect... ect... All for just a day in the woods!

Love it!

Think deer move around more in wind and rain or do they hunker down under trees? Also, do they strategize about what humans do? Like, do we hunker down in the truck or sit out in the rain?
no, no and yes.

no science behind this but just my own opinion. I hunted opening weekend here and it rained and we saw deer every day.... I don't think the deer move around more in the rain, but I don't think they move around less either. We flushed up a doe and another deer in deep timber and several others in clearcuts. Sneak up on those cuts like a fishing hole and glass for ears and antler tine tips, they see you and lay down and hide... the does will eventually flush for timber if you wait long enough.

Now to me... rain is much different than a storm and man we have a duzy coming in... I'm guessing they might hunker down more I would focus more on deeper timber groves than cuts but man this storm is a big one keep alert for trees falling and flying branches. Good luck out there.

Ha! Yep, jr, got the freeze dried bags for dinner and breakfast, in case we're stuck over night, (and if we have backstraps, heart and liver, well, who could ask for anything more! (I could... a shot of something Irish!)). Also have the Jet Boil to cook em. We'll be eatin high on the hog! Also bringing all the other stuff associated with a surprise over night stay at our favorite lodge in the woods. But, most likely, I'll be a reasonable guy and head home before the storm.

Hey, it's adventure. It's memories. It's fun!

Might as well. Ya never know. Might be fun. Might not.

no, no and yes.

no science behind this but just my own opinion. I hunted opening weekend here and it rained and we saw deer every day.... I don't think the deer move around more in the rain, but I don't think they move around less either. We flushed up a doe and another deer in deep timber and several others in clearcuts. Sneak up on those cuts like a fishing hole and glass for ears and antler tine tips, they see you and lay down and hide... the does will eventually flush for timber if you wait long enough.

Now to me... rain is much different than a storm and man we have a duzy coming in... I'm guessing they might hunker down more I would focus more on deeper timber groves than cuts but man this storm is a big one keep alert for trees falling and flying branches. Good luck out there.
Yeah, Koda, sounds like a mixed bag. We'll pull out the stops and go with the gut feeling. A little of everything. The falling trees and branches are my big concerns. I'm sure I'll lean to the open spaces most of the time. Just hope I have good enough gear to enable me to stay out there without chillin out too much.

Hunt on!

Having hunted the wet side my entire life, I do believe the wetter and stormier the better. During heavy rain, I find blacktail to be up and about, more, and longer than when the weather is clear.

WAYNO.

Well isn't that just peachy! Came home at noon just because Noaa said there'll be a storm... Oh yeah? Where? Rain stopped at noon. Not much of a wind out here in Washougal. S'up Noaa? So much for your 'Pin Point Micro Forecast'! Got me all worked up 'bout nuttin! Truck all loaded up with emergency crap and no room for guns! Should have listened to the old Chief down the street who said "Many moons will pass before another great storm". Boy, this really chaps my butt!

We did, however see a doe at 50 yrds in the dark. Eyes were glowing as it was laying down in the brush. Thought it might be Cougar. Waited for more light and verified no horns so we moved on. And 5 Elk moved horizontal to us just under 200 yards away. And it was really great to be out there with my son! (Best part)!

(Actually, we were both soaking wet and starting to get too cold. But that's not why we came home. Oh no, not at all ;)).

Tomorrow's another day. (Boy, isn't that a prophetic statement)!

Game on!

You got that right Cogs. What storm? Rain and a little wind but nothing like what was being reported happened.
I missed a 3 pointer. A tree jumped out in front of him. That tree will never do that again.
Won't be-able to get back out until the late season.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top