JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe that Pick knew the gun was illegal and he certainly knew it was an auto so he willing committed a crime. I however think the punishment is way over the top. His actions alone should be indicative of his intent which was lawful. This is wrong.

Last Edited:
I was surprised by the number of freshly-minted law-and-order types saying he got what he deserved (in the Comments).
No doubt the ones who would happily lock this man away for 7 yrs would weep openly as illegal aliens are frog marched into a detention center for processing.

Sorry, critical thinking kicked in...

1. ATF was 'searching' for the LG a year ago?
Why were they searching in the first place?
How did the know whom/where to search?
What initiated the ATF to search after all these years?
2. Illegal marijuana usage mentioned?
3. Spent a year in county hoosegow before sentencing?
4. No legal beagle mentioned in the article?

Who leaked the story to the newspeek media & why - sympathy angle or anti gun perspective?

Yet illegals who repeatedly ignore our immigration laws (sometimes to the tune of 5 deportations) can 'find' a firearm, accidentally murder your daughter and get away with it. I think Americans live in the best nation on this planet, but damn it's still got some glaring flaws......

I wonder if Jose Zarata will get 7 years?

Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate to Face Federal Firearm Charges in the Northern District of California

In my mind Mr. Pick is only guilty of owning something that his peers couldn't keep track of. That is what it boils down to.

If a gun owner in America is in possession of an illegal firearm can we start calling them illegals? That way they can become the new protected class! Why not there is crazy double standards everywhere else around here.

Yet illegals who repeatedly ignore our immigration laws (sometimes to the tune of 5 deportations) can 'find' a firearm, accidentally murder your daughter and get away with it. I think Americans live in the best nation on this planet, but damn it's still got some glaring flaws......

I wonder if Jose Zarata will get 7 years?

Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate to Face Federal Firearm Charges in the Northern District of California

In my mind Mr. Pick is only guilty of owning something that his peers couldn't keep track of. That is what it boils down to.

If a gun owner in America is in possession of an illegal firearm can we start calling them illegals? That way they can become the new protected class! Why not there is crazy double standards everywhere else around here.
That gun was not illegal - just an undocumented NFA item.

Being a Veteran/Winning a ''Silver Star''. And breaking the law have nothing to do with one another.
Is a ''Metal of Honor'' recipient cleared to commit murder? Of course not.

If you own ''any'' gun with an altered/removed serial number. Your looking at jail time.
We all know that.

Do we all know that? o_O

Being a Veteran/Winning a ''Silver Star''. And breaking the law have nothing to do with one another.
Is a ''Metal of Honor'' recipient cleared to commit murder? Of course not.

If you own ''any'' gun with an altered/removed serial number. Your looking at jail time.
We all know that.

Do we all know that? o_O

Given his previous service to the country and judging by the article a lack of danger to society, 7 years to a 70yo is near life.

The laws are out there, what get's picked to be enforced is pretty much up to fate and luck of the draw. On the prosecution side, it seems that leniency might've been more wisely applied in this particular case. Make him a felon, take all of his guns away, give him long probation, at age 70 that might've been a better approach. If we know the entire story which we may not.

They are putting him in prison just in time to pay for all his expensive, end of life medical treatments.

I'm getting close to 70 myself, I'd go to almost any lengths to avoid prison time.

I was wondering, "serial number scratched out." How do you "scratch out" the serial number on the receiver heel of an M14??! More like "ground off." Journalism. The article says the ATF was "looking for the rifle." Which sounds like they had inside information in order to know where to look. I suppose if they were actively looking for stolen M14's, they could turn the entire country inside out and find a few more. But in this case, they knew right were to look for one.

Owning an illegal automatic weapon like that, it's kinda like owning a piece of rare artwork stolen by some GI in Europe in 1945. You enjoy it privately but never show it to anyone. Kinda takes the joy out of "look what I've got."

Last Edited:
Pretty stiff sentence that's for sure and a little over the top .

Still..
Altered ser# is enough to make me to not even touch it.
Altered # and FA real deal M14 and I don't even want to be in the same zip code .

I'm sure visions of PVC piping and cosmoline would be entertaining but entertaining Bubba ain't in the master plan .

Is a ''Metal of Honor'' recipient cleared to commit murder?

If you own ''any'' gun with an altered serial number. Your looking a jail time.
We all know that.

Do we all know that? o_O
But is it right? The NFA and the 1968 GCA are affronts to our freedom. The NFA has only become somewhat less of a hindrance due to monetary inflation.

If an American citizens only crime is not complying with registration I personally don't see that as a crime at all. I don't think the risk is worth the reward so I'm not in the flout the law camp, but everyone is going to draw a line somewhere. What is your threshold for compliance?

Is it:
Capacity
Number of firearms you can own
Amount of ammunition you are allowed to have on hand
Storage requirements
Licensing
REGISTRATION.......

Or maybe I'm overreacting?
concentration-camp-victims.jpg

I understand that laws rules and regulations are in place. That doesn't make them right. I don't want to see absolute anarchy. I don't. But is an otherwise lawful citizen who ignores an unreasonable restriction or request actually a bad guy? Sure as heck seems like we are quick to put that label on them.

Right. Undocumented vs. Illegal. The hypocrisy never ends.
I'm not suggesting people break the law. Just playing along with the immigration theme. He should have known better. But I agree the sentence seems harsh. Seems like they could have seized his firearms and put him on probation, sentence suspended, given his clean record. He must have gotten the "wrong" judge.

I'm not suggesting people break the law. Just playing along with the immigration theme. He should have known better. But I agree the sentence seems harsh. Seems like they could have seized his firearms and put him on probation, sentence suspended, given his clean record. He must have gotten the "wrong" judge.
Immigration? Immigrants come here legally. Invaders come here illegally.

I threw that out there in my first reply and admit it is somewhat conflating the issue, but only somewhat. The selective adherence to the rule of law is a huge problem. They want to control our access to arms but refuse to protect our nations border. Their inaction also leaves us exposed to VISA overstays. And my personal favorite the anchor baby. There is no way in hell a person here illegally should have their crotchfruit automatically become a U.S. citizen. And incidentally by allowing all this illegal immigration and dimwittery to continue they swell their ranks of voters. It is a neat scheme.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews