JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And it wasn't even for a rifle that is worth the full auto capability... Sad story all around.

I like to do this thing where I replace the word government with "next door neighbor" for stuff I read about. Sounds all sorts of silly when you do that, give it a try some time... Shows how egalitarian society it is not.

Goes from a story about a guy getting arrested to a creepy neighbor locking someone in their basement.

We have to remember we are not talking the Moral Courts, here. We are talking the Court of Law.
My issue is the removed serial number. Unless its a pre-1890's rifle and he collects? he knew.
I had the op 30 years ago I think it was to buy a Army Issue Colt Pistol, and drop it like a hot rock when I saw the serial missing.

Not sure what he was thinking, at the very least he should have contacted the ATF and said hey is this OK to have with no serial?
I did that with my police issue Sig when I got it, wanted to make sure it was cool to own own it, OSP said ya.

Not trying to second guess the guy, but that was dumb thing to do.

That was my exact thought?

I saw somewhere else it was a tip to the ATF. so he showed it off to someone he shouldnt have trusted or someone at a range decided to snitch on him.

So glad our republican majority has reined in the ATF and gave us back our rights instead of common sense gun laws like jailing 70 old vets for not registering a rifle when it was legal to buy. He would have got off if he was an illegal alien.

Last Edited:
But is it right? The NFA and the 1968 GCA are affronts to our freedom. The NFA has only become somewhat less of a hindrance due to monetary inflation.

If an American citizens only crime is not complying with registration I personally don't see that as a crime at all. I don't think the risk is worth the reward so I'm not in the flout the law camp, but everyone is going to draw a line somewhere. What is your threshold for compliance?

Is it:
Capacity
Number of firearms you can own
Amount of ammunition you are allowed to have on hand
Storage requirements
Licensing
REGISTRATION.......

Or maybe I'm overreacting?
View attachment 509985

I understand that laws rules and regulations are in place. That doesn't make them right. I don't want to see absolute anarchy. I don't. But is an otherwise lawful citizen who ignores an unreasonable restriction or request actually a bad guy? Sure as heck seems like we are quick to put that label on them.

Do I think all gun laws are right?
HeII no!

But I follow every one to the letter. And I keep up on the new laws.
I don't like it. But it's necessary in keeping my butt out of trouble.

Last Edited:
If an American citizens only crime is not complying with registration I personally don't see that as a crime at all. I don't think the risk is worth the reward so I'm not in the flout the law camp, but everyone is going to draw a line somewhere. What is your threshold for compliance?

Or maybe I'm overreacting?
View attachment 509985

I understand that laws rules and regulations are in place. That doesn't make them right. I don't want to see absolute anarchy. I don't. But is an otherwise lawful citizen who ignores an unreasonable restriction or request actually a bad guy? Sure as heck seems like we are quick to put that label on them.

We are all liable to find ourselves in the same predicament shortly. If I-1639 passes in WA, and Brownstain is re-elected in OR, we will most likely be deemed criminals. For minding our own business and not bothering anyone. :s0003:

As a former employee of the Mult. Co. D.A.'s office, I strongly suspect there's more to the story than appears on the surface. I'd have to listen to the sentencing hearing before coming to an opinion. Does he have a criminal record, especially anything that involves domestic violence, assault, or the like? Was he on probation? I think that by now we should all be sceptical of news reports, and not take them at face value.

I was in Vietnam early enough that our standard issue was the M-14. In my opinion, as a battle-rifle it was far superior to the M-16, except on full auto—then it was an uncontrollable noise-maker, unless used with a bipod, which no one had. The only advantage of the M-16 is that it and its ammo are much lighter, and if you don't think grunts are lazy, you don't know grunts...:p

Max

Ive known people ( plural ) who converted guns into machine guns and got caught ( know a lot more that didnt get caught ) who did 2 years or less. Ive known someone who had a house full of that stuff i.e machine guns, SBR's, grenade launchers etc and he got 7 years and he had multiple felony priors and had done prison time.

I need better friends.

There are a couple issues here
1. He bought a firearm with the serial number removed. I don't care if the gun shoots $100 bills and grants wishes...this is a terrible idea...it's also illegal.
2. He bought a fully automatic firearm without the proper paperwork. Is not being allowed to own a machine gun ridiculous? Maybe. But the law is really clear about the process to acquire a machine gun and has been for 80 years.
3. It seems pretty clear the M-14 was U.S. Government property. This isn't Bubba building an AR in his garage and selling it to a friend. The rifle was paid for and is owned by taxpayers until the government releases it. All those great M1 Garands from the CMP and police trade-in Glocks? Those all have clear paper trails releasing the governments interest in the firearm. I guarantee if one of us had a rifle stolen we'd want it back too.

Are there gun laws that deserve a big eye roll? You bet. Are there some that should be repealed? Absolutely.

But he knowingly bought a stolen gun. Being a veteran has nothing to do with his actions.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top