Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Video for those who carry mouseguns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Blitzkrieg, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

2. TYFOON

TYFOON Bend, OR Member

That video is no joke, I was attached by a melon not to long ago:)

jk.

I enjoyed the vid thanks!

PDXSparky and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Blitzkrieg

Welcome.. the important factoid is you shoot them with the 22 and they are hurt but shoot you back with a 9MM to 45, guess the results?

4. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Wonder if he was shooting FMJ in all calibers.
    My most accurate handgun by far is my Ruger MkIII Hunter .22LR. If by some strange event I had to use it for self defense I would be going for head shots

5. Blitzkrieg

Lots of folks think that until they try to engage a moving target at longer than short distances. BTW 22s are famous for bouncing off bone

6. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

Neighbor of mine shoots deer that try to get into his garden (Shot 5 one year... and to think I go into the mountains hunting for them... I just needed a garden!)

He uses a single shot .22 rifle and had two in his garden once, so he shot the first one in the head and it dropped, then he went back into the house to get another bullet for the second deer. When he came back out the second deer had run off, but the one he shot in the head was standing and nibbling on his garden again!

He decided heart shots were the way to go from then on.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Blitzkrieg

I'll be able to hunt them on our homesite when we build our new home. Plan to plant raspberries a short distance away, that should draw them in and if not I'll use a feeder. Our regular gardens will be enclosed. I'll use a Mauser 7.62 NATO and my softpoints

8. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Thats a cool vid, I ran across it last week while i was researching that 22 TCM round. 2000 fps 40 gr in a 1911 pistol intrigues me.

I still don't understand this irrational hatred of watermelons though... :)

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Some watermelons are bad ju ju, raised by criminal elements. .22's are known to bounce off bone, and the head is a small target when moving. Just read where a guy was shot 22 times by a 9mm and still lived. Even .40, or .45 is no sure stop. Personally I like Hermiston watermelons,never shoot them as they are good eating. Thanks for the vidio,was good. Spad

10. Blitzkrieg

Some are bad seed, they need killin'

11. mac9990

mac9990 Salem, Oregon Member

More people (outside of wars) are killed by 22s than any other round. Placement is everything

12. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

The reason for this statistic is that there are so many .22s on the planet. Not that the shooter was a great shot. More people are shot by .22s. That is the reason for more fatalities by .22s.

13. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

A .45 does more damage than a .22? I never would have guessed that without the video!;)

14. OregonG20

OregonG20 Junction City New Member

agreed.

15. Blitzkrieg

Killing does not matter. Only a quick stop when the issue is self defense. Many of those people die hours or days later after killing or beating whoever shot them with those tiny slugs. . Even far more powerful rounds sometimes do not work, and perfect placement in combat is not as easy as arm chair commandos seem to think

16. Blitzkrieg

This is also a factor

17. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

Rub a YouTube search for: Hog's head ballistics

THAT stuff is crazy. Any questions about 9mm will be put to rest when people see what Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124gr do through 4 layers of denim, dense bone, and tissue. Absolutely incredible. If you put that round on target, it will get the job done. Thoroughly.

18. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

HERE WE GO... the caliber wars begin again.
    Okay, so you can kill a hog's head, but what can you do against a Bull Watermelon? I'm talkin' a thirteen-pounder here!
    .45 ACP Glaser vs. watermelon - YouTube

And BTW, (.355/.452)**2 = 0.617, so the wound channel produced by a 9mm is less than 5/8 the cross-section of that produced by a .45ACP.
    Or put another way, if 0.617 = (X/.355)**2, then X=0.278, so the wound channel from a .28 caliber is to a nine's wound channel as a nine's is to a .45's wound channel. Go mouse guns!

19. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Brings to mind an old saying "There is no replacement for displacement".

But then there is another "A .22 in your pocket is better than the .45 at home in your safe"

I will stick with my mouse gun, a Sig P938 9mm because I can carry it in everything I wear.

20. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

Chemist,

I hope you didn't just leap to the conclusion that my enthusiasm for the 9mm was also a dismissal of any other caliber.

The Hog's Head Ballistics videos show samples from various calibers-- .380, 9mm, .357 mag, .223, 5.56... and .45...

Personally, I choose the 9mm because I believe that it is the best choice *for me*. That is s far cry from saying it is best for everyone.